Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 07:07 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,509,575 times

Advertisements

Here is a great satellite photo from NASA MODIS showing the snow cover across the region. You are also able to make out the ice cover on the Great South Bay, The Peconic and Gardiners Bays, portions of the Long Island Sound, New York Harbor, and the Hudson River.

You can see the area of Long Island sound frozen over in the New Haven area!

Old 02-21-2015, 07:28 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post

You can see the area of Long Island sound frozen over in the New Haven area!
Yup... now... close your eyes and imagine Long Island sound frozen over.

In 1779 people crossed a frozen Long Island sound with horse and buggies and walked across.

Also in 1917 people crossed over from Stamford to Long Island.

So will we see that again in our lifetime? Maybe.

We are living up to the name "New England Winters". Just imagine these more often and longer lasting maybe sometime soon or is happening now.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:34 AM

11,292 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

In 1779 people crossed a frozen Long Island sound with horse and buggies and walked across.

We are living up to the name "New England Winters". Just imagine these more often and longer lasting maybe sometime soon or is happening now.
If this were happening since December and not simply since late January it might have even happened this year........1917 was interesting in that even NYC had 4 days in a row of subzero lows right around New Years Day, including one day at -13!

Old 02-21-2015, 07:39 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,395,633 times
Really sick and tired of this brutal cold. Give me snow, not brutal cold.

What's the deal with that storm on wed?

Old 02-21-2015, 08:09 AM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:

or.............it could be the warmest winter ever next year.

I actually think we are in for a warmer than normal spring.

And what is going on here this year will go down in HISTORY... doubt we will see this kind of prolonged cold again if it carries 2 more weeks.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:36 AM

302 posts, read 295,567 times
Now I'm beginning to wonder what kind of records there are for March.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:14 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
or.............it could be the warmest winter ever next year.
Has there ever been the warmest winter on record after a winter like this?. That's what you should be checking. Then ask yourself how many springs were warmer after a February like this.

Anybody can spit out predictions and statements. Lol but its another to back it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecostimpy View Post
Now I'm beginning to wonder what kind of records there are for March.
Yup.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Has there ever been the warmest winter on record after a winter like this?. That's what you should be checking. Then ask yourself how many springs were warmer after a February like this.

Anybody can spit out predictions and statements. Lol but its another to back it up

Yup.
Have we ever had a February like this after one of the warmest Decembers in a long time?

Its the law of averages...what happens today has no bearing on what happens in 6 weeks...sorry.

As for predictions you are right...there are NO logical techniques to see what will happen past about 4 weeks ..so I agree I shouldn't be guessing. But I'm willing to bet the pattern we are in now won't be in effect come spring. We have as much chance of an 80 degree day as a snowstorm.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:39 AM

[quote=Cambium;38535149]Has there ever been the warmest winter on record after a winter like this?. That's what you should be checking. Then ask yourself how many springs were warmer after a February like this.

Lets put it this way..did ANYBODY predict the coldest February on record in mid December? No... those signs didnt show up until mid January. Until people start accurately predicting long term weather and be right a good percentage of the time ...its ALL just guessing outside of about a month.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:59 AM

3,349 posts, read 4,165,458 times
[quote=jp03;38535482]
Quote:

Lets put it this way..did ANYBODY predict the coldest February on record in mid December? No... those signs didnt show up until mid January. Until people start accurately predicting long term weather and be right a good percentage of the time ...its ALL just guessing outside of about a month.
I get partial credit for predicting a snowy and brutally cold second half of winter. There was actually some science (and art) I based my claim on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut