Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 01:49 PM

769 posts, read 829,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Um, no.
I've never heard that term either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 01:52 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
There goes Raider with his hyperbole.
You posted it before I could. +1.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:26 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You posted it before I could. +1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
There goes Raider with his hyperbole.
Instead of worrying about my hyperbole and your corny +1s, why not give the OP your two cents

Old 11-16-2015, 03:08 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Please stop the bickering and return to the topic of the OP. JayCT, Moderator

Old 11-16-2015, 06:03 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times
I personally have never witnessed anything out of the ordinary in downtown Darien, but I also don't live in the town. Even though I'm there quite often, visiting may not be the same as living there.

In anycase, a few relatively recent articles I found on Darien.

Housing Lawsuit Alleges Bias

Morgan Stanley Executive Charged in Hate Crime Stabbing

The following one is only a few days old.

YW Pledge Against Racism to Take Place in Darien and Norwalk

Actually, now I do remember two ackward moments in Darien. One took place about a year or two ago. This one I think could be benign. It took place in downtown Darien. A woman and her young daughter were walking along the sidewalk and a black guy was walking in their direction. I noticed the girl started to make nervous sounds, but her mother calmed her by saying its ok. This could be due to a sheltered upbringing. I don't think its prudent to see beyond that.

The second situation took place this past summer at Dutchess. It surprised me because that restaurant is on the border with Norwalk and they do have some minorities among their staff. A young black guy walked in and a young guy in line looked at him and rolled his eyes and said 'oh man' with a clear body language of disapproval. The guy patiently waited for his turn to order his food, but it seemed to me that they made him wait a little. Eventually one of the employees asked him if he has been serviced, even though she was there the whole time and knew no one asked for his order.

Other than that, I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary, at least the times I have been in some of the restaurants and stores. I don't remember ever witnessing anything funny with Asian-looking people. There is a Chinese (or maybe its Japanese?) restaurant on Tokenek Road near the train station in downtown. Maybe talking to them could give you an idea, to a certain extent, if Asian-looking people are often treated differently.

Last edited by AntonioR; 11-16-2015 at 06:21 PM..

Old 11-16-2015, 06:19 PM

3 posts, read 13,256 times
thanks for the feedback. honestly being an minority has never crossed my mind before. not an issue from school or work (in Manhattan), but I've never lived in the burbs before also. Until I was attracted to a house in Darien I never did any research into it, and the first thing popped up from search result was Gentleman's Agreement.

I really like Darien for its location, beaches (better house for the money than Greenwich IMO, and not much farther). I don't think this day and age people would be openly judgmental towards race, but what I mean is would one get that under the surface feeling. Do residents really actively want to keep it an all white town?

The usually wealthy town snobbishness is not what I'm asking for, it's kind of a given for the kind of suburbs that we are looking at. but In particular is Darien more unwelcoming for minorities vs. Greenwich, New Cannan, Rye, etc.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:06 AM

786 posts, read 823,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
thanks for the feedback. honestly being an minority has never crossed my mind before. not an issue from school or work (in Manhattan), but I've never lived in the burbs before also. Until I was attracted to a house in Darien I never did any research into it, and the first thing popped up from search result was Gentleman's Agreement.

I really like Darien for its location, beaches (better house for the money than Greenwich IMO, and not much farther). I don't think this day and age people would be openly judgmental towards race, but what I mean is would one get that under the surface feeling. Do residents really actively want to keep it an all white town?

The usually wealthy town snobbishness is not what I'm asking for, it's kind of a given for the kind of suburbs that we are looking at. but In particular is Darien more unwelcoming for minorities vs. Greenwich, New Cannan, Rye, etc.
Why not look in Westport?

Old 11-17-2015, 07:24 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
Why not look in Westport?
Because people in this country people can live in any town they damn well please, and can afford.

I'm sorry, but this is ancient history. There may be racists/homophobes/xenophobes/misogynists in Darien, but they're also in Westport, Bridgeport, etc. Any organized conspiracy to keep Jews, Asians or Blacks who can afford to live in a town out of that town ended decades ago.

Darien has a history-- but the current reality of living there is far from that history. Surprise-- There are Jews in Darien now.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I personally have never witnessed anything out of the ordinary in downtown Darien, but I also don't live in the town. Even though I'm there quite often, visiting may not be the same as living there.

In anycase, a few relatively recent articles I found on Darien.

Housing Lawsuit Alleges Bias

Morgan Stanley Executive Charged in Hate Crime Stabbing

The following one is only a few days old.

YW Pledge Against Racism to Take Place in Darien and Norwalk

Actually, now I do remember two ackward moments in Darien. One took place about a year or two ago. This one I think could be benign. It took place in downtown Darien. A woman and her young daughter were walking along the sidewalk and a black guy was walking in their direction. I noticed the girl started to make nervous sounds, but her mother calmed her by saying its ok. This could be due to a sheltered upbringing. I don't think its prudent to see beyond that.

The second situation took place this past summer at Dutchess. It surprised me because that restaurant is on the border with Norwalk and they do have some minorities among their staff. A young black guy walked in and a young guy in line looked at him and rolled his eyes and said 'oh man' with a clear body language of disapproval. The guy patiently waited for his turn to order his food, but it seemed to me that they made him wait a little. Eventually one of the employees asked him if he has been serviced, even though she was there the whole time and knew no one asked for his order.

Other than that, I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary, at least the times I have been in some of the restaurants and stores. I don't remember ever witnessing anything funny with Asian-looking people. There is a Chinese (or maybe its Japanese?) restaurant on Tokenek Road near the train station in downtown. Maybe talking to them could give you an idea, to a certain extent, if Asian-looking people are often treated differently.
I think your evaluation of the first situation is correct. Not sure what to make of the second one. I wonder if the guy that came in was a regular with a history there. That could explain the reaction if there have been problems in the past. Neither situation is particularly alarming IMHO but then again I was not there. Jay

Old 11-17-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbma View Post

Residents do not "actively" keep Darien all white. I think it is more just related to natural migration of people to where there are friends or people of similar backgrounds than a conscience effort to keep out minorities. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut