Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2014, 12:44 AM

678 posts, read 847,395 times

Advertisements

So...I heard that the last time someone had pals in Greenwich and became governor, they started an income tax in the state and relieved taxes on capital gains. <_<
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 05:24 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,134 times
Quote:
**Foley has a yacht, a plane, a mansion in Greenwich and me made no income for 2 years. How in the world can you support a yacht, a plane and a mansion in Greenwich with no income?
I have no reservations about what he has. He worked hard for his money and deserves the items he possesses. This 'practice' of claiming no income is nothing new. A lot of wealthy people do it. I don't like that fact that our society now degrades people for working hard, making money and having nice things. I thought that was the American Dream. America needs to stop giving hand outs to lazy people because we are becoming a bunch of idiots as evident because we are slipping as a world super power. I get mad when I see a perfectly healthy person with 5 kids (all different dads) on food stamps taking out cash from S&S because they know how to work the system. Meanwhile, I work 50+ hours a week and pay in coins. Its BS and frankly we are paying too much attention to lazy idiots rather than rewarding success.

Quote:
**Malloy (by your account) did not report 88K of his income.

Which in your opinion is worst and who do you think will screw the middle class the least? I am leaning towards Malloy on this one.
I would say Foley because the unknown is better than the reality. Malloy imposed the largest tax hike in CT's History which screwed the middle class. Jobs are leaving and people/working class can't afford it.

Now if Foley comes in and does the same thing than I'm throwing my hands up and moving to Canada.

Quote:
(ps: Thank You CT Republican and Democratic parties for giving us such stellar candidates to choose from lol)
[/quote]100% AGREE!! It's like choosing between going to bed with a skunk or an stink beetle. Either way, we come out smelling bad.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:57 AM

642 posts, read 859,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
He didn't report no income silly--- just did not pay taxes due to losses in his investments in a closely held S Corp (2.8 million was his income). There is quite a big difference.

[/url]
Mr 250 & Wilton2Park,

So this guy had an income of 2.8 million AND PAID NO TAXES while the struggling middle class is paying thousands every year many of whom are only making 50,000 to 100,000 a year? If you don't think this is screwing the middle class I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

I have to ask you, how in any universe is it acceptable for someone to make 2.8 million (thanks for that fact) AND NOT PAY ANY TAXES in a tightly held company.

I want to see the accounting in the tightly help company just the same way I wanted to see what was in Romney's tax returns in the last election presidential election. BTW I was poised to vote for Romney until all that came out just like I was about to vote for Foley.

Now I am going with Malloy.

It is the same old "hide all my money and stick it to the middle class" with these rich people and I AM SICK OF IT!

Old 10-14-2014, 07:08 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,170,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post
Mr 250 & Wilton2Park,

So this guy had an income of 2.8 million AND PAID NO TAXES while the struggling middle class is paying thousands every year many of whom are only making 50,000 to 100,000 a year? If you don't think this is screwing the middle class I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

I have to ask you, how in any universe is it acceptable for someone to make 2.8 million (thanks for that fact) AND NOT PAY ANY TAXES in a tightly held company.

I want to see the accounting in the tightly help company just the same way I wanted to see what was in Romney's tax returns in the last election presidential election. BTW I was poised to vote for Romney until all that came out just like I was about to vote for Foley.

Now I am going with Malloy.

It is the same old "hide all my money and stick it to the middle class" with these rich people and I AM SICK OF IT!
There are other calendar years that Foley has paid six figures in income tax.

Do me a favor and also give up apple products while you are at it. They have kept 100 billion in revenue in an offshore Ireland subsidiary. Foley has paid roughly 18% in federal income tax over the past decade while apple has kept a cool 35 billion from us citizens. Yet you probably will conveniently dismiss this simple little fact due to your political agenda. Given it a rest.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:13 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
There are other calendar years that Foley has paid six figures in income tax.

Do me a favor and also give up apple products while you are at it. They have kept 100 billion in revenue in an offshore Ireland subsidiary. Foley has paid roughly 18% in federal income tax over the past decade while apple has kept a cool 35 billion from us citizens. Yet you probably will conveniently dismiss this simple little fact due to your political agenda. Given it a rest.
Apple isn't running for governor.

I don't fault someone for using legal measures to limit their tax liability. Anyone with a brain does it. It's just evidence that the laws favor the ultra-rich and powerful in innumerable ways-- It's the laws that need to change. If that's important to you, than you need to look at who is likely to change the tax law in ways that are more equitable... And, unfortunately, I think neither of these clowns will.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:20 AM

It doesnt matter who is running fo governor-you alwayd say it is about the common good/social value. Apple is screwing the middle and poor of this country far for more than tom Foley and that ought to bother you.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:33 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
It doesnt matter who is running fo governor-you alwayd say it is about the common good/social value. Apple is screwing the middle and poor of this country far for more than tom Foley and that ought to bother you.
It does. It's not germane to the governor's race.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:33 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post
/snip

/snip
That's so great about America. We have the right to vote and talk about it.

Whatever methods Foley uses to pay avoid paying taxes has ZERO EFFECT on me. I use legal methods to limit my tax liability as well and I'm guess you do as well. I don't see what he does in his private finances is any of anyone business.

All that matters to me is at the end of the week when my paycheck comes; what am I paying in taxes and will it go up? Because honestly that's all I care about. I don't think, 'Tom Foley doesn't pay taxes.' I'm thinking 'Why did they take another $55 out of my check.' <---That is what is really hurting the middle class, not the few rich guys who don't pay taxes.

On the other hand, ask Malloy about his wife's job. He got her a $200k year job as Director of Art Museums (or something like that). That makes me more mad because once they are both done we will still paying their pensions and I'm guessing it won't be paid to an address in CT since they sold their house.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:46 AM

Do you buy apple products mlassoff? Why apply principles and values so disparately?

Old 10-14-2014, 07:56 AM

642 posts, read 859,111 times
Quote:

Do me a favor and also give up apple products while you are at it.
I don't use any Apple products and have not done so since the 1980's.

(sorry for going off topic with the above)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut