Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2015, 06:29 AM

2,200 posts, read 1,648,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
What is your opinion or impression of these cities and towns within New Haven County, in terms of desirability to live in? I ask, because if for some reason I get a job in NHC, these are the towns that offer affordable housing for me (no more than $250K). But I want to hear your opinions on them. I have been to all of these cities and towns and here are my general impressions, but I want to see if other people agree with or share my impressions. In general, I'm not crazy about NHC either, but it is a heck of a lot better than FFC, in my opinion.
  1. Waterbury - would absolutely never live there; looks very blighted in most areas; sketchy areas
  2. Meriden - rather ghetto and not impressive, although some outskirt neighborhoods are quite nice
  3. Wolcott - not sure why home prices are affordable here...seems like a decent town, but also meh
  4. Ansonia - very gritty, blue collar and I probably wouldn't fit in, but idk
  5. Derby - very gritty, blue collar and I probably wouldn't fit in, but idk
  6. Hamden - seems pretty decent, convenient and wide selection of neighborhoods
  7. New Haven - college town at the core, surrounded by severe ghetto, blight and high crime
  8. East Haven - seems pretty decent, albeit somewhat gritty
  9. West Haven - seems okay in some parts, but also seems troubled, blighted and gritty
  10. Naugatuck - seems VERY blue collar, gritty, horrible roads, crappy housing, etc.
Are my impressions shared by anyone else?
I agree with you on most of them, but I disagree that New Haven has high crime. There are 2 parts of New Haven that are high crime but other than that its ok. Newhaleville/Dixwell Area, and Fair Haven have high crime but otherwise most of it is safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 06:31 AM

Quote:
You've gotta be kidding me. Westchester is even more expensive than Fairfield. Taxes are higher overall (income, sales). And it's more claustrophobic than Fairfield. I'm launching my job search next week or so, and if I do apply to jobs in CT, it will be anywhere in CT other than Fairfield County.
Well Taxes are higher in westchester, but the actual housing income is more expensive in Fairfield. Depending on where in Westchester of course. Port Chester and Rye are really expensive, but White Plains area and Tarrytown aren't so much.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:03 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,625,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
I agree with you on most of them, but I disagree that New Haven has high crime. There are 2 parts of New Haven that are high crime but other than that its ok. Newhaleville/Dixwell Area, and Fair Haven have high crime but otherwise most of it is safe.
By that logic, Waterbury has no crime. Now I'm off to read another thread. Boy, do I know how to waste time.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:06 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Well Taxes are higher in westchester, but the actual housing income is more expensive in Fairfield. Depending on where in Westchester of course. Port Chester and Rye are really expensive, but White Plains area and Tarrytown aren't so much.
That's false.

Housing in Westchester is even more expensive than housing in Fairfield county.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:33 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
That's false.

Both counties have their uber expensive towns (Greenwich, Scarsdale) and both counties have their more affordable towns (Brookfield, Yorktown). Both counties also have their lower income cities (Bridgeport, Mt. Vernon).

When you factor in taxes, Westchester County is higher. I'd bet, overall, Westchester County is probably THE most expensive county in the country. If not, it's got to be close.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:41 AM

691 posts, read 1,150,763 times
Nep,

Best of luck with your job search, pal.

Remember: any job offer that does not include a cafeteria with Iron-Chef caliber culinary personnel, professional landscaping, and covered parking should be immediately dismissed.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:57 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
The cafeteria requirement is utter insanity, nep...

Old 04-12-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
That's false.

Ahh I thought you meant Fairfield the town itself. If you are talking about the two counties, yes overall Westchester is more expensive.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:43 PM

196 posts, read 213,148 times
Nep says he's second generation Italian?

If that is actually true, he should apply for an Italian passport (possible if grandparents were born in Italy), and just move to Italy.

I hear the Italian food is pretty good there.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:48 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Please return to the topic of the OP. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut