Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 01:43 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,014,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Interesting perspective... Certainly unfair as to West Hartford but I like the idea of Hartford being the more attractive of the two. Seems funny to be so often recommending people consider WH over H for having a lively downtown--isn't the city supposed to be the lively one and the suburb a sedate family community? Brandon has turned things around: Hartford is the real deal and WH the phony.

Hartford has beautiful parks but if you're comparing to Seattle that's tough competition.
I think the difference that many people just can't seem to get around is how small our individual towns and cities are. WH is literally 2 miles from DT Hartford. In any other city, West Hartford would be a neighborhood. It's about the equal to Ybor city in Tampa which is a couple miles from DT.

If Hartford's city limits incorporated Wethersfield, Newington, West Hartford, East Hartford, Bloomfield, Windsor etc it would paint an entirely different picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
Here you are... GUYS... probably big strong men pooh-poohing the stats..
I was putting in my 2 cents because I was pointing something out to a woman who might want to decide for herself if she wants to look over her shoulder or not.

and Mr. Know-it-all --->>> as you stated, saying it with the arrogance of FRED FLINTSTONE :
I LOVE WHEN PEOPLE FROM ANOTHER STATE TRY AND PIN DOWN SOMETHING LOCAL

I lived there for 50 years.. trust me.. I know Hartford.. and if you want to feel some kind of satisfaction while Lording over the denial
then here's gift to you: Nobody makes a Sfogliatelle quite like Mozzicato's.
You cannot get pastry that good anywhere.. well, maybe across at Modern.
It was a sad day when Michele died in 08'.

ALLOW PEOPLE TO HAVE THEIR OPINIONS FOR HEAVEN'S SAKES.. let the others decide and investigate on their own.
Oh good, so you can admit when you are talking opinion and not facts. That's great. Thanks for letting everyone know you shared your OPINION because factually speaking what you claim is not the case. Hartford is no different than any other mid sized metropolitan city when taken as a whole. In fact, probably better off than many you wouldn't think.

In fact if you want to go by murder rates in a non skewed way - X murders per 10K population guess what...even with such small borders, Hartford comes in at #44 nationwide ahead of Richmond VA (#10) Memphis (#39) Birmingham (#4) St Louis (14) Little Rock (19) Kansas City (20) Cincinnati (22) Wilmington (26) Fort Meyers (27) Charleston SC (41) Rocky Mount NC (42)

//www.city-data.com/top2/c417.html

So you can keep sharing your opinion, but like most people "from this area" it's a bit delusional.

Last edited by JViello; 09-07-2011 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: Fixed Text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 01:47 PM

941 posts, read 1,804,981 times
Default Looks like we scared her away with too many real life decisions.

Hi Dottie,

That's just the way they are in CT. They don't even see it as bad behavior.. Is that what you want? Nope.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotty19 View Post
It just doesn't seem worth it. Why move 7 hours away to a place with high crime and bad driving conditions. The school outside of DC I withdrew from was in an area exactly the same but it wasn't 7 hours away. Seems to me I might as well go to a school just as good (or better) that's set somewhere closer to home and not crime ridden.

First; him. And second I don't fully understand what you mean by that...?
What we are trying to tell you is it's not a "high crime" area, and frankly the drivers are no different than anywhere between DC and Boston...better in some ways, worse in others. I actually have a hard time believing that you would pass up a quality college based on 4 anonymous internet posting and that's it.

Does this look like a high crime area to you? This where UHART is located. It's surrounded by turn of the 19th century million dollar homes. LOL

Google Maps

Google Maps

In fact I was just on gorgeous Westerly Terrace across the way doing some work for a nice professional gay couple who work at CCMC.

Oh wait, there is that one "horrible" slummed out apartment housing project near by though. Careful.

Google Maps

And be sure to watch out for this Hartford neighborhood which is about 1000 feet away from the campus on the Hartford side.

Google Maps

boogity boogity boogity...

Then again, all the Jewish centers nearby may poise a threat. You know those rogue Jewish boys. You might get hit by a golf ball too as the Hartford Country Club is literally across the street from campus. I hear they have "handgun" day as well.

The Hartford Golf Club*Home Page What ghetto! LOL

Downtown Hartford is nice, not a bombed out city.

//www.city-data.com/forum/conne...to-thread.html

If you are in the least bit serious, do yourself a favor and have a closer look, or you'll be selling yourself short.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
Hi Dottie,

That's just the way they are in CT. They don't even see it as bad behavior.. Is that what you want? Nope.
How's the pizza in Roanoke.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:28 PM

Default New Haven & Hartford Pizza

THE BEST of the BEST, unless you go to Italy for it

Old 09-07-2011, 02:29 PM

184 posts, read 292,464 times
JViello is 100% correct on the thing about comparisons. Hartford has a couple bad neighborhoods but it is actually one of the safer cities in the country, by far.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:30 PM

Default JViello ... you really are hitting below the belt now

We both know, hands down that New Haven / Hartford pizza, authentic pizza is King.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:44 PM

184 posts, read 292,464 times
"Hartford pizza"? New Haven pizza is most likely the best in the country (and maybe the world, I have been to the Naples and Rome areas several times and not found better), but Hartford?

Old 09-07-2011, 02:45 PM

337 posts, read 1,024,073 times
Dotty, it just seemed like you are giving up on Hartford because of a bunch of windbags on a forum instead of doing your own searching. I think it's a good idea to apply to your local schools. I know a few people who went to College Park and graduated with good jobs and life plans. It seemed to prepare them well.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:06 PM

Default Yes, its true

Yes, its true about Hartford pizza .. I was just trying to be diplomatic.
New Haven pizza is hypnotic. My fave is Sally's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut