Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 10:20 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Can't say i see what being a person of faith has anything to do with anything here.
I'm not a religious person and even I can recognize it.

It shows morality, fortitude, strength, and conviction that what's meant to happen with these guys, will. It's better than some "blood-thirsty", hot-headed father that holds no values or beliefs tainting the trial.

Reading all of your posts in this thread, it seems as if you're on the side of the defense here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Then you are blind.
Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 08:56 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,627,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'm not a religious person and even I can recognize it.

It shows morality, fortitude, strength, and conviction that what's meant to happen with these guys, will. It's better than some "blood-thirsty", hot-headed father that holds no values or beliefs tainting the trial.
Really?

You don't think the ratio of religious people commenting on the news story about how they need to fry the bastards, or how Dr. Petit should just be given an afternoon to do whatever he wants to them, etc. is the same as the general population?

I wish we had the numbers to run to check this.

However, you could use this forum as a smaller sample size and probably come to the same conclusion. Religious people have no greater claim to moral superiority.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,527 times
I still wouldn't say Cheshire is unsafe. Usually horrible crimes same this aren't random, author possible they were targeted for any grounds. How sad and tragic, it sickened me to concentrate some it. I can't imagine that impoverished man, his mate and kids were killed. How on concern do you recycle from that?
This was wicked and no one knows yet what happened or why this origin was chosen. I conceive one of the men was a localized and the otherwise from out of municipality. It is so sad and tragic. I definitely would not say Cheshire is unsafe, but it does wee you reflect if you are safe anywhere.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:32 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,168,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Really?

You don't think the ratio of religious people commenting on the news story about how they need to fry the bastards, or how Dr. Petit should just be given an afternoon to do whatever he wants to them, etc. is the same as the general population?

I wish we had the numbers to run to check this.

However, you could use this forum as a smaller sample size and probably come to the same conclusion. Religious people have no greater claim to moral superiority.
Why does religion get tossed into the fray like croutons on a salad ? I am an agnostic and I live by the "do unto others rule"...I don't need religion to tell me what is right and wrong ...sorry.

That said, if one wants religion in their life and feel it helps guide them, thats fine too. If that spiritual guidance creates a happier life than so be it. As for it being neccessary?

Old 10-16-2011, 09:43 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,012,444 times
For those who are still saying "I don't know what religion has to do with the Petit/Hawke family here" let me post again Sr Hawke's words.
Richard Hawke, Hawke-Petit's father: "We are a united family. We are people of faith, and it's that faith that has brought us through these past four years, and it is that faith that will continue to keep us together and strengthen us for the future and to be able to live through this experience — never forgetting it, because we will always keep our daughter and grandchildren in our hearts and in our minds."
You can have your opinion, but this families faith is something that is a glue and inner strength. To question that or deny it is nothing more than having an ax to grind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I am an agnostic and I live by the "do unto others rule"...I don't need religion to tell me what is right and wrong ...sorry.
You sure about that?
Luke 6:31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.
Just giving you a hard time.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
For those who are still saying "I don't know what religion has to do with the Petit/Hawke family here" let me post again Sr Hawke's words.
Richard Hawke, Hawke-Petit's father: "We are a united family. We are people of faith, and it's that faith that has brought us through these past four years, and it is that faith that will continue to keep us together and strengthen us for the future and to be able to live through this experience — never forgetting it, because we will always keep our daughter and grandchildren in our hearts and in our minds."
You can have your opinion, but this families faith is something that is a glue and inner strength. To question that or deny it is nothing more than having an ax to grind.

You sure about that?
Luke 6:31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.
Just giving you a hard time.

Haha..I knew you were gonna do that to me J

The Golden Rule is common sense..not biblical.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:24 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
The Golden Rule came from Judaism, not Christianity. Rabbi Akiva ben Joseph.

Just playing. Don't throw things at me.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:13 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Faith does not necessarily mean religion. It just means that you trust the right thing to be done. I did not take his statement to be religious but I guess others do. Jay

Old 10-16-2011, 01:26 PM

502 posts, read 1,392,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Faith does not necessarily mean religion. It just means that you trust the right thing to be done.
Well said

Old 10-16-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Faith does not necessarily mean religion. It just means that you trust the right thing to be done. I did not take his statement to be religious but I guess others do. Jay
How can you NOT take it to be religious? Shrug..I mean faith IS about religion.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut