Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 07:11 PM

186 posts, read 313,414 times

Advertisements

Why? Everyone I know including a majority of people on this forum hate it. I actually like windows 8 because of its convinces. Why does everyone hate it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 07:32 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
People don't like change. Nevermind that the new Start screen is superior to the old menu in pretty much every way.

Personally I like 8. Metro is really nice and the under the hood changes are a solid improvement.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:36 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,249,114 times
A handful of mistakes by Microsoft, and the unwillingness of people to learn. Majority of The haters are either adamant windows users or Mac users. Microsoft made some awful decisions that impacted their users.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:39 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,685,206 times
I use it (8.1). Haven't had any major issues or concerns as of yet.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:48 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,974,657 times
Because if I am using a mouse and keyboard, I do not wish to be forced to use an interface designed for a touch screen. I think many of the hate could have been easily remedied. Give the user a choice. You want the classic start menu? Here, enjoy. You want the touch screen friendly interface? Here enjoy. Everybody happy. But.. Microshaft decided they were going to say "you either use touch screen interface or pay for a third party add-on to get the old start menu." There's other issues that I have heard of, but that is the main complaint that I keep hearing. And I agree with the hate. I have a desktop, not a tablet, give me my start menu of old.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:57 PM

47 posts, read 70,900 times
I think it's because of the new Start Screen, and they find it confusing to switch between the Desktop and Start Screen paradigm. I personally like the flexibility and paradigm switching of the new Windows 8 setup. I didn't like the Start Menu anyway, and pretty much only used it for the search feature. Everything else was an icon on the desktop, or pinned to my Quick Launch bar.

The advantages of it are a lot more obvious if you have a Microsoft Surface Pro and a good Touchscreen monitor. I can use full Office and all my old x86 apps on my tablet if I need them, and all the apps I download on my surface can be used on the desktop, too.

It's REALLY enjoyable if you play around with those. But it's really only a slight learning curve without them... I find the interface works pretty well with a mouse once you learn it. I do have one Windows 8 laptop with no touch.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,870 posts, read 81,892,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
Because if I am using a mouse and keyboard, I do not wish to be forced to use an interface designed for a touch screen. I think many of the hate could have been easily remedied. Give the user a choice. You want the classic start menu? Here, enjoy. You want the touch screen friendly interface? Here enjoy. Everybody happy. But.. Microshaft decided they were going to say "you either use touch screen interface or pay for a third party add-on to get the old start menu." There's other issues that I have heard of, but that is the main complaint that I keep hearing. And I agree with the hate. I have a desktop, not a tablet, give me my start menu of old.
I agree. Windows 7 was a great improvement over XP, and while some people resisted due to it being "different" there wasn't much of a learning curve and many benefits. For 8, people were forced to deal with something designed for hardware they didn't have or want.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:43 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,883,509 times

Windows 8: The Animated Evaluation - YouTube

^^^ what he said.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:51 PM

582 posts, read 781,966 times
I love the new interface when using a touch screen. It is extremely easy to use, fast and I can better choose how I want the start screen to appear. However, it is not very good as a mouse interface. It would be nice if it allowed mice used to bring up the desktop screen automatically. I have it on both my phone and my laptop, it just works great.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:01 PM

582 posts, read 781,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Windows 8: The Animated Evaluation - YouTube[/url]

^^^ what he said.
That video is a big load of garbage. I had to turn it off after only 5 minute because it stated so many item that were wrong. I don't know if the guy just had no computer experience or he just wanted to make a video hacking at windows. It is an extremely easy touch interface.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers