Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2018, 06:18 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Yeah, exactly. That’s how the DC suburbs are. When compared nationally, they almost always rank near the top for affluence, but they don’t have nearly the amount of wealth seen in places like CT and Westchester. It’s pretty uniformly upper middle class.
Thanks and I agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 06:20 PM

712 posts, read 530,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashowofhands View Post
I'd say that counts in this context.

$200k won't get you very far in NYC or lower Westchester, but it's more than enough for a comfortable family life if you live 2+ hours out.
A person making 200k will have no problem finding a good suburb just outside of manhattan. No private school to pay for remember. They don't have to live 2 hours out. Plenty of places in westchester county that you could live in a modest house. Just forget certain areas of extreme wealth like armonk/scarsdale. The median home price is around 600k in katonah for example. Yorktown heights is about 450k median. You can find places for less. No problem at 200k salary. You don't NEED to live 2 hours out. Also, median income in nyc is around 55k. LOL There's also NJ and LI to choose from

Old 07-10-2018, 06:35 PM

180 posts, read 214,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Ashowofhands - honest question: is Holmes in Putnam or Dutchess? Or does it straddle both? I’ve heard sometimes that it’s a hamlet in Patterson (Putnam Co.) and other times that it’s a hamlet in Pawling (Dutchess)? Thanks

You know how the town/hamlet/village lines get in my part of New York, sometimes it really is hard to tell...

I believe it is nominally considered a hamlet within town of Pawling. My part of town (by Whaley Lake) is absolutely, 100% Pawling, but on the west side of town out toward Rt. 52 there are a lot of Holmes addresses that answer to East Fishkill instead. Which is still Dutchess, but I don't want to say that the hamlet is 100% in Dutchess county, because there's also a neighborhood right by Exit 17 off I-84 (Ludingtonville Road area) that is contained within Town of Kent.

But, it's pretty safe to say Dutchess County, Town of Pawling, most people wouldn't argue with that. We border Patterson but I don't know of any Holmes addresses that are actually in Patterson.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
You know how the town/hamlet/village lines get in my part of New York, sometimes it really is hard to tell...

I believe it is nominally considered a hamlet within town of Pawling. My part of town (by Whaley Lake) is absolutely, 100% Pawling, but on the west side of town out toward Rt. 52 there are a lot of Holmes addresses that answer to East Fishkill instead. Which is still Dutchess, but I don't want to say that the hamlet is 100% in Dutchess county, because there's also a neighborhood right by Exit 17 off I-84 (Ludingtonville Road area) that is contained within Town of Kent.

But, it's pretty safe to say Dutchess County, Town of Pawling, most people wouldn't argue with that. We border Patterson but I don't know of any Holmes addresses that are actually in Patterson.
Thank you for the very informative response!

Old 07-10-2018, 06:47 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
A person making 200k will have no problem finding a good suburb just outside of manhattan. No private school to pay for remember. They don't have to live 2 hours out. Plenty of places in westchester county that you could live in a modest house. Just forget certain areas of extreme wealth like armonk/scarsdale. The median home price is around 600k in katonah for example. Yorktown heights is about 450k median. You can find places for less. No problem at 200k salary. You don't NEED to live 2 hours out. Also, median income in nyc is around 55k. LOL There's also NJ and LI to choose from
200k doesn't go that far in even mid Westchester unless it is a single income. The market is crazy competitive at the lower end and the tax bills are nauseating... add in a $2k/month daycare bill and things get tight very quickly.

The vast majority of families I know are probably making 150-200K and living in towns like Southbury, Oxford, New Milford, and Bethel because they are straight up priced out of having kids any closer to NYC.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:57 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
200k doesn't go that far in even mid Westchester unless it is a single income. The market is crazy competitive at the lower end and the tax bills are nauseating... add in a $2k/month daycare bill and things get tight very quickly.

The vast majority of families I know are probably making 150-200K and living in towns like Southbury, Oxford, New Milford, and Bethel because they are straight up priced out of having kids any closer to NYC.
This.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:

yes

Old 07-10-2018, 07:01 PM

21,760 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
I'd say that counts in this context.

$200k won't get you very far in NYC or lower Westchester, but it's more than enough for a comfortable family life if you live 2+ hours out.
Exactly my point. Real estate costs are insane in the NYC area.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:33 PM

712 posts, read 530,715 times
Quote:

That's just Nuts. Something really needs to be done about outrageous cost of housing. Having people try to commute 2 hours is ridiculous. No wonder we have so much congestion in fairfield county.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:37 AM

570 posts, read 477,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
That's just Nuts. Something really needs to be done about outrageous cost of housing. Having people try to commute 2 hours is ridiculous. No wonder we have so much congestion in fairfield county.
The problem is coming to a head. This job market 'on fire' pumping by media is just not true unless you are a dishwasher or truck driver. Go try and find a white collar job in NYC for $150k + if you are not in front office trading or tech developer (ie 90% of workers) Salaries are heading south as banks and other financial firms physically head south. Middle office, back office, operations , compliance, and investment projects (PM and PMOs) are toast in NY. They are moving to India en masse.

Last edited by CT_Yank; 07-11-2018 at 07:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut