Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 04:25 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times

Advertisements

DW and I decided to head out this morning to do some Christmas shopping. We woke up, I made everyone pancakes, my MIL came over to make sauce and watch the kids, and we had planned on it being a great day. Unfortunately, the Connecticut resident had other plans for us.

1. First stop was Home Depot in East Haven. We were looking at chandeliers for our dining room when an elderly woman carrying a box started walking toward us. A father at the other end of the aisle just who just finished talking to a HD employee proceeded toward us as well pushing a handtruck with his young son sitting on the bottom (the HD employee didn't object). As they passed, the little kid stuck out his leg and tripped the woman, who fell very hard and probably messed up her knee. The father turned around and took off. We helped the woman as much we could, and called over an employee and the manager for help. The manager was more concerned with the fact that the woman be aware this wasn't on Home Depot, as "it was another customer's negligence, not ours". From the father who took off, to the store manager not concerned about the 70 year old woman's well being, I was was pretty disgusted.

2. Off to Milford we went. We headed to the Milford Marketplace to go to Joseph A Bank. I had my left signal on waiting for someone to back out, when a jack-ass in a Cadillac SUV sped down the row and slipped into the spot before me. No doubt he knew I was waiting. I put up my hands as he quickly hopped out, and I got the finger. LOL, you've got to be kidding me. So we decided against Milford Marketplace and decided to just head to Petco.

3. Pulled out of Milford Marketplace and proceeded to the stoplight. I stopped and there were two cars in front of me. BAM, hit from behind. We were hit so hard that our Pilot got pushed into the car in front of us. Pulled to the side, as did the car in front of us, and got out only to see a Ford Expedition with a smashed front pulling a U turn in the middle of the Post Road, and taking off. Thankfully someone going the other way got his license plate and came back to the scene to give it to the cops (the guy is a father of three from Orange...). We got checked out at Milford hospital which was pretty fast and decided to go get something to eat. Off to Plan B we went.

4. Arrived back at the Milford Marketplace and went into Plan B. It was about 12:30 PM, and we walked in to find a man screaming at the hostess. He was angry because they waited for 3 minutes past their quoted 15 minute wait time. He demanded a seat and the hostess started to cry. The manager came over and the guy stormed out. My wife told the manager that the hostess was nothing but professional and the guy was incredibly unreasonable.

Okay - what the heck is with people? I'm really shocked and saddened that society has gotten like this, and I feel like it's getting worse by the year. What ever happened to human compassion, morality and integrity? I guess this is more of a vent than anything, but next time you're out running errands, realize you're not the only person who needs to get things done and should something happen, be responsible for your actions.

I'm embarrassed at what American society has become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 04:34 PM

633 posts, read 1,644,572 times
Connecticut not the only one... what you experience I hardly see that whenever I get to downtown Hartford every morning and around friendly ghetto people thats right ghetto people Maybe the people you saw might be from Long Island :-|

Old 12-04-2011, 04:40 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,294 times
C'mon Kid, don't whitewash all of American society because of a few bad apples. I'm glad your family wasn't hurt from the accident; you might want to try shopping online until the new year...

Old 12-04-2011, 04:47 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
Maybe the people you saw might be from Long Island :-|
I'm not sure why anyone from Long Island would be at Home Depot in East Haven with a hand truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
C'mon Kid, don't whitewash all of American society because of a few bad apples.
That's a little tough to do after the day we had. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
I'm glad your family wasn't hurt from the accident; you might want to try shopping online until the new year...
Thanks, we're fine - probably a little whiplash but that's about it. I'm just surprised someone thought he could take off with a million cars around and get away with it!

Old 12-04-2011, 05:37 PM

879 posts, read 1,660,162 times
Geez...I'm sorry. I am also saddened by behavior like that. I hope the hit-and-run offender is held accountable.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:09 PM

633 posts, read 1,644,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'm not sure why anyone from Long Island would be at Home Depot in East Haven with a hand truck.

lol hahaha... I mean native LIders living there...

Old 12-04-2011, 06:48 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,864 times
Man, that's terrible. It makes me realize why I want to live in a rural area and shop online where possible.

The worst thing is always being in a car accident. Everything else you can shake off and get over with a nice meal or a good laugh. Between the possible injury and the incredible irritation of dealing with the repairs/replacement, insurance, possible litigation, etc - it's an absolute nightmare. Even moreso for a single person with no spouse to assist.

I do think that shopping around the holidays, this stuff seems to be even worse than the norm. People in a bad economy, trying to at least do something special for their kids and family for christmas, pushed to the end of their rope and on edge. It's bound to be a terrible outcome.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:48 PM

680 posts, read 1,575,714 times
You guys were not pepper sprayed or shot and still complaining?

Old 12-04-2011, 08:26 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Thankfully I don't have to do Christmas shopping for anyone, as usual. In my family, it's only the kids who receive gifts. And even then, my mother does most of her shopping online anyway.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:01 PM

74 posts, read 152,438 times
Christmas shopping???

I saw stuff this crazy trying to buy pumpkins at Silvermans farm before Halloween

Everyone is in a huge rush to......I have no idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut