Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 06:56 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Wave: I'm seeing the same temp differential removing altitude completely from the occasion. Wind direction and sound proximity are the current factors.
and Upton answered my thoughts why I was dropping so hard before and added frost potential to parts of Fairfield county now. They had to adjust their temp forecast down again because winds died down earlier.

National Weather Service Text Product Display
739 PM EDT MON SEP 23 2013

NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM TUESDAY MORNING/...

TEMPERATURES ADJUSTED SLIGHTLY DOWNWARD AS WINDS ARE DIMINISHING ACROSS THE REGION EARLY THIS EVENING. INSERTED MORE PATCHY FROST IN THE FORECAST FOR PORTIONS OF PUTNAM COUNTY AND NORTHERN FAIRFIELD COUNTY AS WELL AS PARTS OF EASTERN SUFFOLK COUNTY INTO EARLY TUESDAY MORNING. SLIGHT ADJUSTMENTS WERE MADE WITH DEWPOINTS AS WELL THIS EVENING. OTHERWISE...FORECAST ON TRACK WITH CLEAR SKIES CONTINUING.

WITH CLEAR SKIES AND NEARLY CALM WINDS FOR THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY...INTERIOR PORTIONS OF SOUTHERN CT...AND THE PINE BARRENS OF LONG ISLAND...CAN EXPECT EXCELLENT RADIATIONAL COOLING CONDS TO DEVELOP. OVERNIGHT LOWS IN THESE AREAS WILL DROP INTO THE MID AND UPPER 30S. FOR NYC SURROUNDING SUBURBS AND COASTAL AREAS LOWS WILL DROP INTO THE MID/UPPER 40S.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:57 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Quote:
Wave: I'm seeing the same temp differential removing altitude completely from the occasion. Wind direction and sound proximity are the current factors.
Agree 1000% about that part.

Wind direction and Sound(ocean) proximity are ALWAYS the factors in low temps in the Tri-State area.

Now we know why sometimes on a January day it's 27 F and snowing in Torrington....and 43 F and raining in New Haven or New London.

You couldn't pay me enough to ever move inland or to NW CT.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:26 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Perhaps the allure of cooler summer highs and more modest heat indices may be a draw? I was cooler on both an absolute and perceived (heat index) basis throughout July.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:07 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Agree 1000% about that part.

Wind direction and Sound(ocean) proximity are ALWAYS the factors in low temps in the Tri-State area.

Now we know why sometimes on a January day it's 27 F and snowing in Torrington....and 43 F and raining in New Haven or New London.

You couldn't pay me enough to ever move inland or to NW CT.
Ugh...the SAME conversation we have to hear...year after year after year ........ WE GET IT!!!!

Old 09-23-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Perhaps the allure of cooler summer highs and more modest heat indices may be a draw? I was cooler on both an absolute and perceived (heat index) basis throughout July.
No doubt that is a nice bonus as well.

Truth be told, if you look at the numbers really hard (at least from what I've seen) it's not "that much" cooler on the coast, unless one is truly on the "waters edge". I'm if it's 92 in Hartford on a typical summer heat wave what is it in New Haven or Stamford - 87 F. Still, your right, it can be cooler.

Also, I can tell you here on the coast east of New Haven, that often we get a bit of humidity in October when much of the state seems a drier. I've driven from Madsion, Saybrook, New London to maybe Hartford or Bristol and it seems a bit drier. Of course we are the absolute last to see the trees change - things down here are still deep green and will be until well into October.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:31 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Amazing how many well below nights we're having this month. I'm at my lowest yet. 40.5°! 10-15 below normal across the Northeast.

NWS Mesonet Temps across CT. 36 Eastford, 38 Danbury, 38 Litchfield, 38 Norfolk, 39 Danbury, 39 Stamford, 39 Canton, 39 Orange, 39 Tolland, 41 Norwalk, 42 Sherman, 46 BDR,

Old 09-24-2013, 05:03 AM

We fell to 44.6 F .....the coolest so far since late April.

Currently it looks like the coolest temps (some spotty 30's F) are up in the NW Hills of CT/NW NJ.....while some of the coastal areas are already 44 - 46 F or so:

I think everyone should warm quickly this morning as that sun gets going. Last night looks to be the coolest of the next week or so, as lows should be closer to upper 40's and 50's F in the coming days. Can you say "Mediterranean weather" - lol...well we should say it, because the weather looks to stay perfect for some time - stable, no storms, bone dry, and nearly cloudless skies. Temps should find 70 's F. Another good beach day today...enjoy.

[/url]

Old 09-24-2013, 05:31 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
We fell to 44.6 F .....the coolest so far since late April.

Currently it looks like the coolest temps (some spotty 30's F) are up in the NW Hills of CT/NW NJ.....while some of the coastal areas are already 44 - 46 F or so:

I think everyone should warm quickly this morning as that sun gets going. Last night looks to be the coolest of the next week or so, as lows should be closer to upper 40's and 50's F in the coming days. Can you say "Mediterranean weather" - lol...well we should say it, because the weather looks to stay perfect for some time - stable, no storms, bone dry, and nearly cloudless skies. Temps should find 70 's F. Another good beach day today...enjoy.

[/url]
Haha. If this was the Weather on the Med sea they'd be shivering to record lows this morning. Does anyone remember a September with this many cold mornings? Fall has taken hold alot quicker this year folks.. Average to slightly below average weather shall continue it's dominance!!!! Good start to the fall!

Last edited by jp03; 09-24-2013 at 05:54 AM..

Old 09-24-2013, 06:04 AM

Updated current temps:

Based on the current hrly data, looks like there is close to a 10 F temp difference between the higher elevation inland areas north of the Merrit and those stations down close to the coast:

Old 09-24-2013, 06:40 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Some of those areas north of the Merritt and still in the 30s are below 100 feet elevation Wave. Fairfield above the Merritt sits at 59 feet above sea level and still at 39. It's not elevation. I'm also curious as to why elevation doesn't work on the flip side in summer as some of the warmest spots in state such as Southington are 500 feet or more above sea level? Shouldn't the "extreme" altitude keep these locations as much as 10 degrees cooler?

I've attached a map of elevation for the state to assist.
Attached Thumbnails
New Connecticut Weather Thread-ct_h.gif  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut