Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 05:53 PM

209 posts, read 538,832 times

Advertisements

I'm on wikimapia and I've found some neighborhoods near what looks like shopping areas. Yes? Could it be?

Is there are bridge to Long Island? I'm not sure if what I'm looking at is a bridge or just a line on the map. It seems to be near steel point? It goes into Belle Terre - Old Field, NY.
Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 06:14 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsydaisy View Post

Is there are bridge to Long Island?
No.

Quote:
I'm not sure if what I'm looking at is a bridge or just a line on the map. It seems to be near steel point? It goes into Belle Terre - Old Field, NY.
Anyone?
Welcome to The Bridgeport & Port Jefferson Steamboat Company Website (http://www.bpjferry.com/ - broken link)

Old 08-14-2010, 06:41 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,910 times
Quote:
However, that said, I really could use a shopping are with a nice new Target, Super Wal-Mart, Kohls, Lowes, etc. and couple of grocery stores to choose from.
Shelton, Stratford, Milford, Fairfield, Westport, Orange, Derby-Ansonia, West Haven and more meet your criteria.

There is shopping all over the state and especially in the SW part. Not sure why you think you wouldn't find exactly what you are looking for in a town? You will have a variety to choose from.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Shelton, Stratford, Milford, Fairfield, Westport, Orange, Derby-Ansonia, West Haven and more meet your criteria.

There is shopping all over the state and especially in the SW part. Not sure why you think you wouldn't find exactly what you are looking for in a town? You will have a variety to choose from.
I have been having a blast playing around with this Wikimapia.
Apparently where the location of the company (around 900 Bridgeport Ave) makes it a snap to get to just about any town. That's cool.
So living in Bridgeport or Trumbull, or New Haven.

Could it really be that Yale is only around 15 miles away from the Trap Falls Reservoir? That is good news.

Google maps is a life saver. So, it's not nearly as rural as where I am now. *whew*

Old 08-14-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
No.

Nice --- Now I feel like an idiot...

Welcome to The Bridgeport & Port Jefferson Steamboat Company Website (http://www.bpjferry.com/ - broken link)
Will check this out. Thanks.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:06 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Nothing in Connecticut is as rural as where you are now. You can fit 20 Connecticuts into Arizona, and still have room left over for a Slip-n-Slide. We jam pack everything you have in your state, into ours. Except for the desert. But other than that, we got it all. Mountains, rivers, whitewater, rocky areas, shopping malls, urban decay, tiny huts, McMansions and real mansions, condos, skiing, boating, murder, hospitals, universities, flora and fauna of a plethora of varieties, racial and ethnic diversity, road rage - two things we have that you don't have - humidity, and an ocean. One thing you have that we don't have - a desert. That's pretty much it. Except, we have it ALL packed into only 5543 square miles, while you spread out 113,998 miles (I looked it up).

So whatever you have, that you needed 4 hours to drive to to get there, you can drive to it usually within 1/2 hour, here.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Nothing in Connecticut is as rural as where you are now. You can fit 20 Connecticuts into Arizona, and still have room left over for a Slip-n-Slide. We jam pack everything you have in your state, into ours. Except for the desert. But other than that, we got it all. Mountains, rivers, whitewater, rocky areas, shopping malls, urban decay, tiny huts, McMansions and real mansions, condos, skiing, boating, murder, hospitals, universities, flora and fauna of a plethora of varieties, racial and ethnic diversity, road rage - two things we have that you don't have - humidity, and an ocean. One thing you have that we don't have - a desert. That's pretty much it. Except, we have it ALL packed into only 5543 square miles, while you spread out 113,998 miles (I looked it up).

So whatever you have, that you needed 4 hours to drive to to get there, you can drive to it usually within 1/2 hour, here.
Thanks. I live in Peter's Township, Pennsylvania. But I used to live in Scottsdale, AZ.

What's the terrain like? I read the beaches are not that great. Are there any public beaches?

Thanks again!

Old 08-14-2010, 08:55 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

That’s pretty funny…that about sizes up Connecticut – lol. The Moon Travel Guides write the same thing in their summation of Connecticut: They call it America in miniature.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:04 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Public beaches are mostly restricted to residents of the town, or semi-restricted by limiting parking passes to residents (so theoretically, anyone can -go- to the beach, but only residents can park cars at the beach).

There are a few public beaches such as Hamonassett in Clinton and Lighthouse Point in the East Haven/New Haven area. Hamonassett is pretty awesome and even has a small bird reserve near Meig's Point.

The terrain of Connecticut is similar to the terrain in Pennsylvania; we have an edge of the Blue Ridge mountain range running through the state so we have our share of pine forests and bears and possoms and deer and wild turkeys and even small wildcats. We have smaller lakes, but we do have lakes. We have the Connecticut and the Thames rivers, and lots of creeks and streams running off of them. And of course we have the cities. You can get to one in under an hour from wherever you happen to be at any given moment, and most places you'll find that you can get to a city in under 20 minutes. Just certain areas don't have highways running through them so you might travel the same distance and take longer.

It gets colder earlier and stays colder longer, and we get more humidity. The season changes are mostly identical other than that.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:31 AM

269 posts, read 607,793 times
Quote:
So living in Bridgeport or Trumbull, or New Haven.
Just to make sure, you aren't thinking about living in New Haven or in Bridgeport right? These are both cities with typical urban issues and are not suburban which you said you like. To second some earlier suggestions, take a look at Trumbull, Orange and maybe Monroe. Monroe might be a bit quiet but it isn't that isolated and I think it's very pretty and relaxing there.

Side note. AnonChick, This... "Mountains, rivers, whitewater, rocky areas, shopping malls, urban decay, tiny huts, McMansions and real mansions, condos, skiing, boating, murder, hospitals, universities, flora and fauna of a plethora of varieties, racial and ethnic diversity, road rage - two things we have that you don't have - humidity, and an ocean"... is so spot on, my head nearly exploded.

Last edited by Appias; 08-15-2010 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: added props to AnonChick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut