Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 08:50 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

That drive will take you about 30 minutes without traffic. Figure about 45 minutes during rush hour. These are back roads with a number of traffic lights so you should expect delays.

Route 178 goes over the mountain and I find it easier than Route 44. There is still a lot of traffic during rush hour there but not as bad as 44. Route 10 does not cross the mountain (it is a north-south road through the Valley) so I am not sure what you are asking about it. Route 10 is a commercial route with a lot of businesses on it. 178 and 185 are more residential. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 08:58 AM

28 posts, read 120,864 times
Thanks. I guess I meant Route 44. Google maps shows 10 as a continuation of 44. Would you consider 178 to be safer? I'm more worried my husband's possible commute than he is!

Old 07-31-2009, 09:13 AM

Route 10 and 44 share a short section in Avon but 10 does not go over the mountain. I would say that 178 is safer since there is less traffic and has not had the horrible accidents that 44 has. You should note that a lot of people use these roads everyday and have no problems so I really wouldn't worry any more than you should if your husband were traveling on say I-84 or I-91. JMHO, Jay

Old 07-31-2009, 09:19 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,956 times
I did this commute for years from the Manchester area, its closer to the 40 minute mark (of course depends on what time you leave home too) during working hours. In bad weather expect it to take longer. In the snow, it sometimes took me 1.5 to 2 hours to get home. I would say it is safer than 44, but in snow, even 185 gets slick quickly because of the slope up to the entrance to talcott mountain. Its not uncommon for 185 (or 44 for that matter) to be shut down during a snowstorm while they get trucks up there to salt and plow. 178 is fine, its Park Ave in Bloomfield and its a regular road with stop lights and normal stop and go.

With all that said, the commute isn't that bad. First, snow storms aren't all that often. Also, I quickly learned to plan ahead and I had several alternate routes home that avoided 185 and 44. They are way out of the way, but when the mountain is closed you don't have much choice. Other things I did was save a few personal days throughout the year - in the event of a bad storm I would just take the day off so I wouldn't have to deal with the traffic. Also, if snow was coming, I would just check with my manager and leave a few hours early.

I'm sure there were more, but in the 5 years I worked in simsbury I think there was only 1 car accident that i can recall on 185.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,115 times
I spent 20 years living in Simsbury/Avon. I am definitely biased towards Simsbury over as far as quality of life, having lived in Avon, Simsbury (mostly) and Farmington as well as big east coast cities, and out west.

Simsbury's downtown is very nice, and has seen movement toward more upscale restaurants and bars over the past decade or so. It's a classic New England downtown with far less commercialization than Avon- by far. Proximity to route 44 or Tarriffville makes getting to interstates shorter.

West Simsbury is probably the most desirable at the cost of commute convenience. It has the most open space- saddle ridge has great short hikes with views over a few thousand acres- preserved farmland, and conservation areas- including Simsbury Farms. Very affordable, town-owned golf course (it's around $25 for 18 holes, a bit more for a cart), four pools, hockey rink and tennis. Summer camps for kids, a very long fitness trail, and playgrounds. It's virtually a country club, with a top-notch restaurant and clubhouse that sits with amazing views in many directions on an old apple orchard. you got to see it! It's downright beautiful. Avon doesn't have anything like that- which is a big plus for families who can't afford, or don't want to join any of the myriad local country clubs (which are, as you may have guessed, clique-ey and a bit snobby- we belonged briefly to one- it was not a good experience, and too expensive!).

Schools: it's really a toss up for schools between Avon and Simsbury. Both top notch.

Avon lacks a downtown, just the route 44 commercial strip, which is really too bad. Avon definitely has a more conspicious display of wealth (look at the real estate options between the two for a sample of that) with more development and less open space. If having that wow factor in your home/neighborhood and have the money to pony up, Avon is better suited.

A lot of the ex-city folk like Avon for its proximity to west hartford center (nightlife and restaurants), convenience and prestige of living in an expensive, 'elite' town. Simsbury's a bit more laid back. In the end, Avon's slightly wealthier than Simsbury in appearance, though Simsbury's got it's elite crowd as well, and all the baggage that brings.

As for raising a family, either place is great. It's definitely a bubble in the Valley- you definitely get the "rich" label from surrounding towns. I guess what one considers rich is relative, and both Avon and Simsbury are, by and large, filled with relatively well-off folks. Still, the vast majority are not trust-funders or investement bankers. So it's not a fair label. It's not Fairfield county, but it's not middle-america, either. It is a great place to raise a family, however.

My rant is done. Simsbury would be my choice, obviously.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:22 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Simsbury is the best IMO. It's quiet, quaint, and convenient to plenty of shopping on Route 44. No highways, either.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:12 PM

337 posts, read 1,023,783 times
I've actually never had much trouble on 44. It used to be a little hairier, but it's practically a freeway these days--big broad shoulders, wide lanes, big-radius turns. I don't think it should be a big factor unless you have a penchant for car accidents or something.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:49 PM

7 posts, read 6,278 times
Question What will be your choice in 2020 - Avon / Simsbury / Glastonbury?

Trying to revive an old thread. Surprising that even after almost 10 years, these posts are still relevant.

We are living in Suffield area for the last 8 years on rent and now finally decided to buy a house. And guess what - our choices have boiled down to exactly the same as this thread - Avon, Simsbury and Glastonbury. (With some love for Suffield mainly because of the comfort zone feeling.) We considered South Windsor but a major supply of homes coming under the dreaded 'crumbling basement' time period, we had to pass.

Now, the topic of this post: What will be your choice in 2020 - Avon vs. Simsbury vs. Glastonbury?

Questions I have are:
  1. If I want to get a 3 bed 2.5 bath, built after 2000 home, what should be my realistic budget in each of these towns? Market supply is really less now and not enough data to figure out, so is $350k a reasonable budget?
  2. I saw some references to 'sketchy areas' in some towns and and counter arguments against it. Is that still a thing - do I have to really worry about which part of town I am picking up? And if I end up in one of those 'sketchy areas', then what? Will my kids be looked down upon in the common schools as they grow up?
  3. Which realtor will you recommend for these areas?
  4. I am from India and a person of color. Is that something of significance while choosing a neighborhood in any of these towns?
Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Old 07-22-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadabear View Post
Trying to revive an old thread. Surprising that even after almost 10 years, these posts are still relevant.

We are living in Suffield area for the last 8 years on rent and now finally decided to buy a house. And guess what - our choices have boiled down to exactly the same as this thread - Avon, Simsbury and Glastonbury. (With some love for Suffield mainly because of the comfort zone feeling.) We considered South Windsor but a major supply of homes coming under the dreaded 'crumbling basement' time period, we had to pass.

Now, the topic of this post: What will be your choice in 2020 - Avon vs. Simsbury vs. Glastonbury?

Questions I have are:
  1. If I want to get a 3 bed 2.5 bath, built after 2000 home, what should be my realistic budget in each of these towns? Market supply is really less now and not enough data to figure out, so is $350k a reasonable budget?
  2. I saw some references to 'sketchy areas' in some towns and and counter arguments against it. Is that still a thing - do I have to really worry about which part of town I am picking up? And if I end up in one of those 'sketchy areas', then what? Will my kids be looked down upon in the common schools as they grow up?
  3. Which realtor will you recommend for these areas?
  4. I am from India and a person of color. Is that something of significance while choosing a neighborhood in any of these towns?
Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
There are NO sketchy areas in Avon, Simsbury or Glastonbury, PERIOD. These are great towns with excellent schools and many beautiful neighborhoods to consider. I’m not sure who said or where you saw there are sketchy areas in these towns but they are wrong.

I am wondering if you misunderstood what was said. Every town has more desirable and less desirable neighborhoods. That does not make them sketchy. It just means people are willing to pay a little more or less to live in a particular neighborhood.

Here in Glastonbury, the most desirable area is likely South Glastonbury and the least is the North End. I live in the North End and I love it. I doubt I would ever leave it. I like it’s diversity and convenience. Here you meet and see a wide range of ethnicities and income levels that you don’t see in South Glastonbury which is mostly wealthy and white.

Also, the North End is very convenient to Glastonbury Center and the North Main Street business district. You can also quickly get into Hartford on Route 2 or up to I-84 or over to I-91 quickly or even up to Buckland Hills to shop. You can’t say that about South Glastonbury.

Your budget for a newer home may be a bit low in the towns you are considering. There are not a lot of homes that meet that criteria. Most would be older or bigger and/or more expensive. You can certainly look but just don’t expect to find much. Good luck, Jay

Old 07-22-2020, 10:08 AM

7 posts, read 6,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
There are NO sketchy areas in Avon, Simsbury or Glastonbury, PERIOD. These are great towns with excellent schools and many beautiful neighborhoods to consider. I’m not sure who said or where you saw there are sketchy areas in these towns but they are wrong.

I am wondering if you misunderstood what was said. Every town has more desirable and less desirable neighborhoods. That does not make them sketchy. It just means people are willing to pay a little more or less to live in a particular neighborhood.

Here in Glastonbury, the most desirable area is likely South Glastonbury and the least is the North End. I live in the North End and I love it. I doubt I would ever leave it. I like it’s diversity and convenience. Here you meet and see a wide range of ethnicities and income levels that you don’t see in South Glastonbury which is mostly wealthy and white.

Also, the North End is very convenient to Glastonbury Center and the North Main Street business district. You can also quickly get into Hartford on Route 2 or up to I-84 or over to I-91 quickly or even up to Buckland Hills to shop. You can’t say that about South Glastonbury.

Your budget for a newer home may be a bit low in the towns you are considering. There are not a lot of homes that meet that criteria. Most would be older or bigger and/or more expensive. You can certainly look but just don’t expect to find much. Good luck, Jay
Thanks for your reply Jay! I was referring to this post; no misunderstanding about your message.

Going back to the specifics - in the North End of Glastonbury, what is the best I can expect in the $350 - $400k range? Something like this is a representative sample?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...74062409_zpid/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut