Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 08:54 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The minority? More than 50% of Americans use Windows based PC's. You know that.
This is the industry I work in, so let me shed a little light.

More than 50% of PC users use Windows. More like just under 90%. But it doesn't matter. Smartphone and tablet usage is growing exponentially. And guess who failed on that? Microsoft. They're a dying company. They came too little, too late to both smartphone and tablet OS's. Google and Apple dominate there.

Microsoft-based devices only account for about 50% of Internet traffic nowadays, despite their market dominance on PC's. Office will lose its market share as people move to cloud-based productivity services and competition emerges in the enterprise space. Microsoft is like countless other companies that didn't evolve to the future quick enough and will go extinct as a result.

As for Apple, they were the first mainstream modern desktop computer, operating system, mp3 player, smart phone and tablet. The entire recording industry failed as iTunes took the lion's share of a new distribution format. They've set the stage for just about every major consumer electronic technological achievement in the last 3 decades. And this time, Microsoft won't be able to create a clone that usurps and marginalizes their creation like in the 80's with Windows. As of last year, Apple is worth more as a company than Microsoft based on market capitalization.

Their products are well designed, well engineered, well built with build quality second-to-none and with marketing that's best-in-industry. I agree their products are not cheap and are not perfect, but I don't see anyone releasing better built and designed products.

We live in an age of transparency with social media, and if what you said about them was really true - that Apple just makes "overpriced, overrated, ugly garbage" - their stock price wouldn't be over $400 right now and they wouldn't be the most valued tech company in the world. Fortunately most people disagree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 09:55 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,694,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Find a single brand of Windows PC that outsells Macs. (Hint: Mac outsells every major brand) Macs can run Windows too, btw. It is clearly superior hardware. See what people who have actual expertise in computing use.
you may be pushing this a bit. i'm a developer and i don't see a lot of Mac shops out there. none actually. every major corporation that has an IT dept uses Microsoft technologies for their software development. at least those i've worked at (which is a lot) and a zillion more advertising on Monster every day. if you're a developer, you need to use MS to have even a chance at getting a job. Macs may have a good chunk of the home and school computer market but no way in the corporate world.

Quote:
Apple outsells all other brands of MP3 players combined. The iPad leads the tablet category by a 25 to 1 margin over its nearest competitor.
this i'll agree with. Apple is doing something right to build such a large following so quickly with every new product they come out with (iPad and iPhone most recently). and even though i will never buy a Mac, i will continue to at least consider an iPod when buying an mp3 player. i've owned 3 Nano's (gens 2, 4, 5) and may buy another if they finally get rid of this new smaller clip on design. preferred the stick design with the flywheel.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
you may be pushing this a bit. i'm a developer and i don't see a lot of Mac shops out there. none actually. every major corporation that has an IT dept uses Microsoft technologies for their software development. at least those i've worked at (which is a lot) and a zillion more advertising on Monster every day. if you're a developer, you need to use MS to have even a chance at getting a job. Macs may have a good chunk of the home and school computer market but no way in the corporate world.
Yes. Windows currently dominates in corporate, but Apple dominates in creative industries: video/film, audio, graphic design, advertising, etc. I don't think a major ad agency on the planet uses Windows-based machines for their creative dept. Most hardcore developers will use Windows, but some do use OS X or other Unix-based OS's. They're a minority, but I will say a lot of web/Flash/app developers use Mac's these days.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:15 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
if you're a developer, you need to use MS to have even a chance at getting a job.
Huh? The only kind of development that requires a PC is .net Development. Every other major development platform that I can think of can be done (and is done on a Mac). I am teaching Advanced Client Side Development this week and everyone is on a Mac. I see Mac's constantly when I teach Android and iOS Development. I see them frequently, although not exclusively among web developers and designers I train.

Yes, Windows PC's have the corporate market (for now), but to say they are required for developers isn't close to true.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Huh? The only kind of development that requires a PC is .net Development. Every other major development platform that I can think of can be done (and is done on a Mac). I am teaching Advanced Client Side Development this week and everyone is on a Mac. I see Mac's constantly when I teach Android and iOS Development. I see them frequently, although not exclusively among web developers and designers I train.

Yes, Windows PC's have the corporate market (for now), but to say they are required for developers isn't close to true.
.Net and VB, which unfortunately is pretty ubiquitous.

I hate .Net with a passion.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
.Net and VB, which unfortunately is pretty ubiquitous.

I hate .Net with a passion.
I don't teach the .net Languages (c# and VB). To many guys out there teaching these technologies drive down rates. They are also not what people seem interested in currently-- Much more interest in learning Android, iOS and web dev.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
I don't teach the .net Languages (c# and VB). To many guys out there teaching these technologies drive down rates. They are also not what people seem interested in currently-- Much more interest in learning Android, iOS and web dev.
App development is definitely sexier right now and more fun. Unfortunately so many major corporations/brands out there are set on sticking to Microsoft and .Net. Drives me nuts.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:49 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
All Apple products are overpriced, overrated, ugly garbage. You will never see me step foot in an Apple store. Just what we need....an overrated store in a depressingly ghetto city.
Overrated? I purchased my Macbook in 2004 and still have it to this day without having ONE problem with it (well, my puppy chewed the charger, but that's not Apple's problem - they even replaced it for free!). I can't say the same for my Gateway PC. After less than a year, it started running slow with viruses, spyware and eventually crashed on me. Talk about garbage...

Old 09-21-2011, 05:01 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,924,352 times
Sooo, i'm looking to buy a new computer for home. It'll be primarily basic web surfing but I will load a 3D cad software pkg onto it. Will mac run this type of software?

Old 09-21-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Sooo, i'm looking to buy a new computer for home. It'll be primarily basic web surfing but I will load a 3D cad software pkg onto it. Will mac run this type of software?
Depends. Most of the major CAD software is PC only. 3D rendering is a high demand function on computer resources... So get the fastest machine you can afford, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut