Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 03:01 PM

311 posts, read 1,823,963 times

Advertisements

If big bucks ever equaled "nicer homes" than perhaps thats the case. However those of us who aren't shallow or materialistic tend to look for other things - say amenities, access to highways, shopping, etc. Location wise you can't beat glastonbury and its proximity to major highways - something that avon and simsbury both lack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 06:04 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,893,114 times
You may want to check the mill rates of all 3 towns...last I looked, Simsbury seemed the highest, but may have changed since. Access to roads is one reason we did not buy in Simsbury although some want that bucolic feel which you would get in both Avon and Simsbury. It's not to say that you won't get the same spread out country feel in South Glastonbury off Rte 17. All 3 towns have excellent and competitive school districts. When we lived in WH, the kids watched which towns would call off school first when it snows...seemed like all 4 watch each other and have a tendency to not call off school compared to other districts in CT.

Last edited by BagongBuhay; 12-16-2007 at 06:50 PM..

Old 12-16-2007, 06:24 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_CT View Post
I didn't mean it as an insult, but driving through North Glastonbury many times, it does not seem to be nearly as desireable as say, Simsbury Center.
That is like comparing Tariffville to South Glastonbury. Tariffville is part of Simsbury isn't it and it has many modestly price homes just like North Glastonbury. Hardly "sketchy" but not palatial either. Jay

Old 12-16-2007, 06:51 PM

107 posts, read 148,001 times
Interestingly enough, Collinsville (Canton's version of Tariffville) has gotten quite gentrified in the past few years. A couple of my wife's friends are in real estate and say the same thing is starting to happen in Tariffville, which I'll admit isn't much now, and in Unionville (Farmington's version of Tariffville).

Old 12-16-2007, 06:55 PM

107 posts, read 148,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TENN24 View Post
The reason you say that Avon and Simsbury have more nicer homes is because they both have significantly lower populations than Glastonbury. There are many parts of Glastonbury that are more desirable than either Avon or Simsbury.
Populations... not TOO much of a difference there; however, there are many more homes for sale in Glastonbury than either Simsbury or Avon. I was just pointing out percentages from realtor.com.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:38 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,795 times
17,000 - Avon (223)
24,000 - Simsbury (181)
33,000 - Glastonbury (267)

Glastonbury has twice the population of Avon and a third more than Simsbury which would explain why it has more properties for sale. Avon, as a percentage, has significantly more properties on the market. Simsbury is pretty much par when compared to other towns with the same population (North Haven also has 181 properties on the market with 150 fewer residents). Using Simsbury's figure, Glastonbury should have 249 properties but is just over that by 18.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:16 PM

10 posts, read 51,647 times
Very interesting discussion here. How do Glastonbury, Avon, and Simsbury rate in terms of: 1) diversity; 2) attitudes towards non-whites; 3) stores and restaurants; and 4) better resales? Can someone give me an idea of which towns win which categories and some general info.? Thanks.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:31 AM

All three towns are very similar in demographics and attitude toward non-whites. Of course "attitude" is subjective.

All three towns have a wide variety of stores and restaurants but because simsbury and Avon are next to each other and are sort of the business center for the entire Farmington River valley, there are I believe more stores there than Glastonbury itself. It should however be noted that Simsbury and Avon are separated from major shopping centers by Avon Mountain and that Glastonbury has easy access to highways so its residents can easily access major shopping and employment centers more readily. The Buckland Hills section of Manchester and South Windsor is one of the largest shopping districts in the state and New England and Glastonbury is very close to this area.

As for resale value, all three are very similar. They are among the most desireable towns in the greater Hartford area. Homes in Glastonbury appear to me to be selling very well even with the recent downturn in the housing market. I personally believe that Glastonbury has the upper hand gven the access to the outside world that Simsbury and Avon lack but that is just me. Many people love the feeling of the Farmington Valley which is sort of a get away from it all type place. JMHO Jay

Old 12-19-2007, 07:25 AM

2 posts, read 11,657 times
Default Farmington

Rather than start a sep thread, which would duplicate much of the great info already generated, I thought I'd bring my question into the mix here:

I'm not considering Glastonbury, b/c I prefer closer proximity to the airport.

Thus, how does Farmington compare with Avon and West Hartford (and vice versa)??

Most interested in: schools, youth sports, youth cultural opportunities (e.g. art, dance, music), safe low traffic neighborhoods where kids can ride bikes, good high school athletic program, sense of community, control over development, friendly.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:43 AM

I would venture to say that West Hartford has more for youths than Avon or Farmington because of the type of town it is. West Hartford is more urban than the other towns and has a lot of activities for families. Most neighborhoods in West Hartford have sidewalks so walking and bike riding is relatively easy. Keep in mind though that lots in West Hartford tend to be smaller than Farmington and Avon giving the town a more urban feel. Tt is up to you if you like this better or not. As sense of community, all three have a very strong sense to them, but it is hard to beat West Hartford with its dense center and the recently opened Blue Back Square.

I will say you should not disclude Glastonbury because of access to the airport. The backroads through Farmington Valley to the airport are not necessarily direct and can take time to navigate. Glastonbury is less than 20 miles from the airport and we have made it in under 1/2 hour. People I know that live in the southern end of the Farmington River Valley tell me it takes them that long to get to Bradley from where thye live. I will say though that the time to Bradley from Glastonbury does depend on when you go with rush hour taking longer. Hope this helps, Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut