Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 10:43 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I had an old macbook once and looked into upgrading the hard drive. I abandoned the idea when it appeared that I'd have to remove approximately 14,000 screws of 9,000 different sizes and practically disassemble the entire machine to get to it. Whereas the typical PC laptop's hard drive is replaceable with the removal of 1-4 screws without taking anything else apart. I also wanted to add a wireless card to it, something that would have been trivial on a PC, but the only card that would work on it had been discontinued by apple for this 3 year old machine. Apple really seems to make it as difficult as possible to NOT buy a new machine every couple of years.
Why wouldn't you just attach an external hard drive through the USB port? I bought a 500 Gig hard drive to back up our two MacBooks, partitioned it in two with one logical disk for each machine and had it up, running and backing up in about 30 seconds flat.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:06 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,899,623 times
quote: "send a resume online, the other party can't open it"

I use a Mac- wouldn't use anything else.

All you need to do is go to "save as" look at the options and send your work in a format that can be universally opened.

For example RTF, PDF, or jpeg for a photo.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:25 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Why wouldn't you just attach an external hard drive through the USB port? I bought a 500 Gig hard drive to back up our two MacBooks, partitioned it in two with one logical disk for each machine and had it up, running and backing up in about 30 seconds flat.
I wasn't looking for a backup solution. I needed more internal storage. On a LAPTOP.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:25 PM

181 posts, read 299,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The user is the weak link in any computer system's security. Windows has UAC, requiring a user to pause for a moment before giving an application permission to install or make changes to the system. The mac has the same thing but it requires even an admin to enter their password to continue. An idiot will continue either way.
Thats why in windows you should save whatever you are downloading, scan with an ativirus/maleware, then download it. i got a big old bad virus by not doing that.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbuilder View Post
Thats why in windows you should save whatever you are downloading, scan with an ativirus/maleware, then download it. i got a big old bad virus by not doing that.
Any antivirus will automatically scan things when you try to execute or open them so manually scanning isn't going to do much more. Besides, unless you wait a month for the AV definitions to get updated before scanning, your scanner could just tell you the file is OK even when its not.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:36 PM

Didn't know that, well at least it makes me feel better. LOL

Old 06-02-2010, 05:14 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
I never do that.

I never get viruses.

I just let NIS do it's thing.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:13 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
I don't quite follow this. Download, scan. Download?

I usually save downloaded programs in a folder so I can reinstall if something goes wrong or if I want to remove it and reinstall it on another machine. As long as your virus protection is up to date and on-access scanning is active, the file will be scanned when you click on it to un-zip it or run the setup.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:19 AM

Yep, Thats what I thought. But I downloaded something that was "safe" and It gave me a virus. Apparently I need to get avast or something. AVG just didn't recognize the virus I guess.....and yes I update AVG when it tells me to, so it's not that.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Yep, Thats what I thought. But I downloaded something that was "safe" and It gave me a virus. Apparently I need to get avast or something. AVG just didn't recognize the virus I guess.....and yes I update AVG when it tells me to, so it's not that.
All AV programs have a time lag between when a new piece of malicious code comes out and they update their definitions. AVG missed this one. Avast could miss the next one. That's why I said you could sit on the file for a month, scan it, and then run it. That's to give your AV time to update itself. This is why keeping your computer clean is more about your behavior than what AV software you run. It will not protect a computer against a reckless user.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers