Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 07:21 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,014,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
All Apple products are overpriced, overrated, ugly garbage. You will never see me step foot in an Apple store. Just what we need....an overrated store in a depressingly ghetto city.
Are you happy with anything? LOL

You can make the argument that Apple is overpriced. (But is it REALLY?) But overrated, ugly and garbage is just pure hogwash.

Compare an iPod Touch to a Zune and tell me what ugly is. ROFL

Moreover, I dare you to to Best Buy or an Apple store and hold in your hand and test out a MacBook Air. All flash based drives, about half an inch thin closed, yet lacking nothing. Billet aluminum case as well. (Sure beats the plastic POS Samsung I'm on right now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
More than 50% of PC users use Windows. More like just under 90%. But it doesn't matter. Smartphone and tablet usage is growing exponentially. And guess who failed on that? Microsoft. They're a dying company. They came too little, too late to both smartphone and tablet OS's. Google and Apple dominate there.
Exactly. I think the biggest suprise thorn in Apples side right now is Google. And honestly, most of their products seem rushed to market and a bit "under done" IMO. I really don't find much Apple based software that is not polished to a higher degree.

Google = Hyundai. Good looking functional yet somewhat rushed to market and generic. Apple = Mercedes. Polished to a higher level and engineered to a point that makes you notice the difference.

I would own Apples, but honestly it's the price thing that's stops me. I'm hard on laptops - they come on the road in the work truck etc so I purchase a new one every year.

Having said that...I hate, HATE Windows 7 and I have a pretty solid technical background from working in Telecom to being an IT director in a 120 person company. It's Microsoft's botched attempt at OS-X.

I think the reason so many corporations are stuck in PC mode is several fold. Looking at it from a director standpoint, doing a forklift upgrade (Replacing everything at once) is really not feasible unless you have some big wind from uptop filling that sail. At best, you can get departments switched over one at at time but then it becomes a hog podge situation.

And most high level corporate IT guys are now in their 50's and resistant to change and learning new platforms etc. They just want to come in, have it work and not upset the apple cart (No pun intended) for another 10 years if they can. Hell, do you know how many legacy servers are still in corporate vaults today? It's shocking actually. LOL

I think that shift will happen going forward as the next generation come though used to doing network admin from a pad or phone while sitting in a sidewalk cafe. LOL

Last edited by JViello; 09-23-2011 at 07:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I think so-- not due to computer performance-- but due to the availability of good CAD software for the PC. You'll have a much wider range of choice of CAD packages that run on the PC..
I'd have to second this. You can get a whole lot more horsepower from a PC for the money and rendering CAD takes a good amount of it. (My particular field of expertise as an IT director for an aerospace company) Especially if you are going to get into complex modeling. Don't skimp on the processor or RAM. Get a quad core i7, you won't be disappointed as it's almost designed for that type of situation IMO. Paying for big storage is IMHO not putting money to good use in your situation. (Are you REALLY going to fill up a terabyte drive?)

If you don't care about the CAD stuff, heck a Mac Mini with Lion is a smoking deal for Apple. I'm thinking of getting one as a multi-media box for our living area. (File server for the Plasma, web based stuff like Netflix etc)

Old 09-23-2011, 01:15 PM

521 posts, read 1,151,528 times
The macs are great products, but yes, they cost more! So does a Jaguar! LOL
I think people are becoming more familiar with Mac products and getting more used to them and growing to like them more than the PC products.
You look and see how much the Apple stock has grown in the last 4 years! Wish i bought it when it was only $75/share.. now it's up to $400/share! Woohoo!

They have better virus protection, better hard drives, though yes, there's less programs out there for Mac users, which i don't find fair!
Who here has an Ipad? How do you like it? Do you need to pay a monthly fee to get on the web? Or Not?

Old 09-23-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMarley View Post
The macs are great products, but yes, they cost more! So does a Jaguar! LOL
I think people are becoming more familiar with Mac products and getting more used to them and growing to like them more than the PC products.
You look and see how much the Apple stock has grown in the last 4 years! Wish i bought it when it was only $75/share.. now it's up to $400/share! Woohoo!
Apple is IMO becoming a better choice for the general public. For corporate and business applications, you are really limited to one company and at the mercy of that company for development work.

That's one thing about Apple that I don't like...their closed source, our way or the highway attitude. They box you and developers in more than not. Granted, I understand it's a lot easier for quality control etc but there is also something to be said for open source software and hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMarley View Post
They have better virus protection, better hard drives, though yes, there's less programs out there for Mac users, which i don't find fair!

Who here has an Ipad? How do you like it? Do you need to pay a monthly fee to get on the web? Or Not?
I wouldn't say they have better virus protection, just that there are less threats towards Macs. That may change in the future.

iPads are good if that's what you need. I see a lot of people just swapping out their smart phones for iPads and regretting it.

You can get an iPad with WiFi connectivity or both WiFi and 3G cellular data on either ATT or Verizon. Just know the data plans are in the $30.00 range per month.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:36 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
A lot of iOS and OS X are actually open source. One of their arguments for not supporting Flash in favor of HTML5 was for the fact that Flash is completely closed and proprietary.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:57 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
A lot of iOS and OS X are actually open source. One of their arguments for not supporting Flash in favor of HTML5 was for the fact that Flash is completely closed and proprietary.
Huh? Actually no. None of iOS or OSx are open source-- as opposed to Android which is completely open source. Apple argues that open source is good for others, while closed source is good for their products. Their treatment of Adobe's Flash technology has widely been considered hypocritical...

The only reason Apple supports the HTML5 standard (as does Microsoft) is that Adobe doesn't own it. (Which is also its own absurdity since HTML5 won't even become a provisional standard until 2014).

Old 09-23-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Yea, I know there are a couple examples but IMO it's a drop in the bucket and you are still at Lord Apples mercy. Something as simple as having Samsung "Allshare" on our new 64D8000 plasma and having no application for mac. Really? So if I have a Mac, forget sharing your computer files through your wireless connection on your TV.

Try and service your Macbook or build your own Mac and see how far you get, know what I mean? I think it's a huge advantage Android had that got them up to speed fairly quick.

The Flash thing just makes me laugh. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. lol

Old 09-23-2011, 07:13 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Check it out: Apple - Open Source

Obviously only components, but more than Microsoft can claim.

Although I would like Flash on iDevices, I agree with their decision for the long term and welcome HTML5 eventually making Flash obsolete. I like the idea of multiple browsers optimizing performance competetively vs. one plug-in. IE is the big hurdle. I can't wait to see Microsoft fail in so many ways.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Huh? Actually no. None of iOS or OSx are open source-- as opposed to Android which is completely open source. Apple argues that open source is good for others, while closed source is good for their products. Their treatment of Adobe's Flash technology has widely been considered hypocritical...

The only reason Apple supports the HTML5 standard (as does Microsoft) is that Adobe doesn't own it. (Which is also its own absurdity since HTML5 won't even become a provisional standard until 2014).
I was typing as you replied. Hey, great minds... lol

I thought there were a few examples of Mac opening up their source, but you are way more in tune with that world than I.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:21 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
Check it out: Apple - Open Source

Obviously only components, but more than Microsoft can claim.

Although I would like Flash on iDevices, I agree with their decision for the long term and welcome HTML5 eventually making Flash obsolete. I like the idea of multiple browsers optimizing performance competetively vs. one plug-in. IE is the big hurdle. I can't wait to see Microsoft fail in so many ways.
Just want to point out that many of those components are open source components that existed independently of Apple that Apple incorporated. Their commitment to open source goes as far as they take advantage of what they can use and make proprietary what they create.

This is not coming from any kind of Apple detractor, either. I am a long term Apple user, and Apple is a client of mine.

However, I see that their public relations effort is effective in this respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut