Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 09:39 AM

21,634 posts, read 31,242,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedparking View Post
I have been unemployed for awhile now and was fortunate to get a new job in NYC. Needless to say, I took a paycut, etc. etc. I now need a parking space and Fairfield's waiting list places me at the bottom of the heap. I am asking those of you who no longer work in NYC and don't plan to do so, to please give up your permits. Holding on to your tickets for nostagia is causing hardship on others. Please search your conscience and help others out!
Seeing that the lot is full each morning, I don't think this is the case. Anyhow, good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 09:47 AM

209 posts, read 608,269 times
The list for parking at the fairfield is miles long and the wait several years. You probably won't be working in NYC any longer by the time you get your permit. Even if a few people gave up their permits, I don't think it would make much difference. Might I suggest parking at KoC for the small daily fee of $4 or you can park on round hill or the perpindicular surface road for free. Its a bit of a hike but worth it. IMO

Old 05-20-2011, 08:54 PM

462 posts, read 737,716 times
Not only is the lot only half full by 7:15, it's STILL not full by 10. There are clearly a LOT of people who are not using their passes, and they are not to blame, the town is for allowing it to happen. I also think there are quite a few people who are simply using fake passes. The system in this town pretty weak. A couple meter maids walking the lot look for a green piece of paper, with no bar code, hologram, etc. and a license number written in sharpie marker. Half the time I see them wedged in the windshield so you can't even see the permit number anyway.

What they SHOULD have done was build a PARKING GARAGE at the new station. There's nothing but empty space there. But no, instead we need a luxury hotel and a convention center Good work.

Last edited by SVTJayC; 05-20-2011 at 09:06 PM..

Old 05-21-2011, 08:06 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,958,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
Thanks Anaid.
Believe or not, yesterday I got a call that there was a parking spot available for me in Bridgeport for $45. I decided not to take it. I guess I am an spoiled brat but the $50 I will save a month (the Bridgeport fare is 28 dollars higher) is not worth the trouble. You see, the way I am now, I am closer to my child's middle school and it would be easier to take him if we miss the bus. I am also closer to the Wakeman's in Southport-I have to go there a couple of times a week. I guess when my child is older I will have more flexibility.
Wakeman's is right near the Southport train station. Could you walk?

There's a free commuter lot on Round Hill Road behind Tomlinson Middle School. You probably have to get there early to get a spot there.

Some people also park along Mill Plain Road around the I-95 overpass.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:26 AM

588 posts, read 1,873,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTJayC View Post
Not only is the lot only half full by 7:15, it's STILL not full by 10. There are clearly a LOT of people who are not using their passes, and they are not to blame, the town is for allowing it to happen. I also think there are quite a few people who are simply using fake passes. The system in this town pretty weak. A couple meter maids walking the lot look for a green piece of paper, with no bar code, hologram, etc. and a license number written in sharpie marker. Half the time I see them wedged in the windshield so you can't even see the permit number anyway.

What they SHOULD have done was build a PARKING GARAGE at the new station. There's nothing but empty space there. But no, instead we need a luxury hotel and a convention center Good work.
Better yet - go digital. Handheld barcode scanner, hit the sticker. If it doesn't match the license plate registered, $500 ticket to the car owner for illegally using a parking sticker and a letter to the sticker owner. 3 violations on a single sticker, and it is revoked forever for the owner of the sticker. Cost of implementation will probably pay for itself in the first month.

I know of quite a few people (on the receiving end of this) who got their parking sticker from a neighbor to use because the neighbor holds onto it just in case they end up needing it some day. For me, 4 1/2 yrs on the waiting list so far, and estimate as of a few months ago was another 4 - 7 yrs (excluding the new station).

As for how full the lot is - I'm on the 6:43 train most days, and the lot looks about half full by then. Forget the day spots - these are long gone. I would imagine the rest of the lot is full well before the 9am cutoff for permit requirements.

I agree that a parking garage would have made more sense - better use of sq footage, convenience of covered parking... not sure if the trains projected to use the new station would support the volume of passengers when you have more than 1500 parking spots. But if there IS that much demand - produce a couple of trains where Fairfield is the only (or 1 of 2 or 3) stop and make it a super-express. My favorite train coming home (when I can make it) is the 5:44 - it's 60 minutes most days from GCT to Fairfield.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:15 PM

Trust me, I used to commute into the city after 9:00am. There is PLENTY of parking in that lot even then. This notion that FF is the second busiest station is pure hype. Today I took the 6:43 which originates at FF, and it was half empty.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:28 AM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Quote:
Trust me, I used to commute into the city after 9:00am. There is PLENTY of parking in that lot even then. This notion that FF is the second busiest station is pure hype. Today I took the 6:43 which originates at FF, and it was half empty.
I have never seen a half empty train out of Fairfield on a weekday rush hour. I als have never seen the lot half empty. There may be a few spaces but they are reserved for monthly pass users not the general public. Jay

Old 05-24-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I have never seen a half empty train out of Fairfield on a weekday rush hour. I als have never seen the lot half empty. There may be a few spaces but they are reserved for monthly pass users not the general public. Jay
I take the 6:43 am train. Took it yesterday, took it today. There are plenty of seats available when she pulls out of Fairfield. As for the lot, I would say half full is being GENEROUS at 6:30am. More like 3/8 full. And like I said, when I used to commute in after 9am, and park for $6, there was NEVER a shortage of available spots. I only stopped doing that in March, doubt much has changed. 2 reasons for a shortage of parking in this fine town. 1) Inept and or corrupt local gov't. 2) Dishonest residents. More so #1 than #2.

As for the easy fix:

1) Make parking passes $1,200 per year. This will reduce the number of people who merely hold onto them for nostalgic purposes because they're so cheap.
2) Make people PROVE they take the train everyday. This is also very simple. Either a receipt of monthly train passes, or a letter from their company. Nobody who doesn't commute to a job should have a pass. Parking is free or close to free during all non-commute times.
3) Massive fines for people who improperly display a pass (most likely because its fake) or lend theirs out to others. After 2 fines, you lose your pass and go back to the end of the list.
4) Residents only. Nobody who doesn't pay taxes in Fairfield should be using our paring lot. Period. It's bad enough they use our beaches.
5) Expand parking. Contract out a 3rd party company to build/operate a garage somewhere in town, and either host a park and ride, or just build it near the new station.

Any combo of the above should fix the problem. But we'd rather waste time and money deciding if we need another softball field that 25 people use.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:12 PM

42 posts, read 78,108 times
there is a park and ride lot off 95 that you can park in and walk(small distance) to the station. that might save u some $$. also right before the 95 bridge there is a small parking lot at the bottom of the ludlow hs sport fields, thats a short walk to the station as well.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:12 AM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Quote:
I take the 6:43 am train. Took it yesterday, took it today. There are plenty of seats available when she pulls out of Fairfield. As for the lot, I would say half full is being GENEROUS at 6:30am. More like 3/8 full. And like I said, when I used to commute in after 9am, and park for $6, there was NEVER a shortage of available spots. I only stopped doing that in March, doubt much has changed. 2 reasons for a shortage of parking in this fine town. 1) Inept and or corrupt local gov't. 2) Dishonest residents. More so #1 than #2.

As for the easy fix:

1) Make parking passes $1,200 per year. This will reduce the number of people who merely hold onto them for nostalgic purposes because they're so cheap.
2) Make people PROVE they take the train everyday. This is also very simple. Either a receipt of monthly train passes, or a letter from their company. Nobody who doesn't commute to a job should have a pass. Parking is free or close to free during all non-commute times.
3) Massive fines for people who improperly display a pass (most likely because its fake) or lend theirs out to others. After 2 fines, you lose your pass and go back to the end of the list.
4) Residents only. Nobody who doesn't pay taxes in Fairfield should be using our paring lot. Period. It's bad enough they use our beaches.
5) Expand parking. Contract out a 3rd party company to build/operate a garage somewhere in town, and either host a park and ride, or just build it near the new station.

Any combo of the above should fix the problem. But we'd rather waste time and money deciding if we need another softball field that 25 people use.
I will take your word on that train but not long after that the trains and the parking lots fill up.

About your suggestions, there is not a lot of places in Fairfield that you could put up a large parking garage which is why it has not been done. The new station will have about 1,400 spaces and there is the ability to add more with a deck or garage there. It will need to be seen if or when that will be needed. As for limiting the parking to residents of Fairfield, the state won't allow it. Residents of towns like Easton and Trumbull need access to the trains as well. I also agree that the price of parking could be raised to weed out those who hold spaces for the heck of it. I do not know how you can prove that people use the parking regularly though. It would be expensive to monitor this regularly. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut