Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 12:43 PM

428 posts, read 832,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTJayC View Post
I dunno, a high end brand in an area like that? Are they really expecting to run the whole store off Yale sales? It's not a convenient location for cars, so I can't imagine it generating a lot of out of town traffic. Just seems like a PR move.
There are already many other high end stores in DT NH. Are they also there for PR purposes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 01:48 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,694,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
.Net and VB, which unfortunately is pretty ubiquitous.

I hate .Net with a passion.
forget VB - C# is the way to go.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:59 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
An area like "that" is actually chock full of affluent people. It's in an upscale area of New Haven, and will also attract Apple fans from the suburbs (from Madison to Trumbull). There are only so many of them so it's really a regional store over local. It will do very well.
Agreed. They do extensive research before making a plunge like this - the outlay for the construction alone was over $5MM. That's why you rarely see a dead Apple Store.

They have a big region to attract with plenty of affluence.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:41 PM

576 posts, read 1,219,512 times
That is great for New Haven downtown...

Old 09-22-2011, 03:11 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,924,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I think so-- not due to computer performance-- but due to the availability of good CAD software for the PC. You'll have a much wider range of choice of CAD packages that run on the PC..
Thank you sir!

Old 09-22-2011, 08:14 AM

184 posts, read 292,464 times
Great work, New Haven. You are now one of the few cities in the world with a street fronting Apple Store. Most of them are located in depressing shopping malls, even the one in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Now we need to convince the powers that be to move the "WestFarms" (which has nothing to do with farms) Apple store to Downtown Hartford, or downtown West Hartford at the very least.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon860 View Post
Now we need to convince the powers that be to move the "WestFarms" (which has nothing to do with farms) Apple store to Downtown Hartford, or downtown West Hartford at the very least.
Ain't gonna happen.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:35 PM

86 posts, read 129,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
All Apple products are overpriced, overrated, ugly garbage. You will never see me step foot in an Apple store. Just what we need....an overrated store in a depressingly ghetto city.
I disagree on both counts. New Haven is not a ghetto city. Detroit is. Gary, Indiana, is. Newark is. The neighborhoods of the South Bronx and East New York are more ghetto than New Haven is. I lived in Storrs for three years (1998-2001) and visited New Haven many times. I saw the really bad areas once, maybe twice. Downtown was very nice, even in the late 90s.

As for Apple, my first computer was a Power Mac. Got it in 1996 for my freshman year of college. I hated it. It was underpowered, slow and crashed all the time. I finally got rid of it in 2003 and got a PC, a Dell. Couldn't get a Lenovo brand PC, because Thinkpads were still made by IBM at the time. It was great at first, but after a year, the fan started making helicopter sounds. Then I got hit with spyware, all because I accidentally checked "Yes" to some pop-up bar that came on the screen. Yet I kept that computer till August 2009. After seeing and trying out my friends' and my girlfriend's Macs, I liked what I saw and decided to give Apple a second chance. I didn't want to wait for Windows 7 (at the time Microsoft was still on Vista), so I decided to go back to Mac. Haven't looked back since then.

It's very good to hear that New Haven is getting an Apple store. I know it will be a success. I'm glad they decided to open it in New Haven itself and not in some suburban mall near the city. This is good news, no doubt about it.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:17 PM

158 posts, read 199,128 times
Default Downtown New Haven

Yes the Apple Store will also generate lots of "destination" foot traffic.

Someone said parking: There is plenty of parking right there in the lot at the front door. I believe it is 75 cents/hr maybe a little more.
Plus if you don't think people in Westville, East Rock, Wooster Square, and Downtown will travel there by bus, bike, and walking than you are wrong.
The B, Q, D buses stop right there.

15 years ago none of those stores were there on that block. Now there is a core group of destination stores.
-J Crew
-Apple Store
-Urban Outfitters
-American Eagle
-Origins
-Gant

joining long time staples:
-Cutlers Records
-J Press
-Toads Place
-Barnes and Nobles
-plus ice cream, pizza, hamburger joints, and Yale clothing stores.

Add this to the new restaurants, bars, two new supermarkets, new housing developments, the new Gateway College complex, the new Study Hotel a few years back, and downtown New Haven has not been this solid in generations if not...

Old 09-22-2011, 10:47 PM

The Greenwich store was an interesting transformation, going from this:

To this:

Attached Thumbnails
Apple Store opening this weekend in New Haven-screen-shot-2011-09-23-12.46.14  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut