Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2016, 05:37 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

It's not the amount of snow that is interesting, its the entire atmospheric setup and the blend of all the results with it. But I bet many in this forum will get caught off guard with it.

See the dig south? See the spin? See the burst of snow? That's Round 1 tomorrow morning

Old 04-02-2016, 06:10 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Cam: Very cool systems/setup in the works.

That said, I am worried about the High Wind Warning. If I recall, that was the only warning we had in place for Sandy in SW CT. Although we have a generator, we have a ton of trees many of which are close enough to the house to make for restless windy nights (or putting the kids in the guest bedroom in the basement). Are there any maps out there estimating power losses for the area or maximum wind gusts? My wife is also telling me we had a similar warning this past Monday (I recall an advisory). Monday/Tuesday wasn't that bad in terms of power outages/down trees so that is reassuring provided we had a warning as opposed to an advisory.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:32 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I always found it strange (and a reflection of their usual problem for some reason with recording snow accumulation) that Central Park only claimed a trace when everyone around them claimed some sort of accumulation (as reflected on the map). I had found it interesting that accumulations from that storm ramped up quickly as you got north and northeast of the City from CT towards Boston, which of course was the "jackpot" of that historic storm.

Quote:
It's not the amount of snow that is interesting, its the entire atmospheric setup and the blend of all the results with it. But I bet many in this forum will get caught off guard with it.

See the dig south? See the spin? See the burst of snow? That's Round 1 tomorrow morning

Lonnie Quinn on Channel 2 News at 11 shows (using their graphic scheme) that exact map last night....

Old 04-02-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Cam: Very cool systems/setup in the works.

That said, I am worried about the High Wind Warning. If I recall, that was the only warning we had in place for Sandy in SW CT. Although we have a generator, we have a ton of trees many of which are close enough to the house to make for restless windy nights (or putting the kids in the guest bedroom in the basement). Are there any maps out there estimating power losses for the area or maximum wind gusts? My wife is also telling me we had a similar warning this past Monday (I recall an advisory). Monday/Tuesday wasn't that bad in terms of power outages/down trees so that is reassuring provided we had a warning as opposed to an advisory.

Yeah, that was an advisory that was never upgraded to a Warning. I not 100% sure about the rest of the state but if there's a warning I am pretty good at posting it for us. Interesting note about Sandy being the last time.

Here's a screenshot of the recent text alerts I got showing it was only an Advisory last time but that doesn't mean it was right. Maybe it should of been a warning. I forget what the criteria is though.

Estimated power losses? How would that be done?

Here's the max wind forecast. Save the link. Save this link too with more maps.

Also note... the gusts will come in spurts and not for every single backyard. Your yard might hit 40mph only but down the road hits 55mph. But when the gust happens you'll be like whoa, that was strong.

Looks like its happening. From 5 days out..

Quote:
Looks like we could get another wind event on Sunday. Tricky yet very interesting things going on Sunday and Monday. Arctic Cold. High Winds. Snow? It's gonna feel like winter, watch.

Euro12z Wind Gusts Sunday. This is in knots. So figure 45-55mph its says for CT

Old 04-02-2016, 11:22 AM

Current Map.

40s with Rain. Non stop drizzle & rain today.

0.22" Yesterday
0.19" so far today

Flow is from the Southwest as Orange lines show

Snowing with a NW flow and Blizzard conditions parts of IL, WI, and MI. It's coming.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:39 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Maybe it should of been a warning. I forget what the criteria is though.
No I think what he was saying was that the only warning given for Sandy was a High Wind Warning, not a Tropical Storm or Hurricane warning. It was very controversial and NWS said that in the future they would give it one of those warnings in the future (Hurricane or Tropical Storm) even if they view the storm as extratropical.

We've had plenty of High Wind Warnings since then.....

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 04-02-2016 at 11:51 AM..

Old 04-02-2016, 11:49 AM

2,941 posts, read 1,785,035 times
so where's this storm?? so far all this thing has done is made it a very gloomy day!

Old 04-02-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
No I think what he was saying was that the only warning given for Sandy was a High Wind Warning, not a Tropical Storm or Hurricane warning. It was very controversial and NWS said that in the future they would give it one of those warnings in the future (Hurricane or Tropical Storm) even if they view the storm as extratropical.

We've had plenty of High Wind Warnings since then.....
My last high wind warning here was Sandy. I've had 5-10 advisories and one high wind watch. No warnings. Those three words "high wind warning" scare me, hence my post.

Old 04-02-2016, 12:36 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
My last high wind warning here was Sandy. I've had 5-10 advisories and one high wind watch. No warnings. Those three words "high wind warning" scare me, hence my post.
I remember during Sandy, we had a "Hurricane Force Wind Warning".... I don't remember High Wind Warning...

Old 04-02-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
I remember during Sandy, we had a "Hurricane Force Wind Warning".... I don't remember High Wind Warning...
Only a high wind warning here in Northern FFC for Sandy. Just pulled the logs. We have had a few wind warnings before storms since Sandy but they were always downgraded before they commenced. This is the first to stick since 2012
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut