Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2015, 08:54 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,948,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, I drove through Fair Haven before. There are certainly areas in Stamford just like that, though admittedly not as expansive. For example, the area near Greenwich Ave and Richmond Hill looks horrible. Or many other spots in southern Stamford.
Fair Haven? Try driving through Newhallville or the Hill and get back to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 09:48 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,182,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Its more of no mans land between the train station / 95 and Harbor Point, especially on Canal where Fairway is. Its not "ghetto" or dangerous, but with the light foot traffic I could see people being hesitant to walk alone there.

The Stamford PD has a pretty strong presence downtown, but it seems like most of their focus is on traffic enforcement. I rarely seem out of their cruisers unless they're giving a motorist a ticket.
In all fairness to the PD, when you have nearly every square inch of road asphalt in Downtown covered by a vehicle, their hands are kind of full.
Working downtown for 4 years was great, always felt safe, walking around for lunch, happy hours, etc., but very happy not to work there anymore.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:30 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
In all fairness to the PD, when you have nearly every square inch of road asphalt in Downtown covered by a vehicle, their hands are kind of full.
Working downtown for 4 years was great, always felt safe, walking around for lunch, happy hours, etc., but very happy not to work there anymore.
Personally, I hate working in Stamford. It's a nightmare. The traffic is horrible and the drivers are antsy and rude. Lots of pedestrian traffic to watch out for, too. And there's not enough quality, healthy, affordable lunch places in the area near the train station. It's not even like a real city. It's just a business/corporate city. The culture is all about work. That's why they call it "the city that works."

Norwalk, on the other hand, is charming, diverse, New Englandy and feels more like a residential city. It has much better shopping choices. Landmark Square is stupid. And you have to pay for parking and deal with elevators at the Target in Stamford.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:29 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Fair Haven? Try driving through Newhallville or the Hill and get back to us.
I know they're dangerous, but even those areas don't "look" THAT bad. They're definitely much higher crime than Stamford, but they don't really appears any worse than Stamford's worst neighborhoods.

Bridgeport, to me, has much more blight, trash, etc.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:17 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,950,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I know they're dangerous, but even those areas don't "look" THAT bad. They're definitely much higher crime than Stamford, but they don't really appears any worse than Stamford's worst neighborhoods.

Hartford North End is like bridgeport and waterbury has it parts

Old 04-10-2015, 02:40 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times
The most blighted areas I have ever seen in CT are definitely in Bridgeport. The north end of Hartford comes close though.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:14 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:

You don't think burnt out buildings, abandoned homes with squatters inside, dilapidated public housing projects with bars on the windows and streets strewn with garbage doesn't look "that bad"? If it weren't known for violent daytime crime, I would suggest you take another ride through. There is *nothing* in Stamford that looks remotely like the highest crime sections of New Haven.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:25 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
I drove through The Hill and the Whalley Ave area yesterday and it wasn't that bad at all. Yeah, there's some blighted homes, but it doesn't look like a warzone.

I've driven through a lot of the bad neighborhoods in New Haven. Dixwell is the only one that looks really blighted IMO, and parts of Fair Haven.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:31 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
I drove through The Hill and the Whalley Ave area yesterday and it wasn't that bad at all. Yeah, there's some blighted homes, but it doesn't look like a warzone.

I've driven through a lot of the bad neighborhoods in New Haven. Dixwell is the only one that looks really blighted IMO, and parts of Fair Haven.
There is nothing in Stamford that looks like Fair Haven (especially east of Ferry). If there is, I'm curious to know where.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:44 PM

287 posts, read 623,888 times
Nep, have you ever considered Westchester? Scarsdale and Rye are beautiful towns and it's not Fairfield County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut