Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 06:11 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,973,276 times

Advertisements

I hate windows 8 and still do. It took a perfectly useable/user friendly interface and then I had to learn to do it all different, for no good reason. I still find moving files and pictures around takes more steps and is more trouble than XP. And the worst part is, lots of my old programs no longer work. The other thing that was a pain was that I couldn't even get my printer to run, and it wasn't all that old. HP kept saying that new drivers would be coming soon. I'm still waiting. My Commuter Science son came over and had to get it going for me.

And don't tell me I'm old and can't adopt new stuff. I'm one of those guys who started on DOS, and had to go into the system and reconfigure the memory to get it to run my flight simulator programs.

On XP you could find all your programs and all the accessories that come with windows just off the start menu. Easy. Not anymore. What a PIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 06:49 AM

3,466 posts, read 4,871,113 times
I despise windows 8. I have tried to get used to it and just absolutely do not like it. I use a computer for getting work done, not playing games or playing with apps and looking a facebook......I don't even use facebook or twitter. I also have never liked clutter on my desktop and never had icons on it so windows 8 drives me insane with those stupid tiles.

I use Windows 7, Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux regularly and I can transition from one to the other with no problems at all. The interface is similar and easy to navigate. Windows 8.....not so much, it puts this stupid tiled metro garbage between me and what I need to do. I also prefer having multiple windows and applications all open at the same time where I can just simply click between them or place them on my screen however I see fit.

I have now been putting off buying a new desktop PC for a little over a year hoping maybe a new version or windows 9 will come along that at least gives me the choice to switch between a classic windows 7/xp type interface or that piece of garbage metro. I am to the point now, I am considering ordering a new desktop with windows 7 before they disappear completely. Luckily I bought a new laptop with windows 7 just as 8 was coming out so I won't need a laptop for a while.

I could go on and on about why I don't like and probably never will like Windows 8. I am going to do my best to completely skip over it like I did Vista. If it comes to the point where I can't put the desktop off anymore and have to get one, I will be in the position of whether to get a Windows 8 machine and just dual boot it with Ubuntu so I can use Linux the majority of the time and just switch to windows when absolutely necessary or as bad as I hate to do it......buy a Mac.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:39 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,587,015 times
The guy needs a to learn Windows 8

Windows 8 For Dummies Cheat Sheet - For Dummies

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post

Old 01-10-2014, 03:36 PM

859 posts, read 3,000,107 times
Oh my gosh people; Windows 8.1 is really NOT that difficult.

I have no experience with Windows 8, but Windows 8.1 is free, so upgrade.

The real issue is we like things to remain the same and are resistant to change.

Well,.......Change Is The Future, so rather than fight it, embrace it.

Again, Windows is NOT that difficult.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:21 AM

43,514 posts, read 77,526,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post

The real issue is we like things to remain the same and are resistant to change.

Really.
I'm all W7 with no need for new hardware, but after getting Windowsphone and tablet, all the wailing makes me want to buy a new laptop just to give it a go.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 01-11-2014 at 05:49 AM..

Old 01-11-2014, 09:31 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,185,788 times
Quote:
Judging by the amount of backlash, it is difficult for some folks. I'll say that most people on this forum are tech savy and can make things work, but what MS doesn't understand is that there are plenty of people out there who have used computers for a long time, but are not 'computer people'; they basically use it as an appliance and they've grown used to doing things the same way they've done it for the last 18 years without any problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Really.
I'm all W7 with no need for new hardware, but after getting Windowsphone and tablet, all the wailing makes me want to buy a new laptop just to give it a go.
And that's exactly what MS wants you to do.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:44 AM

3,466 posts, read 4,871,113 times
Quote:

Most people don't say anything about it being "difficult." I know I didn't. I am a software engineer and am on computers constantly. I work in windows and linux environments so I can find my way around an operating system. I just hate the design of windows 8.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:59 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,247,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Most people don't say anything about it being "difficult." I know I didn't. I am a software engineer and am on computers constantly. I work in windows and linux environments so I can find my way around an operating system. I just hate the design of windows 8.
There are inherent design issues with Windows 8/8.1. The biggest being that they included the classic interface which gives Windows 8 a split personality. If they can solve the problem where they have to include the classic "Windows 95" interface, then they'd have a more useable product.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:02 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,247,429 times
Quote:

Windows 8.1 made significant improvements over Windows 8. Especially with bringing the start button back and making it easier to perform simple tasks like shutting down. The charms menu was a cause of significant frustration in Windows 8. It's improved in Windows 8.1.

Yes, there's a resistance to change. But it's apparent that the new Windows UI is still a work in progress. The day that Windows will no longer need to include the antiquated "Windows 95" UI of the 90s, will be the day that the new UI will be great.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:40 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,185,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Yes, there's a resistance to change. But it's apparent that the new Windows UI is still a work in progress. The day that Windows will no longer need to include the antiquated "Windows 95" UI of the 90s, will be the day that the new UI will be great.
For the 123,214th time, explain to me how the Metro interface helps with my productivity and what's wrong with the "antiquated Windows 95" UI? Do you also complain about the century old UI of your car, with a big steering wheel in front of you and pedals for gas and brake? Or about door knobs? What about toilet paper, should we change the UI of it too? Seashells anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers