Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 08:55 PM

722 posts, read 1,982,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about East Hartford? I've heard it is a suburb that varies in terms of environment/neighborhoods, but is pretty "diverse".

if ur lookin to move to a city with a more suburban feel, then East Hartford wouldn't be ur place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 08:57 PM

722 posts, read 1,982,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'm waiting to see these "statistics".
I don't think he meant anything by it. He prolly read it somewhere. I wouldn't say anything like that in public without proof, but from his previous threads, he seems very honest.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:02 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
I wouldn't say anything like that in public without proof
My point exactly.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:09 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

Anyway, I would recommend Bloomfield. It has a majority black population and is the most predominantly black town in CT. It also is a nice, middle class town with low crime and nice neighborhoods. The schools are alright, too.
Huh? Bloomfield school system is horrible!!!

OP, Go with Windsor....much better schools. But you still wont find ANY town in CT with good schools that has diversity like the south...it's just not the same as the south.
Also...if all you can spend is 1350 or less a month on a 3 bedroom rental you will likely have a hard time finding something in the really good school districts..

Old 07-29-2010, 09:34 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,377,476 times
Default Great post on this subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Where will your job be located?

Anyway, I would recommend Bloomfield. It has a majority black population and is the most predominantly black town in CT. It also is a nice, middle class town with low crime and nice neighborhoods. The schools are alright, too. However, because it is majority black, it may not be a realistic representation of America in general, because America is about 13% black population. What I'm saying is...if your daughter grows up in a town that is over 50% black, then moves out later on, she might be shocked at how white the rest of the country is. Just something to think about. But, generally speaking, CT is very tolerant of any skin color.

I will admit though (being white myself), if a black family moved into a 100% white neighborhood in an upper-middle class suburb, the neighbors may think it's strange (for lack of a better term). But, as long as your family is respectable, clean and positively contributing members of society, it will not be an issue, and you should make friends with the white neighbors, no problem. At least this mentality applies in the town of Granby, which is all I can speak for. But I'm sure it holds true in other similar towns. You'll be FINE if you are a well-to-do family.

Although CT is a very progressive and tolerant state when it comes to race, the state is extremely segregated when it comes to black vs. white areas. For the most part, the blacks are heavily concentrated in cities and direct suburbs of cities. Outside of that, it's usually at least 95% white. That's just how it is in the north. In the south, blacks and whites are fully integrated in the urban AND rural areas. But, in the north, rural = white and urban = black, 95% of the time.

Go look at the racial percentage breakdown on any of the town pages on this website. You can get a better idea of which towns offer the type of racial breakdown you are looking for. In conclusion, I understand that it's human nature to not want to feel like the oddball in society. So yes, I would recommend moving to a town with at least a 10% black population, for the sake of your daughter feeling like she fits in.

I hope this helps!
Thanks for this response to the OP! Very informative because it reaffirms the extremely segregated aspect of CT that some of us who have never been to the state are unaware of.

Last edited by JayCT; 08-02-2010 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: Removed flame

Old 07-29-2010, 11:37 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,719,306 times
First things first -

To the OP - where exactly will you be working? Is it in Hartford county? If so you have several options to choose from. If you have children and plan on enrolling them in public schools, unfortuntaely I can't suggest Bloomfield. It's a beautiful town overall but the schools are bad. Just don't do it. I've talked to people and read that they're better than they were 3 years ago when they were in the spotlight for their low test scores, but I still wouldn't do it.

Windsor may work if you're working in the Hartford area - a nice town, low crime and the schools here are decent. And yes, it IS one of a handful of towns in the US where household incomes for blacks are higher than they are for whites. An article in the Hartford Courant a couple of years ago confirmed this.

Wethersfield and W. Hartford may also provide you with something for rent within your budget. Both have sizeable Afro AMerican populations, many of whom are enjoying a comfortable, middle class way of life. Both are very safe and have very good schools.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:29 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
Hi, I'm relocating to CT and heard the cities are crawling with black people...I'm looking for some diversity and a mostly white neighborhood as I went to the city once and a black person was mean to me so I figure they all must be that way. Where do you recommend?
Anyone else see how stupid this sounds when put in an opposite context?

Old 07-30-2010, 04:57 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
This whole thread is just plain bizarre. And just because the OP had a bad experience in one town twenty years ago hardly means that the whole state is racist and unevolved. But at any rate, I'm not sure of anywhere in the state where one can rent a 3 bedroom apartment in a middle to upper class community for less than $1350.00, and still be in a good school district. If there is such a place, I wannabe there.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:45 AM

2 posts, read 15,366 times
Default Don't be fooled.

I wouldn't doubt it if Connecticut has the most CLOSET RACISTS in the entire country.

This state is one of the most segregated in the U.S.

Don't let anyone fool you, just skim through many of the posts in the CT forum and you can get a feel for the "undertones", of many posts. Nothing outright or blatant, but pretty much all of the areas that are recommended to live in are majority white.

Read the New Haven register on line and when you get to story's with black crime, scroll down to the readers comment sections and see all of the hatred being spewed.

People show their true colors when they have an anonymous platform to write or speak.

Taxes will always be high in this state because it is a form of legalized segregation. As much as people complain in public, why do you think they keep voting the same people in while in the private voting booth?

Citizens keep funding the social services in the urban areas to appease the minorities and keep the "cycle", alive and well, while the majority of the suburban towns remain white. Out of sight, out of mind.

There is an old stereotype about the whole south being very racist. Just not true anymore. You live there, you know how it is. Could not be farther from the truth. However the northeast (new england and CT in particular), has the most dangerous kind of racism alive and well. The CLOSET RACIST.

Connecticut is most loved by a segment of people who make over 100k per year in household income, secretly despise cultural and ethnic diversity in the town or city where they have their actual residence, but can drive a short distance to "use", the amenities of a diverse or non white majority city. Oh, and they also love to bash New Yorkers but will be the first to say how great it is to live 1-1/2 hours from NYC. Most, probably never go more than 1 time per year, if that even (or maybe never at all). The residents here also treasure living in isolation. Many don't even speak to next door neighbors except for a hello and goodbye. Then people will actually say that this is a good thing and defend it by saying in the south it is fake and only in the northeast people are real and can have true friendships. So that is why no one wastes time making small talk. Can you feel the arrogance just oozing out...???

This state is full of hypocrisy, Ignorance, NIMBYS, and of course CLOSET RACISTS. People here like to defend any shortcomings by quickly diverting and pointing the finger to a person\area that they believe has a bigger shortcoming. It's the CT way. "We are not as bad as [Insert southern state or urban city here]".

Remember, read the comments section of the New Haven Register, Connecticut Post, or any major newspaper in CT that has an anonymous comments section. You may be surprised, but you will get the truth of how many of the residents feel. People show their true colors when given an anonymous platform.

How you felt 20 years ago has not changed here. If anything it has just gotten more discrete.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:04 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMBY_CT View Post
I wouldn't doubt it if Connecticut has the most CLOSET RACISTS in the entire country.

This state is one of the most segregated in the U.S.

Don't let anyone fool you, just skim through many of the posts in the CT forum and you can get a feel for the "undertones", of many posts. Nothing outright or blatant, but pretty much all of the areas that are recommended to live in are majority white.

Read the New Haven register on line and when you get to story's with black crime, scroll down to the readers comment sections and see all of the hatred being spewed.

People show their true colors when they have an anonymous platform to write or speak.

Taxes will always be high in this state because it is a form of legalized segregation. As much as people complain in public, why do you think they keep voting the same people in while in the private voting booth?

Citizens keep funding the social services in the urban areas to appease the minorities and keep the "cycle", alive and well, while the majority of the suburban towns remain white. Out of sight, out of mind.

There is an old stereotype about the whole south being very racist. Just not true anymore. You live there, you know how it is. Could not be farther from the truth. However the northeast (new england and CT in particular), has the most dangerous kind of racism alive and well. The CLOSET RACIST.

Connecticut is most loved by a segment of people who make over 100k per year in household income, secretly despise cultural and ethnic diversity in the town or city where they have their actual residence, but can drive a short distance to "use", the amenities of a diverse or non white majority city. Oh, and they also love to bash New Yorkers but will be the first to say how great it is to live 1-1/2 hours from NYC. Most, probably never go more than 1 time per year, if that even (or maybe never at all). The residents here also treasure living in isolation. Many don't even speak to next door neighbors except for a hello and goodbye. Then people will actually say that this is a good thing and defend it by saying in the south it is fake and only in the northeast people are real and can have true friendships. So that is why no one wastes time making small talk. Can you feel the arrogance just oozing out...???

This state is full of hypocrisy, Ignorance, NIMBYS, and of course CLOSET RACISTS. People here like to defend any shortcomings by quickly diverting and pointing the finger to a person\area that they believe has a bigger shortcoming. It's the CT way. "We are not as bad as [Insert southern state or urban city here]".

Remember, read the comments section of the New Haven Register, Connecticut Post, or any major newspaper in CT that has an anonymous comments section. You may be surprised, but you will get the truth of how many of the residents feel. People show their true colors when given an anonymous platform.

How you felt 20 years ago has not changed here. If anything it has just gotten more discrete.
Where's the love? I don't think that is a fair or accurate characterization of most Connecticut residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut