Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 08:05 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,012,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotty19 View Post
Well in my opinion it's what you make of it but thank you for your insight. It seems a little bit too much up there for me anyway going by what i've read here. (If I get accepted) i'll stick to the colleges i've applied to down here.
Just curious...what seem "a little bit too much"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 08:47 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotty19 View Post
Well in my opinion it's what you make of it but thank you for your insight. It seems a little bit too much up there for me anyway going by what i've read here. (If I get accepted) i'll stick to the colleges i've applied to down here.
Another one of those, "this makes me want to scream" moments. Don't let the posts of a few very negative people throw you. Despite what they say and the statistics they throw out, Hartford metro area is as safe , if not safer, than any other similar sized city. The statistics get skewed because Hartford itself is very small, include only the urban core of the region and any crime rate calculation is increased because there are no safer suburban areas included in them. Jay

Old 09-07-2011, 08:52 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydez View Post
This is just Allstate's statistics and I am not sure how big an insurer they are in Hartford. Also are they including the metropolitan region or just Hartford itself in its rates. This makes a big difference in a statistic. Major cities down south and out west include suburban areas while here in the northeast those areas are not included. Maybe that is why the list seems to have more northeast cities. Jay

Old 09-07-2011, 09:29 AM

337 posts, read 1,024,073 times
Looks like we scared her away with too many real life decisions.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:32 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Or too much paranoid, irrational negativity.

Also - to everyone that says the Hartford metro is so expensive should try living in the Stamford area, or NYC, or Boston, or just about any other major metro on the eastern seaboard north of DC.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:07 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,841,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonfromseattle View Post

The city is small but very urban, everything is paved and the parks here are not very nice (Elizabeth Park is OK but nothing to brag about).

If you want to live in a small city that is definitly a CITY then I'd say give Hartford a go. People on here talk about West Hartford like it is some kind of great place but I think it is pretty much a garbage dump (crappy chain stores) full of garbage people (snooty wannabe rich losers).
Interesting perspective... Certainly unfair as to West Hartford but I like the idea of Hartford being the more attractive of the two. Seems funny to be so often recommending people consider WH over H for having a lively downtown--isn't the city supposed to be the lively one and the suburb a sedate family community? Brandon has turned things around: Hartford is the real deal and WH the phony.

Hartford has beautiful parks but if you're comparing to Seattle that's tough competition.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:23 PM

941 posts, read 1,804,981 times
Thumbs down Then go ahead and screammm!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here you are... GUYS... probably big strong men pooh-poohing the stats..
I was putting in my 2 cents because I was pointing something out to a woman who might want to decide for herself if she wants to look over her shoulder or not.

and Mr. Know-it-all --->>> as you stated, saying it with the arrogance of FRED FLINTSTONE :
I LOVE WHEN PEOPLE FROM ANOTHER STATE TRY AND PIN DOWN SOMETHING LOCAL

I lived there for 50 years.. trust me.. I know Hartford.. and if you want to feel some kind of satisfaction while Lording over the denial
then here's gift to you: Nobody makes a Sfogliatelle quite like Mozzicato's.
You cannot get pastry that good anywhere.. well, maybe across at Modern.
It was a sad day when Michele died in 08'.

ALLOW PEOPLE TO HAVE THEIR OPINIONS FOR HEAVEN'S SAKES.. let the others decide and investigate on their own.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:36 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,724,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Interesting perspective... Certainly unfair as to West Hartford but I like the idea of Hartford being the more attractive of the two.
I really could care less what he says - he's not that bright. I encouraged him to drive down Park Road or through Elmwood Center to get a different perspective other than what BBS/WHC offers (which even here has lots of independent businesses and restaurants). But hey, if he's comfortable living in a modern day South Bronx, so be it.

To live in Hartford and call WH trashy? That's like being called a douchebag by Andy Dick.

Quote:
Hartford has beautiful parks but if you're comparing to Seattle that's tough competition.
Elizabeth Park (run by Hartford park commission) and Bushnell are both beautiful. Other parks, not so much. Keney I wouldn't go near during the day, I've got stories for the ages on that place.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:06 PM

941 posts, read 1,804,981 times
Default people really do know hartford's bad behavior

You tell 'em MIKEY!!!

Old 09-07-2011, 01:39 PM

201 posts, read 574,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Just curious...what seem "a little bit too much"?
It just doesn't seem worth it. Why move 7 hours away to a place with high crime and bad driving conditions. The school outside of DC I withdrew from was in an area exactly the same but it wasn't 7 hours away. Seems to me I might as well go to a school just as good (or better) that's set somewhere closer to home and not crime ridden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbomgd3
Looks like we scared her away with too many real life decisions.
First; him. And second I don't fully understand what you mean by that...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut