Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2019, 10:29 AM

413 posts, read 317,567 times

Advertisements

We didn’t leave Connecticut. Connecticut left us.

But Connecticut’s political class has made it clear that people like us are no longer welcomed. They have created an environment that is hostile toward business, resulting in anemic long-term economic growth. Simultaneously, they have grown state government spending at a faster pace, driven by outrageously generous and unsustainable state employee union contracts.

The twin demographic trends — retirees and young people leaving Connecticut — ought to ring alarms at the state capitol. Unfortunately, the political agenda of the new governor and legislature is simply more of the same. After decades of demonstrably failed policies, we had hoped for a different outcome that held the prospect for a new direction. But like many, we viewed the most recent state election as a tipping point.

https://www.courant.com/opinion/insi...rvhm-story.html

Old 09-16-2019, 10:42 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post

But Connecticut’s political class has made it clear that people like us are no longer welcomed. They have created an environment that is hostile toward business, resulting in anemic long-term economic growth. Simultaneously, they have grown state government spending at a faster pace, driven by outrageously generous and unsustainable state employee union contracts.

The twin demographic trends — retirees and young people leaving Connecticut — ought to ring alarms at the state capitol. Unfortunately, the political agenda of the new governor and legislature is simply more of the same. After decades of demonstrably failed policies, we had hoped for a different outcome that held the prospect for a new direction. But like many, we viewed the most recent state election as a tipping point.

This is exactly how I feel. I like Connecticut, but resent the politicians who have made it what it is.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:12 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
CT's economic problems have no easy solutions. The state has restructured pension plans for newer hires. There should be a plan to get retired workers off of private healthcare plans when they become Medicare eligible. Covering the cost of the supplementals in lieu of redundant private insurance might be a worthwhile bridge avenue to explore. In any case all new hires should be required to go on Medicare when they retire and pay the full cost of their insurance if they retire prior to Medicare eligibility.

The teacher's pension needs a transition plan to a 401k type plan. Ideally individual municipalities could decide what portion of employee contributions they would match similar to what takes place in the private sector. A key requirement would be switching teachers out of their plan into Social Security. Cooperation with the federal government to eliminate the Windfall Elimination Provision which penalizes teachers with a 40% reduction in their Social Security earnings is an essential change that would be needed along with the switch to SS. However, municipalities would be responsible for the employer contribution to SS. Currently they do not pay anything toward SS because the contribution toward the pension plan is supposed to be made by the state since they are required by statue to pay pension obligations. There does appear to be a method for making this switch retroactive in the statue using pension contributions however this still wouldn't solve the problem funding the pensions of those already retired, many of whom, neither paid in nor are entitled to receive any Social Security.

Last edited by Lincolnian; 09-16-2019 at 12:22 PM..

Old 09-16-2019, 12:28 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post

The teacher's pension needs a transition plan to a 401k type plan. Ideally individual municipalities could decide what portion of employee contributions they would match similar to what takes place in the private sector. A key requirement would be switching teachers out of their plan into Social Security. Cooperation with the federal government to eliminate the Windfall Elimination Provision which penalizes teachers with a 40% reduction in their Social Security earnings is an essential change that would be needed along with the switch to SS. However, municipalities would be responsible for the employer contribution to SS. Currently they do not pay anything toward SS because the contribution toward the pension plan is supposed to be made by the state since they are required by statue to pay pension obligations. There does appear to be a method for making this switch retroactive in the statue using pension contributions however this still wouldn't solve the problem funding the pensions of those already retired, many of whom, neither paid in nor are entitled to receive any Social Security.
I's amazing so many espouse the virtues of public education in CT as if nothing in the world compares, yet are quick to rip the hearts out the middle class worker by taking away their pensions, in this case teachers who are critical to providing that wonderful education in CT.
NO retroactivity, if someone worked their entire careers under the guise of a pension, then they should be entitled to that pension. It wasn't their fault the state mismanaged. Put new hires in SS and a 401K and no pension, no problem.

Last edited by SteveM85; 09-16-2019 at 12:38 PM..

Old 09-16-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:

So what was the Vallo's problem? being rich and living in their beautifully built homes in Glastonbury wasn't enough? Many would give their right arm for that.
I feel so terrible for them. Damn those evil middle class state pensioners.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:59 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I's amazing so many espouse the virtues of public education in CT as if nothing in the world compares, yet are quick to rip the hearts out the middle class worker by taking away their pensions, in this case teachers who are critical to providing that wonderful education in CT.
NO retroactivity, if someone worked their entire careers under the guise of a pension, then they should be entitled to that pension. It wasn't their fault the state mismanaged. Put new hires in SS and a 401K and no pension, no problem.
I'm not advocating taking pensions away from existing teachers. It is a reality however, that the current plan for young teachers is problematic for them. If they leave teaching they received no SS security credit for the years they worked as a teacher. If they taught for under 10 years they are not vested and wouldn't receive a pension or SS for that service only a small lump sum. Additionally, those who work more than 10 years but less than 20 would have very small pensions and it is conceivable that they would have a number of years where they had Social Security earnings but the current Windfall Elimination Provision would reduce the SS they earned outside of teaching by 40% penalizing them for having worked a part of their career as a teacher. When the WEP was enacted the world was a very different place and that provision does not work properly for modern times.

Any changes for existing employees would have to be negotiated. Pensions of those retired need to be protected. Not yet hired employees are a different story. When it comes to healthcare I personally favor a move toward expanded Medicare. As a retired public employee, I do not see how I could advocate expanded Medicare without being willing to have it myself.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I'm not advocating taking pensions away from existing teachers. It is a reality however, that the current plan for young teachers is problematic for them. If they leave teaching they received no SS security credit for the years they worked as a teacher. If they taught for under 10 years they are not vested and wouldn't receive a pension or SS for that service only a small lump sum. Additionally, those who work more than 10 years but less than 20 would have very small pensions and it is conceivable that they would have a number of years where they had Social Security earnings but the current Windfall Elimination Provision would reduce the SS they earned outside of teaching by 40% penalizing them for having worked a part of their career as a teacher. When the WEP was enacted the world was a very different place and that provision does not work properly for modern times.

Any changes for existing employees would have to be negotiated. Pensions of those retired need to be protected. Not yet hired employees are a different story. When it comes to healthcare I personally favor a move toward expanded Medicare. As a retired public employee, I do not see how I could advocate expanded Medicare without being willing to have it myself.
I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of it all. I know YOU personally weren't advocating and I was referring to individuals closer to retirement age. I should have been more clear.
Fyi, I have no skin in the game. I'm not a public employee nor are any family members.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:36 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:

This is one of the biggest reasons Govt employees need unions, especially teachers. Most people also do not know that teachers do not pay into social security.

The pension issue isn't as big as people think because the owed money to vested employees are not due today nor tomorrow. They are due some time in the future. This is the "time value of money"
The news stories we read crying about pensions never mention this.

The actuaries have all this data. I would defer to them.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:41 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:

Who gives a _______ ? More crying and whining from millionaires. They can take their ball and go home now.

Go start a business and make millions in Republican controlled West Virginia then get back to us.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:11 PM

413 posts, read 317,567 times
Quote:

NO ONE is taking away their pensions. But the corrupt relationship between the public sector unions and the Democrats has to end. It can be reformed or it can go bankrupt. Pick your poison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut