Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:16 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,650 times

Advertisements

MOD NOTE: please recall that this thread pertains to the using of an Apple in relation to a MS Wintel machine,,, not the upgrading or costs or other peripheral aspects. So, keep it germane to topic. Thanks.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:53 PM

11 posts, read 18,470 times
Default Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Yeah, who would buy a Mac for a gaming platform? Its like buying a Corvette to go offroading.
your rite about that.......u gotta stay on the straight and narrow road in a corvette............you cant go ANYWHERE u want like a 4 wheel drive MONSTER TRUCK.....

Old 07-24-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
It's ridiculous to think that one would buy a Mac for "gaming" Yes, one could play games on an Intel Mac, but there are gaming machines that do a lot better than a computer be it a PC or a Mac for playing games. Other than that, a PC is better than the Mac for "gaming." But lets be serious here: buying a computer to play games?

And you are completely wrong about upgrades: the desktop Mac allows you for any upgrade you want to, but it will cost you a lot more than a PC.
how can a gaming machine "do a lot better than a computer" , if it IS A COMPUTER , a PC COMPUTER.....?

isnt that what i said " miniscule decimal fraction of the cost "......and your talking about one particular Mac thats upgradable for $$$thousands$$$

intense GAMING + mass multiple Processing tasks = a pretty good test of a machines capabilities...if u ask me

Old 07-24-2010, 09:05 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbuilder View Post
This thread should be stickied
No, it shouldn't.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:59 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woi2ld View Post
how can a gaming machine "do a lot better than a computer" , if it IS A COMPUTER , a PC COMPUTER.....?

isnt that what i said " miniscule decimal fraction of the cost "......and your talking about one particular Mac thats upgradable for $$$thousands$$$

intense GAMING + mass multiple Processing tasks = a pretty good test of a machines capabilities...if u ask me
Gaming machines are specialized computers - they use top-end components like video cards to be able to present and compute visual-intensive games. Gaming consoles like the XBox, Playstation and Wii are basically gaming computers taken to the extreme specialization - they are designed for games and nothing else.

Sticking with the Corvette analogy, you can build a Corvette to be a 4x4 offroad beast, but you're better off starting with a truck - less investment in parts you don't need.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:

your rite about that.......u gotta stay on the straight and narrow road in a corvette............you cant go ANYWHERE u want like a 4 wheel drive MONSTER TRUCK.....
I don't think you understood the analogy correctly.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:06 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
That's good for you and all...but I submit that Apple is not for gamers in any case. They never have focused on being gaming monsters like Alienware and now Asus.
As a Macbook Pro user can't agree more, use the Macbook for serious work, the XP box for games. I shudder to think of running state-of-the-art games on an Apple system....

Old 08-08-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Gaming machines are specialized computers - they use top-end components like video cards to be able to present and compute visual-intensive games. Gaming consoles like the XBox, Playstation and Wii are basically gaming computers taken to the extreme specialization - they are designed for games and nothing else.

Sticking with the Corvette analogy, you can build a Corvette to be a 4x4 offroad beast, but you're better off starting with a truck - less investment in parts you don't need.

"gaming machines" are NOT specialized computers , A $300 Wal-Mart E-machine or Acer ( today ) , bottom of the line , with a $60 PCI Express Video Card is not " Specialized "............and is beyond the xbox360 or Playstation 3 's processing and video capabilities...

-- so now the apples a truck??? omg

Old 08-09-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
"gaming machines" are NOT specialized computers , A $300 Wal-Mart E-machine or Acer ( today ) , bottom of the line , with a $60 PCI Express Video Card is not " Specialized "............and is beyond the xbox360 or Playstation 3 's processing and video capabilities...

-- so now the apples a truck??? omg
No - you fail to see the analogy.... again.

Old 08-24-2022, 06:50 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,566,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sde s View Post
Yes I agree....... Harder to use...

That one button mouse is confusing as anything!!!!!

I have used macs but I much prefer Windows!!!
You're responding to a 12 year old post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers