Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 03:44 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Here's a cool Foliage link... A live map that shows you where the leaves are turning colors and you can even file a report with photos. Double click an area to see a report.

http://www.yankeefoliage.com/live-fall-foliage-map/

Here's the Home Page: New England foliage: Live Foliage Map & Scenic Drives -- Free Foliage App - Yankee Foliage - Your Source for New England Fall Foliage

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 03:46 PM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times
I haven't seen any "turning" down on the coast yet. I was just in northern FFC and didn't see much either.

Planning on a White Mountains trip sometime early Oct.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:48 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
I never understood why people enjoy the site of leaves decaying and dying. Thankfully here in Middlesex county, green is the dominant color!

Old 09-15-2011, 03:59 PM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I never understood why people enjoy the site of leaves decaying and dying. Thankfully here in Middlesex county, green is the dominant color!
It's an interesting natural process that yields some great variation in color, that's why. It's not like trees are suffering, or it's an unnatural death. This is what they do to survive in the winter. It's perfectly healthy, I wouldn't call it a process of "decay".

Old 09-15-2011, 04:17 PM

576 posts, read 1,219,022 times
I think the color yellow, red, and orange what makes me feel warmer during cool October LOL

Old 09-15-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
It's an interesting natural process that yields some great variation in color, that's why. It's not like trees are suffering, or it's an unnatural death. This is what they do to survive in the winter. It's perfectly healthy, I wouldn't call it a process of "decay".
The amount of energy a tree puts into growth is amazing. It deserves to rest and go to sleep. :-)

BTW - Between the bark and wood is the Cambium layer which is responsible for increases in tree diameter (by creating annual rings) and responds to injury by producing callus tissue. Now you know. - Cambium

Old 09-18-2011, 04:53 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,780 times

I took a walk around the Montgomery Pinetum in Greenwich today and saw these leaves overhead. I'm extremely excited about autumn finally coming to Connecticut!

Old 09-19-2011, 04:35 PM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times
I believe its on exit 34 northbound on the Merrit Parkway, on the right there is a small tree that is already at peak. I guess the little guy got excited with the resent chill. Should had followed the advice from its more mature neighbors. LOL!

In any case, driving on the Merrit, especially around exist 34 northbound, its quite visible that the trees are beginning to change colors. Many of the greens are not as vibrant anymore and there's this sort of brownish tint on the canopy.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
I believe its on exit 34 northbound on the Merrit Parkway, on the right there is a small tree that is already at peak. I guess the little guy got excited with the resent chill. Should had followed the advice from its more mature neighbors. LOL!

In any case, driving on the Merrit, especially around exist 34 northbound, its quite visible that the trees are beginning to change colors. Many of the greens are not as vibrant anymore and there's this sort of brownish tint on the canopy.
'
LOL. Poor little guy. Didnt he know the sun was about to shoot off more flares and warm us up?

Maples definetly starting to change. Some Birches too. Maybe with the weekend rains we'll see more by next week.

Does anyone remember when they started last year? We had a warmer September last year so I have to imagine later.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:14 PM

Forgot to mention I Was in Danbury today. Looks like you can see more colors up there without looking close.

I was about 850 feet above sea level. The view was pretty nice from RT39 Bel Pond Road. You can see the valley and the mountains in the distance off to the NorthEast towards Litchfield County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut