Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 06:41 AM

16,679 posts, read 15,688,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
AdAware isn't the problem - it's almost certainly hardware related. The STOP code you reported is indicative of a failure to read data that has been paged to the disk.
You are probably correct in that it is not AdAware causing the problem. It is simply making the problem show up when it scans the file or disk sector containing the problem.

I would think it might be possible to narrow down the problem by scanning root directory folders one at a time to start narrowing down which files contain the problem data or reside on the problem sector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 07:21 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,175,551 times
I have to agree that getting a blue screen while running a scan program (especially with that code) is highly indicative of hardware failure. I would backup as much as possible to an external drive of sorts so that you don't lose everything overnight. At least with the blue screen, you've got some forewarning.

Depending upon how much data you want to keep will determine what kind of external drive. While I have an external Terabyte's worth of storage capacity ((1/3 already used up!)), my boss only needed a 4GB flash drive to backup his failing computer.

Tek_freek mentioned using chkdsk /r /f . I double recommend doing this, but only after you backup your stuff!!! In case you don't know how to run this (don't know your proficiency, and others less proficient who skim across this can get it)

Go to the Start Menu.
Click Run
Type in CMD
In the dos window, type in chkdsk /r /f

You will need to reboot, and upon doing so, the computer will check every sector of the hard disk.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:32 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,953,497 times
More information: When I boot up first thing, I get an error message:

ERROR: C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPOOL\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\LXBTTIME .dll. I then hit OK and proceed until I do a scan again and get a blue screen.. Could this have something to do with it?

BTW, I also got a blue screen last week (per my other thread) when scanning with AVG, so I don't think it's AdAware but something getting picked up when scans are done. I agree with swagger.

Again thanks for your help!!!!!

Old 12-09-2008, 09:07 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
taurus, have you run the programs I mentioned in my earlier post? If not I'm wasting my time trying to help you and will leave it to others. If you have you should let us all know so we can reassess the problem and go on from there.

LXBTtime.dll is related to Lexmark printers.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
taurus, have you run the programs I mentioned in my earlier post? If not I'm wasting my time trying to help you and will leave it to others. If you have you should let us all know so we can reassess the problem and go on from there.

LXBTtime.dll is related to Lexmark printers.
Tek_Freak: I did run the programs you mentioned last night. No report or anything, I just logged on this morn as usual. I did have a Lexmark printer that I uninstalled. If you feel you are wasting your time on here, why bother. I'm sure there are others that will help, thanks!!!

Old 12-09-2008, 10:24 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
It's looking more and more like you have some disk issues. Back up your data - even if the disk isn't the problem, backing up is never a bad idea...

Bad sectors on drives can be a lot like rust - they can start very small and grow, destroying whatever's in their path.

I'm not sure where that dll error is originating, but if it's appearing when you first log in, it's probably something in the startup group or registry trying to load it. Click Start/Run and type msconfig. Then click the Startup tab and see if you can find that command somewhere in the list. If so, disable it and reboot. That should "fix" that problem, but you really need to determine the root cause of all these things.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
It's looking more and more like you have some disk issues. Back up your data - even if the disk isn't the problem, backing up is never a bad idea...

Bad sectors on drives can be a lot like rust - they can start very small and grow, destroying whatever's in their path.

I'm not sure where that dll error is originating, but if it's appearing when you first log in, it's probably something in the startup group or registry trying to load it. Click Start/Run and type msconfig. Then click the Startup tab and see if you can find that command somewhere in the list. If so, disable it and reboot. That should "fix" that problem, but you really need to determine the root cause of all these things.
Hi, I did the above and did not find that command there.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:08 AM

16,679 posts, read 15,688,422 times
It won't be that command. That file is a .dll (dynamic link library), not an executable program. What Tek_Freek said is that the file is a part of the installation for a Lexmark printer. Has the Lexmark software been uninstalled? Many printer support programs start up and hide on the SysTray down by the clock. In order to get there, they have to start with Windows, generally speaking.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:00 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It won't be that command. That file is a .dll (dynamic link library), not an executable program.
Actually, DLLs contain executable code, and can be called using the standard Windows command RUNDLL32.EXE with the DLL as an argument, usually followed by the function within the DLL to be executed.

Anyway, it was a shot in the dark. I haven't worked with many Lexmarks (that had driver issues, anyway), so I'm not familiar with how their software works. I figured that either the DLL was being run on startup, or some Lexmark app that calls the DLL was, but since he's uninstalled the software, I suspected the former.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:46 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
I don't mind helping, but reporting back with what you have and haven't done is not only polite, but essential to troubleshooting.

Go to Control Panel Add/Remove Programs and look for software related to Lexmark. If you no longer have a Lexmark then remove the software.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers