Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 10:25 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
..... The problem isn't the Mac it's the Windows users that receive the document. .....
That is incorrect. In the real world, a vast majority of computers are running Microsoft Office of Microsoft Windows operating systems, making that the default standard to which others need to conform. In fact Open Office promotes the fact that it can read and write Microsoft Office documents. Developers for lesser used systems, such as Mac, Linux or NetWare have the burder to make their applications compatible. That burden is certainly not with the users of the majority systems.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:33 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That is incorrect. In the real world, a vast majority of computers are running Microsoft Office of Microsoft Windows operating systems, making that the default standard to which others need to conform. In fact Open Office promotes the fact that it can read and write Microsoft Office documents. Developers for lesser used systems, such as Mac, Linux or NetWare have the burder to make their applications compatible. That burden is certainly not with the users of the majority systems.
was I wrong to say that windows can't read mac os?

I don't think sooooooooo.............

Old 05-25-2010, 12:57 PM

717 posts, read 1,149,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I only use computer for personal use, typing correspondence and sending resumes. I used for microsoft programs for at least 10 years, just bought a mac a few months ago. I have had issue after issue. whenever I try to send a resume online, the other party can't open it. I can't print Avery labels the way that I used to,etc Are these problems common using the Imac?
I understand your frustration. Obviously, its just a matter of getting used to a new system. But if you're sending a resume written using Microsoft Word on Windows or Word on Mac, it should be compatible whether you send it to a windows or mac or even linux user (using open office). Unless you make use of some esoteric features of microsoft word. Stick to the rule of thumb: keep it simple.

Since you already have the mac, might as well learn how it does things. You've had at least 10 years on Windows. Give the mac 6 months to a year of use.

Once you're more familiar with it, then judge for your self : which is easier to use?- a mac or windows? Most people I've met who've made the windows-to-mac jump never go back to windows. A year from now, you might even find yourself thinking: "why doesn't windows do it this way, like the mac does?". Or not.

Personally, my preference is mac, linux (various distros) then windows, in that order. But I'm comfortable in all three.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:02 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
was I wrong to say that windows can't read mac os?

I don't think sooooooooo.............
That is trivial and unimportant. As I said before, the vast majority if computers in the world are running Windows. It doesn't matter what is better (and many are better than Windows). Back in the day, a NeXT machine was superior, and I expecially liked the operating system on an Amiga computer. Linux reads MS disks, NetWare reads MS disks and Mac reads MS disks. As a matter of fact, Microsoft's disk format is licensed for use in cameras and flash drives as well as any other machines that can use it. With over 80% of the computers in the world running Windows, Microsoft has no need to incorporate reading foreign formats.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:18 PM

717 posts, read 1,149,337 times
Quote:
... and I expecially liked the operating system on an Amiga computer.
Yes, the Amiga was fantastic for its time. It was definitely better than anyting Apple and Microsoft DOS/Windows had back then. Too bad they couldn't market it worth a dang.

For what it's worth, .odf or open document format, is a non-proprietary format, unlike Microsoft formats like .doc, .docx, xls, etc... which are proprietary. While Microsoft is dominant in the US, the open document format is slowly but surely being used in the rest of the world, probably because it's non-proprietary, and there's a lot of free or open source software that support it.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
That is trivial and unimportant. As I said before, the vast majority if computers in the world are running Windows. It doesn't matter what is better (and many are better than Windows). Back in the day, a NeXT machine was superior, and I expecially liked the operating system on an Amiga computer. Linux reads MS disks, NetWare reads MS disks and Mac reads MS disks. As a matter of fact, Microsoft's disk format is licensed for use in cameras and flash drives as well as any other machines that can use it. With over 80% of the computers in the world running Windows, Microsoft has no need to incorporate reading foreign formats.
"trivial and unimportant" my butt. The OP owns a Mac which can be set up to run Windows very easily but you choose to come back with some off the wall baloney that helps no one.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
Yes, the Amiga was fantastic for its time. It was definitely better than anyting Apple and Microsoft DOS/Windows had back then. Too bad they couldn't market it worth a dang.

For what it's worth, .odf or open document format, is a non-proprietary format, unlike Microsoft formats like .doc, .docx, xls, etc... which are proprietary. While Microsoft is dominant in the US, the open document format is slowly but surely being used in the rest of the world, probably because it's non-proprietary, and there's a lot of free or open source software that support it.
A good thing to be sure.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:21 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
I have a Macbook and use the MS Office Home edition as my standard word processing and spread sheet platform. I have experienced no compatibility problems bringing MS Office documents across from my Windows environment at work. I have also printed business cards using Avery software and Avery business card paper with no problem.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:39 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Use them both, but Mac is a lot easier to use. As Windows starts looking like Mac OS X more each day, it gets easier, too.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Use them both, but Mac is a lot easier to use. As Windows starts looking like Mac OS X more each day, it gets easier, too.
A very important step towards one user OS.

Once you consider that Windows is based on Apple's graphics interface it's only logical that windows should complete it's transformation into a universal OS based on Apple's OS X.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers