Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 06:40 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
I think Jerry Springer had an episode on this subject!
I think it was based in the "Brass City".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 07:06 PM

12 posts, read 45,430 times
Quote:
Oh, so much so that you want to move back?? Ask yourself why? Because if I experienced racism some place I sure as heck wouldn't move back there. Don't you think...it is kind of a no brainer...
Pure economics. There's a recession going on. I need a job. Connecticut has one for me. Besides, I experienced racism in one particular pocket of CT twenty years ago. I'm hoping there's a better side to the state and that at least some percentage of the population has evolved. Wishful thinking?

Old 07-29-2010, 07:18 PM

25 posts, read 55,476 times
Tutorreach, I am white so probably not the best person to help you, but I own a business in CT and have customers all over the state. I have found that Bloomfield and West Hartford are upper middle class towns with a lot of diversity, many African American residents and respect for community. You might like to look at either of those. I don't know how much you want to spend, but the "Toll Brothers homes" are nice in those neighborhoods.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
can't give any useful info without knowing where you will work, and how much you can spend on renting or purchasing.
I would be renting a 3 bedroom. Looking for less than $1,350.00/mo. Willing to commute so I'd appreciate knowing about any communities that would fit the bill. Thanks!

Old 07-29-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee64 View Post
Tutorreach, I am white so probably not the best person to help you, but I own a business in CT and have customers all over the state. I have found that Bloomfield and West Hartford are upper middle class towns with a lot of diversity, many African American residents and respect for community. You might like to look at either of those. I don't know how much you want to spend, but the "Toll Brothers homes" are nice in those neighborhoods.
Thanks. That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. You get it. About West Hartford though. When I looked up the demographics, it was something like only 3% black. Do you think that statistic is off?

Old 07-29-2010, 07:50 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutorreach View Post
I would be renting a 3 bedroom. Looking for less than $1,350.00/mo. Willing to commute so I'd appreciate knowing about any communities that would fit the bill. Thanks!
Commute to where?

Old 07-29-2010, 07:57 PM

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
I went to UCONN with alot of kids from the Stamford area that seemed to be very open-minded. Most of the kids were mostly white, and actually most of the ones from Fairfield were conservatives. But it seemed like they didn't have a problem with urban culture. Both of those towns are racially diverse, but great schools is sort of up to ur own opinion. what are u used to? Where are u moving from?

No offense, but sometimes I have trouble with interpreting people who claim post that their black. Black is just a color. Most Connecticut people don't have any problem with a person's skin color, but I think many people have an issue with the cultures associated with certain colors.

Most of the New Haven area is dominated by a strong sense community among African-Americans. Thats probably the strongest in CT. But it's not really middle to upper class. Hamden voted in a black mayor, btw. That's pretty middle class.

I appreciate your thoughts on the subject and your sincere effort to be helpful.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:03 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Commute to where?
I was wondering the same thing.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:04 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Where will your job be located?

Anyway, I would recommend Bloomfield. It has a majority black population and is the most predominantly black town in CT. It also is a nice, middle class town with low crime and nice neighborhoods. The schools are alright, too. However, because it is majority black, it may not be a realistic representation of America in general, because America is about 13% black population. What I'm saying is...if your daughter grows up in a town that is over 50% black, then moves out later on, she might be shocked at how white the rest of the country is. Just something to think about. But, generally speaking, CT is very tolerant of any skin color.

I will admit though (being white myself), if a black family moved into a 100% white neighborhood in an upper-middle class suburb, the neighbors may think it's strange (for lack of a better term). But, as long as your family is respectable, clean and positively contributing members of society, it will not be an issue, and you should make friends with the white neighbors, no problem. At least this mentality applies in the town of Granby, which is all I can speak for. But I'm sure it holds true in other similar towns. You'll be FINE if you are a well-to-do family.

Although CT is a very progressive and tolerant state when it comes to race, the state is extremely segregated when it comes to black vs. white areas. For the most part, the blacks are heavily concentrated in cities and direct suburbs of cities. Outside of that, it's usually at least 95% white. That's just how it is in the north. In the south, blacks and whites are fully integrated in the urban AND rural areas. But, in the north, rural = white and urban = black, 95% of the time.

Go look at the racial percentage breakdown on any of the town pages on this website. You can get a better idea of which towns offer the type of racial breakdown you are looking for. In conclusion, I understand that it's human nature to not want to feel like the oddball in society. So yes, I would recommend moving to a town with at least a 10% black population, for the sake of your daughter feeling like she fits in.

I hope this helps!

Old 07-29-2010, 08:08 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
IMO I think it's fair to say that anyone who puts too much thought into a post on this thread is wasting their time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut