Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 12:10 AM

20,311 posts, read 37,277,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
From my experience (both as an end-user and as a tech), Mac's are easier to use, but harder to troubleshoot (e.g.. Stupid Mac icons at startup that don't tell you s#!T about the error )
Not really. Mac's are very easy to troubleshoot, or at least as easy to PC's. Also, you can download and print keyboard shortcuts from Apple, as well as solutions for any problem you may encounter. Mac OSX allows you to launch the computer as you bypass all the applications and straight into a screen called "Console." You can use this screen to program data for the computer to performs tasks designed to solve any problems you encounter, just like a programer would. All you have to do is to download the instructions from Apple. Another example: suppose that a third party software locks-up or something. In this case you can press and hold a series of keys that will present you with a screen where you can choose to "abort" the offending application. If the application locks on you, it means that the problem is with the application, not your Mac. Again, all the instructions can be downloaded and printed.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:13 AM

16,739 posts, read 15,751,233 times
Not that any of this is wrong, but it is really no different that using a PC running Windows. Comments and links are in blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Not really. Mac's are very easy to troubleshoot, or at least as easy to PC's.

Also, you can download and print keyboard shortcuts from Apple,

Keyboard shortcuts for Windows

as well as solutions for any problem you may encounter.

How to query the Microsoft Knowledge Base by using keywords and query words

Mac OSX allows you to launch the computer as you bypass all the applications and straight into a screen called "Console." You can use this screen to program data for the computer to performs tasks designed to solve any problems you encounter, just like a programer would.

Windows calls a similar applet a Task Scheduler.

All you have to do is to download the instructions from Apple. Another example: suppose that a third party software locks-up or something. In this case you can press and hold a series of keys that will present you with a screen where you can choose to "abort" the offending application. If the application locks on you, it means that the problem is with the application, not your Mac.

Press Ctrl-Shift-Esc to open the Task Manager and End the offending application.

Again, all the instructions can be downloaded and printed.
While there is nothing incorrect in what you say, I don't see where these things make an Apple easier to use than a PC running Windows.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:58 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,233,806 times
I had been a DOS/Windows user since MS-DOS 2.0 and Windows 1.0. The last Windows system I have is Windows XP Pro. Nice machine but was so sick and tired of:

~ update OS
~ update virus signatures
~ update spyware signatures
~ update drivers
~ update, update update......
~ scan for viruses/worms/trojans/spyware
A few months ago I bought a MacBook Pro (and yes I puked at how much it cost).... I am not looking back, yes it was "different" but it works all the time, never have wireless connection issues nor any other of the multitude of problems that plague Windows. Mind you I am not an Apple fanboi by any means nor do I like Apples holier-than-thou attitude.....

I used Firefox in Windows, works the same way on the Mac, used Thunderbird for email, works the same as Windows.....
I keep the XP box around for games although the DRM on these new games ticks me off... Just bought C&C4.. the worst thing about it? You have to be online ALL THE TIME even to play in single user mode... the game crashes... Do I really need this? (bought a PS3 instead)....

Old 06-22-2010, 11:15 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,500,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Nice machine but was so sick and tired of:

~ update OS

Apple doesn't update their OS?

~ update virus signatures

Mine happens automatically in the background

~ update spyware signatures

Mine happens automatically in the background

~ update drivers

I don't update drivers unless there's a good reason to, which rarely happens. I don't believe I've ever had a reason to update drivers on this machine that's 3.5 years old.

~ update, update update......

Microsoft updates their stuff automatically as do most other vendors.

~ scan for viruses/worms/trojans/spyware

I almost never run scans but then again I'm not dumb enough to actually get viruses/worms/trojans/spyware. I think I started a scan a few months ago before I went to bed but it didn't find anything.
Do you like your red herring pickled or fried?

Old 06-23-2010, 07:33 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,973,306 times
All relative to be honest. Using either is simply a matter of learning "their" way of doing things. Even linux command line is intuitive in its use once you learn the basics of how it operates.

For the average user, OS contests are really pointless. Most of the key aspects to which divides users concerning them will likely not be experienced by the average novice, so people should pick them based on other factors specific to their personal opinion.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:12 PM

20,311 posts, read 37,277,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Not that any of this is wrong, but it is really no different that using a PC running Windows. Comments and links are in blue.

While there is nothing incorrect in what you say, I don't see where these things make an Apple easier to use than a PC running Windows.
I was responding to this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc
From my experience (both as an end-user and as a tech), Mac's are easier to use, but harder to troubleshoot (e.g.. Stupid Mac icons at startup that don't tell you s#!T about the error )

Old 06-28-2010, 08:22 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,787,036 times
I use a Mac as my desktop; I only brought it 4 months ago. Previously, I had used MS Windows for 16 years, and Linux for about 8. Here is my take:

You (the OP) have much more experience with Windows than with Mac. It will take you a while to get used to it. Understand that a lot of the early 'problems' are just unfamiliarity and you will become more productive/less frustrated as time goes on. I wish I could suggest some good books for you; however I myself have been lax on buying a book to really learn the Mac OS. I admit, I am a big fan of buying books on computer topics to become a 'relative expert' quickly on them.

I do keep MS Windows on my laptop however. I am in graduate school, and one of my group members in my last class had perpetual problems sharing files with us. The issue I noticed is that most of her files did not have an extension connected to them, rendering them un-openable. Now, I don't have MS Office on my Mac (but iWork), so I don't know if that is the program or if maybe she was not doing something to cause it to save without an extension...I dunno. However I like having Windows on my laptop in that someone else can hop on it or use it for a presentation; and also I can share files and programs between my laptop and my work computer (which is MS Windows...of course).

Old 06-28-2010, 10:34 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,281,970 times
Macs are easier to use and the OS is far superior to Microsoft in both security and stability...but unfortunately the world runs on Windows and that creates problems for Mac users as a variety of programs are still unavailable for the mac. I would like to see mac usage increase to a point where it's a real competitor to Windows and not just a niche alternative. Ending the Microsoft monopoly will help everyone because competition is always a good thing.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:23 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,728,527 times
I'd rather Apple keep the OS consistent and high quality than become a real Windows rival. If Apple can do both, great, but trying to gain market share at the expense of quality is what got MS where it is today. As for the OP question, there are plenty of people here on the CD forums that use Macs, but when you look at the threads asking for computer help, they are 99% Windows related. That should tell you something about what OS has less problems and is easier for users to work with.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:55 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,264,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
I'm calling poppycock nonsense on your poppycock nonsense TW. I tried to use a Mac once. I could not find anything. Didn't know how to do anything. And I couldn't even get to a command prompt to do things the easier way. I was lost, and gave up in frustration, and took a fail on that paper that required me to use a Mac.

So, to some people the idea that Macs are easy to use is poppycock nonsense.

Fortunately, this is a competitive environment, and people can pick and choose what they are comfortable using and what is easier for them. Not everyone works, thinks, or perceives things the same way,and so different interfaces, functions, and approaches work better or worse for different people.

So don't attack people for not preferring your preference. It's okay that people are different. It really is.
My 8 year old grand daughter can run Mac OS and Windows OS..... As can her 10 year old brother and 12 year old sister..

So I'd have to say the problem is with you and not Mac....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers