Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you use if service expanded?
Metro-North New Haven Line (New Haven to Grand Central) 3 16.67%
Shore Line East (Bridgeport to New London) 1 5.56%
New Haven - Springfield Line 5 27.78%
None. I'd still drive. 9 50.00%
None. I work from home. 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 07:49 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
Nope. I can use the Metro North now (with a connection) and it's still shorter for me to drive.
This. I used to take it pretty regularly, but the on time rate has decreased to where it is no longer worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 07:55 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,719,859 times
Sure I would use it. Maybe not necessarily for work, but I would certainly use it as a way to get to New York City or Boston. There's talk of getting an Amtrak stop in town where I live, in Elmwood, as part of the Springfield-New Haven rail project. If a station is created, I'm hoping it will be a chance to re-develop the area a little bit, the way other towns have done with their Metro North stops. I doubt it'll happen, but who knows.

Last edited by MikefromCT; 10-30-2014 at 08:05 AM..

Old 10-30-2014, 08:23 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,142,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
Nope. I can use the Metro North now (with a connection) and it's still shorter for me to drive.
I'll bet it's cheaper too...

Old 10-30-2014, 08:27 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,238,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I'll bet it's cheaper too...
I fill up on gas once a week. Literally, every Thursday evening, gas goes in my car. That's it.

I don't let my tank get completely empty, either, so I'm paying maybe 37 a tank? And that covers the things I do on weekends, as well.

So yes, definitely cheaper.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:12 PM

678 posts, read 846,704 times
I was thinking about what I had said earlier about Danbury ---> Hartford. It would be perfect to get past the I-84 gridlock in Waterbury. And honestly, I don't see another solution for people West of Waterbury trying to get Hartford County. I don't know how many towns would object to it, though. I feel like my town wouldn't enjoy it one bit, lol!

Yes, I'm aware of the costs of implementing a whole new railway system in CT. Then again, many of the others we're discussing aren't cheap. As we know, the New Haven to Springfield line is costing more than it should. x_x

Old 10-30-2014, 02:04 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
I was thinking about what I had said earlier about Danbury ---> Hartford. It would be perfect to get past the I-84 gridlock in Waterbury. And honestly, I don't see another solution for people West of Waterbury trying to get Hartford County. I don't know how many towns would object to it, though. I feel like my town wouldn't enjoy it one bit, lol!

Yes, I'm aware of the costs of implementing a whole new railway system in CT. Then again, many of the others we're discussing aren't cheap. As we know, the New Haven to Springfield line is costing more than it should. x_x
Why do you say that the New Haven-Hartford-Springfield project is costing more than it should? The state has to upgrade and add a second track along portions of the corridor, build stations and parking lots plus buy equipment. All of this is very expensive. The whole thing is costing about $500 million. Rail transit is very expensive even when you have a portion of the line already built. Jay

Old 10-31-2014, 11:33 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
Public transportation generally takes MUCH longer than driving, assuming no traffic. I tried the Metro North thing for a week and hated it. I live in Norwalk and work in Stamford. It took nearly 50 minutes from door to door. All the walking, waiting, stopping, and more walking, taxi rides, etc. just adds up big time. I also hate walking outside in work clothes in heat, humidity, or cold and rain. And wearing business shoes. Very uncomfortable way to commute IMO. Not to mention, sometimes I couldn't even get a seat on the damn train.

On the other hand, when I drive to work, it takes me maybe 25 min, which is fine. The traffic is a bit aggravating, but I'd rather deal with traffic and have the convenience of a car to do errands after work. And like I said, it's much quicker anyway, even in lower FFC.

My personal commute time limit one way to work is about 25 minutes, assuming no traffic. Things just add up and eat away at your day. I value time more than money, too.

With that said, I'm all for improving and expanding public transit. Hey, I mean, if I was truly able to make it from home to work in less than a half hour via public transit, I would possibly make the switch from driving.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:39 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Public transportation generally takes MUCH longer than driving, assuming no traffic. I tried the Metro North thing for a week and hated it. I live in Norwalk and work in Stamford. It took nearly 50 minutes from door to door. All the walking, waiting, stopping, and more walking, taxi rides, etc. just adds up big time. I also hate walking outside in work clothes in heat, humidity, or cold and rain. And wearing business shoes. Very uncomfortable way to commute IMO. Not to mention, sometimes I couldn't even get a seat on the damn train.

On the other hand, when I drive to work, it takes me maybe 25 min, which is fine. The traffic is a bit aggravating, but I'd rather deal with traffic and have the convenience of a car to do errands after work. And like I said, it's much quicker anyway, even in lower FFC.

My personal commute time limit one way to work is about 25 minutes, assuming no traffic. Things just add up and eat away at your day. I value time more than money, too.

With that said, I'm all for improving and expanding public transit. Hey, I mean, if I was truly able to make it from home to work in less than a half hour via public transit, I would possibly make the switch from driving.
Not a fair comparison, a norwalk to stamford commute is a walk in the park. Fairfield and beyond to Stamford - train wins the race every trip.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:02 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Not a fair comparison, a norwalk to stamford commute is a walk in the park. Fairfield and beyond to Stamford - train wins the race every trip.
Well, in my situation, driving wins every time over taking the train.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:21 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, in my situation, driving wins every time over taking the train.
Yeah I know, Norman. That's why I said its a walk in the park. I did E Nor to downtown Stmfd drive for 5years, piece of cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut