Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 01:50 PM

83,540 posts, read 75,373,979 times

Advertisements

Crimson Maple leaves are falling at the coast. Tops almost look thinned out now. They are usually the first. Colors are becoming embedded in the leaves more and more but the warm weather is holding them off.

North of I-84 different story... colors are more apparent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 02:41 PM

10,112 posts, read 14,985,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
You'd be hard pressed to find people who don't like the colors of fall. People who don't like fall don't like the clouds that come along with season or the fact that the changing leaves are a harbinger of death for plants and warmth. If the leaves changed while the temperature remained 78° F year round, with constant sun, and the leaves never fell off the trees or browned, I think we'd be hearing a different tune from the autumn haters.
I don't consider myself an "Autumn hater," but I definitely have mixed feelings about this season.

On the one hand, I like to see the leaves change color, especially during peak (duh!)

But on the other hand, I hate-hate-hate what Autumn means (aka, Winter is coming.)

Old 09-25-2011, 04:10 PM

502 posts, read 1,392,910 times
I love autumn... "the reds" are my favorite, followed by "the oranges". And I love what it signals; that everything gets to rest a while and the focus of life becomes other things. Some think me insane that I actually enjoy shoveling snow (within reason) and miss winter in CT. But I do! I love that in CT, you can enjoy all four seasons in the form of being outdoors and doing things. I can't wait to try snowshoeing. My least favorite is "mud season", but even that has it's beauty.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
I love autumn... "the reds" are my favorite, followed by "the oranges". And I love what it signals; that everything gets to rest a while and the focus of life becomes other things. Some think me insane that I actually enjoy shoveling snow (within reason) and miss winter in CT. But I do! I love that in CT, you can enjoy all four seasons in the form of being outdoors and doing things. I can't wait to try snowshoeing. My least favorite is "mud season", but even that has it's beauty.
Plant Sugar Maples ... Amazing colors from it. This graph doesnt show it but it produces bright oranges.

EDIT: You can see which one is the sugar maple:
http://blog.landscapestlouis.com/files/2010/10/sugar-maple.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-25-2011, 06:31 PM

502 posts, read 1,392,910 times
Simply gorgeous! Thanks for sharing .... I love those maples

Old 09-26-2012, 12:18 PM

Default Autumn in 2012

Well, might as well update this thread since colors are now apparent throughout the state. I remember having leaves on the trees last year in Mid November and blowing leaves that fell in December. I seriously dought that will be happening this year as they seem early to change.

I also believe the trees I was seeing change over end of August was NOT from stress...I think that was the first sign they were about to change.

Im not sure if it was the clouds today but they seem to have "popped" from just 24-48hrs ago.

We've been having cool nights which has helped this process.

I remember many of us were complaining about the vivid colorless years we been having, especially last year with the 2 tropical salty systems and all the rain we got, we may get out best colors yet this year.

Bridgeport, CT

Old 09-26-2012, 12:27 PM

Dont forget to make a report. Its fast and easy and works on the honor system. Just make sure you read the difference between "turning" and "moderate". If there's still grees in the mix, its turning.

They will average out all the reports as time goes on.
New England Foliage Map - Yankee Foliage - Your Source for New England Fall Foliage

Look at the greens on the map 1 year and 1 week ago today (1st post)

Old 09-26-2012, 12:45 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Why would Westchester change sooner than CT on that map? Don't make sense!

Old 09-26-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Why would Westchester change sooner than CT on that map? Don't make sense!
Yeah, double click on the county, someone made a false "peak" report. Once more "green" reports come in, they will update based on the average report.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:17 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,368,638 times
You guys in the western and Northwest part of the state seem to have the start of fall color...but I was on I-95/395 from New Haven all the way to Norwich today and its still solid green. I know south-central and southeastern CT turn much later down here on the coast (mid/late October), but I'm shocked you guys have that much color already up in Northern/western CT. We should start to get more color down here in the next 3 weeks or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut