Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 10:39 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,956,053 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have accepted the offer for the job in Middletown, after negotiating a bit. I have been able to negotiate the offer from $68K to $70K, and after complaining about the lack of sick days and holidays, they decided to increase my vacation days from 10 days to 15 days.

I am still disappointed that there's no bonus incentive and no 401k match, but I think I will be able to work around that somehow. The company seems to be a good place to work, with a young, progressive culture in a rapidly growing small company. And it is a career promotion for me (staff to senior level). So finally, I got "promoted!"

But look....as much as I would have preferred for a better offer, I just had to come to terms with reality. The fact of the matter is that I have been looking for a job for about 4 months now and this is the one and only offer that came my way, and it's located in central CT, which is where I want to optimally be. God knows if another 4 months would have gone by until my next offer. And I only have 7 weeks left of unemployment. The situation would become very dire, and I cannot let that happen and start depleting $3,000 a month of my savings. It's just too much of a risk to take, and I have a feeling it would not play out well.

So, I'm just going to have to look at the positives of this job offer: (1) it's a career promotion from staff to senior level, (2) it's located in my preferred area, (3) I will get 3 weeks of paid vacation from the start, and (4) the salary is reasonable and fair.

Also, no longer will I have to "waste" my precious vacation days on visiting family in CT and spending thousands of dollars and having to sleep over their house, etc.

What do you think?

Old 03-09-2016, 10:45 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,037 times
Pretty much everyone here told you all the things you concluded - i.e., take the offer, it's fair for your experience, the promotion is more important for your career, it's your chance to move to CT, and you need a freakin' job. I'm just surprised you actually took the advice given you argued with everyone when they expressed these opinions. But hey, whatever, good luck and Godspeed.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:51 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,723 times
I think it'll last 6 months and you'll be gone.

Takers for under over?

Old 03-09-2016, 11:00 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
I think you'll be back a few months from now, in your waaahmbulance, asking us what we think about you leaving.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:16 AM

3,162 posts, read 2,215,339 times
I think you have made the right decision and hope it all works out well in Middletown. This part of Connecticut should suit you much better than Fairfield County. :-) Glad to hear the negotiations resulted in a slightly better offer.

My unsolicited suggestion is to learn from what didn't go so well in your past experiences and see what you can handle better going forward. Inevitably at work there are people we don't care for or rules we don't agree with - even in what are generally great working environments.

Good luck and hope we will be hearing POSITIVE updates from you in the future!

Old 03-09-2016, 11:22 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,166,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I think you'll be back a few months from now, in your waaahmbulance, asking us what we think about you leaving.
Ya think? lol

I still can't understand why he is asking people here what he should do ...is that bizarre or is it me?

Edit: That said I am impressed you got the extra vacation time. I think that was good negotiating on your part. A gamble but I guess it paid off.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:38 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,956,053 times
I will definitely miss living in Columbus and Ohio in general. It really grew on me and I like it here. It's just an easy going, comfortable place to live with good, affordable housing, among other things. But I could not even get a damn job offer here, even after having three interviews.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:48 AM
V&L

112 posts, read 150,044 times
I think you should be proud of yourself for accepting the reality of your situation instead of wishing for the Moon, and I wish you all the best with your new job! Congrats on bargaining for some better extras as well, if seems you are finally happy with the result . Good job, and good luck!

Old 03-09-2016, 02:27 PM

34,943 posts, read 56,970,098 times
I am glad to see you took it. It may not be perfect but as you have learned the hard way, nothing is. Now make the most of it. Work hard, put in extra effort and make a name for yourself. No more appointments during working hours unless your boss says it is okay. If you take an hour off, make it up with 2 hours of work. Be to work EARLY and stay late, at least for the first 6 months. Show them you care about work and you will be rewarded. Put in a couple of years there and THEN consider finding a better job. Congratulations and best wishes. Jay

Old 03-09-2016, 02:40 PM

4,457 posts, read 3,353,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post

Good luck and hope we will be hearing POSITIVE updates from you in the future!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut