Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 12:44 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonusa3 View Post
From what I've seen once of the reasons that NYC/Long Island/southern CT have leaves that change later (and some would argue less colorful) is that there are fewer maples here than points north (northern CT, Upstate NY/New England). Also oaks and other types seem to hold there leaves longer than maples. I just passed through Waterbury and the trees are either bare or full color. While in New Haven, there is still many trees with leaves (and still some green even) or the colors are just coming out.
I have extreme doubts about that.

I mountain bike all over the state and the tree composition looks pretty consistent to me from south to north.

Maybe a smidge more evergreens north.

The difference between Waterbury and New Haven is simple: New Haven is lower in latitude, lower in elevation, and has some lingering warming effects from the sound. It's warmer. That means later peak.

Right now there are lots of vivid colors in the region to be found around the Merritt and south. I actually feel like the area around the Merritt got better color that points north where a lot of trees just turned brown and fell off. Not sure why. It's probably climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2023, 12:56 PM

6,892 posts, read 3,736,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

I mountain bike all over the state and the tree composition looks pretty consistent to me from south to north.

The difference between Waterbury and New Haven is simple: New Haven is lower in latitude, lower in elevation, and has some lingering warming effects from the sound. It's warmer. That means later peak.

Right now there are lots of vivid colors in the region to be found around the Merritt and south. I actually feel like the area around the Merritt got better color that points north where a lot of trees just turned brown and fell off. Not sure why. It's probably climate.
are you one of those serious riders with full Fox suspension?

Old 11-02-2023, 07:13 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Quote:
I read once, that when/where the leaves change also has something to do with soils and tree type. From what I've seen once of the reasons that NYC/Long Island/southern CT have leaves that change later (and some would argue less colorful) is that there are fewer maples here than points north (northern CT, Upstate NY/New England). Also oaks and other types seem to hold there leaves longer than maples. I just passed through Waterbury and the trees are either bare or full color. While in New Haven, there is still many trees with leaves (and still some green even) or the colors are just coming out. Here is live pic of the campus of Southern CT State U, it has good shots of the November color:

https://www.livebeaches.com/webcams/...cam-west-rock/
I think climate is the major force in this (namely temperatures), but some tree species do drop their leaves earlier than others. In NYC there are a lot of this type of tree of which there are a few in Stamford.

I'm willing to bet the image was taken in August, since that is the time they begin unlike many other trees. I would hate having (or a close neighbor) one of these anywhere near my property. August is too early to rake leaves and have a mess on the yard. lol

Old 11-02-2023, 07:22 PM

961 posts, read 319,961 times
Quote:

It is interesting to analyze.

No doubt I think you're right about the climate part: Places in coastal Connecticut/Long Island/...etc are obviously warmer than points north/west, so the color should be later. However, it seems that tree type plays just as an important role. Maples are well known to give of the most vivid color, while the oaks are often not as bright/sharp. Also, oak loose their leaves/hold the green color longer than maples.

If you travel from New London to Torrington for example (a NW direction), the colors seem to get better and better. I do this drive often, and it's pretty significant in most years. If you check species type, you can see how the maples fade in coastal Connecticut/Long Island/points southeast:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/foresthealth...cies_Atlas.pdf

Here are the classic sugar maples and silver maples...you can see maples dominate in points north and west...but as you move south-southeast, they fade away (page 140 - 141) as you head along coastal Connecticut/Long Island south through eastern NJ, DE, MD, ...etc.

Sugar Maple

Silver Maple:

I'm sure this is also created by climate too, meaning more maples (north - northwest) and more oaks (south and southeast).
Attached Thumbnails
Connecticut Fall Foliage-rm.jpg   Connecticut Fall Foliage-sm.jpg  

Old 11-03-2023, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Not Fox, but similar. Yes, I do dumb things on a regular basis.

Old 11-03-2023, 10:31 AM

Quote:
It is interesting to analyze.

No doubt I think you're right about the climate part: Places in coastal Connecticut/Long Island/...etc are obviously warmer than points north/west, so the color should be later. However, it seems that tree type plays just as an important role. Maples are well known to give of the most vivid color, while the oaks are often not as bright/sharp. Also, oak loose their leaves/hold the green color longer than maples.

If you travel from New London to Torrington for example (a NW direction), the colors seem to get better and better. I do this drive often, and it's pretty significant in most years. If you check species type, you can see how the maples fade in coastal Connecticut/Long Island/points southeast:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/foresthealth...cies_Atlas.pdf

Here are the classic sugar maples and silver maples...you can see maples dominate in points north and west...but as you move south-southeast, they fade away (page 140 - 141) as you head along coastal Connecticut/Long Island south through eastern NJ, DE, MD, ...etc.

Sugar Maple

Silver Maple:

I'm sure this is also created by climate too, meaning more maples (north - northwest) and more oaks (south and southeast).
I don't doubt there's some change as you go south. I can't speak for the southeast of CT though, but here where I bike in north Milford, Orange, Woodbridge there's lots of maples. Not much different from when I hit northwest CT (almost to Mass). Along Milford streets there's a lot of maples too. We have a nice mix of foliage here. Maybe the southeast corner is different.

Old 11-03-2023, 11:00 AM

6,585 posts, read 4,970,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Quote:
I am. When I'm out alone though I rarely stop to pull my phone out unless I see something spectacular. Colors were a little muted last week where I went.

Old 11-03-2023, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I am. When I'm out alone though I rarely stop to pull my phone out unless I see something spectacular. Colors were a little muted last week where I went.
It was beautiful in Woodbridge but very muted at Norbrook last week.

Old 11-03-2023, 11:18 AM

6,585 posts, read 4,970,443 times
Quote:
It was beautiful in Woodbridge but very muted at Norbrook last week.
I was in Manchester/Glastonbury. I've gotten great pix in years past but not too good this year. I should be out there today but I'm too busy.

I have a dogwood and chinese (red) maple and they are sure hanging on!

Old 11-03-2023, 11:38 AM

6,892 posts, read 3,736,068 times
Quote:
Rock Shox?
Why is it dumb? I had Santa Cruz bikes.
If there’s a better way to enjoy CT fall foliage than on a bike I’d like know what that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut