Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2020, 08:37 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Do agree we need an emergency UBI till September, do away with FICA taxes, and stop collecting business taxes on small businesses of 50 or less. Continue to offer emergency loans up to $20K for small businesses till the end of the year. For those affected financially by the crisis be eligible to have deferment of rent and mortgages for up to 3 months. Federal Government pays 100% of individuals work salary for those making $50K or less for 2 weeks if out due to COVID-19.

Utilize factories closed to make medical supplies, equipment, and various pharmaceuticals to fight against COVID-19.

Expand funds to researchers to work on finding ways to fight COVID-19 and also work globally to find a solution to COVID-19.

50% loan repayment for all essential workers.

Expand or do away with income limits for individuals to be eligible to enroll in Medicaid. Cover any gaps with insurance for those on Medicaid.

Allow States and large Cities to make decisions regarding what type of quarantine and restrictions to be put in place. Allow States to call upon and utilize the National Guard.

Enact a 2 week quarantine allowing only medical, first responders, and truck drivers to work 24/7. Other essential businesses only open every other day and for 10 hours at most.
As a business person I'm not sure you realize how slowly the wheels turn in Govt. Not just Federal but State and Local.

Example the State of CT offered what was initially a 25 million fund that was basically a copy of the Payroll Protection Program.
Ran out of money in a day and a half. No surprise.....
Then without telling everyone who was accepted completely changed the rules of the loan without notifying anyone they accepted! Some of these unfortunate biz owners may have not applied for the PPP thinking the state is covering them.

All it would have taken is an email to inform them of the change, so they could apply for the Feds loan. Which in itself is a disaster.
I'm just getting warmed up. These bills are all a patchwork of copy and paste that have so many mistakes. The private sector finds them out in days and the govt takes forever to address them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 08:49 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
As a business person I'm not sure you realize how slowly the wheels turn in Govt. Not just Federal but State and Local.

Example the State of CT offered what was initially a 25 million fund that was basically a copy of the Payroll Protection Program.
Ran out of money in a day and a half. No surprise.....
Then without telling everyone who was accepted completely changed the rules of the loan without notifying anyone they accepted! Some of these unfortunate biz owners may have not applied for the PPP thinking the state is covering them.

All it would have taken is an email to inform them of the change, so they could apply for the Feds loan. Which in itself is a disaster.
I'm just getting warmed up. These bills are all a patchwork of copy and paste that have so many mistakes. The private sector finds them out in days and the govt takes forever to address them.
Truth

Off topic it's why if the State had a State Bank would of possibly made this a lot more easier

Old 04-06-2020, 09:37 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Herd immunity and warm weather will stomp this out by summer. The R0 is said to be 3+ now.

By fall, we’ll understand enough about it through antibody studies and realize it’s not as grave a threat as we thought. There will be some good treatments in place and we’ll be fine.

The vaccine won’t make anyone rich.

You don’t have to agree with me. Maybe you’re right! I have enough data to make a logical personal assessment without panic. It’s my belief and certainly not gospel. Just check back in at 3 months.
Warm weather isn't going to stop it. The fact that Latin America, Central and South Africa and Australia are dealing with it tells us it isn't seasonal. Herd immunity and a vaccine are the only long term solutions.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:47 AM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Warm weather isn't going to stop it. The fact that Latin America, Central and South Africa and Australia are dealing with it tells us it isn't seasonal. Herd immunity and a vaccine are the only long term solutions.
It could slow it. Those areas are in their fall season and spread appears slower than here. Look at the much lower fatalities in those countries.

Last edited by Stylo; 04-06-2020 at 09:58 AM..

Old 04-06-2020, 10:03 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,903 times
Quote:
It could slow it. Those areas are in their fall season and spread appears slower than here. Look at the much lower fatalities in those countries.
Agreed, but part of the reason is people are spending more time outside in the sun with fresh air.
If people are stuck in the house, what would change?

Old 04-06-2020, 10:22 AM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

Wont stop it but it will slow it. And if we're already slowing down the warmer weather will further help

Quote:

Using my garden as an example.. One reason I have to keep a fan on my seedlings is to make them stronger. Not only does it strengthen the roots but it helps from bacteria growing. A reason I sleep with a circulating fan on 24/7 EVEN when the Polar Vortex is over us. I feel like it keeps us healthier. So airflow is 1 key. The other is humidity. Drier air is healthier IMO but not desert dry. Not very humid either.. I would think viruses would thrive in more humidity but I'm not sure.

I did read viruses are more active & contagious with temps under 70F, I have to find that again.

Quote:
Agreed, but part of the reason is people are spending more time outside in the sun with fresh air.

That's the point... warmer weather will allow people to spend more time outside rather than when its cold being stuck inside. Stay at home doesn't mean Stay inside. Just keep the distance from others.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:41 AM

6,901 posts, read 3,742,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Native View Post
What you reiterate, and what Stylo quotes, is correct. Strand refers to the whole polynucleotide (i.e. the genome). The large, large majority of the time, mutations do not correspond to new "strains" of virus, and the vast majority of those mutations are either inconsequential or detrimental to protein (and, therefore, viral) function. It's like using a few different Lego pieces to build a 1,000-piece tower. Use a different piece (or remove/add some) and the tower will probably still stand, but it may also come crashing down or become reinforced. What the Icelandic scientists are doing is essentially comparing the genomes of 2019-nCoV virions to those in other parts of the world in order to use the inevitable inconsequential mutation to trace the origin of infection. There are already dozens of different genomes for 2019-nCoV, but they are largely classified as one or two strains because they express an extremely conserved combination of surface proteins. In terms of our immune system's defensive measures, the surface protein structure/combination is really all that matters.

In order to have a new viral strain, imagine requiring, within the entire genome, a specific RNA gene (which encodes for a specific protein) swapping/deleting/adding nucleotide bases in a seemingly randomized fashion which changes the shape (isoform) of the protein, or the entire presence/absence of a protein, in a way that still allows the virus to remain viable for locating proteins on the surface of target host cells. This is super common with cold and flu viruses, but not with others, which appears to include coronavirus. Some context:

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-o...-viruses-67088
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Native View Post
What's special about coronaviruses? They contain a significant proofreading capability (3′ exonuclease domain) that's not common in RNA viral genomes, as well as their unusually large genome size, as you said (larger RNA genome sizes generally have smaller mutation rates, but it's unclear why exactly this is the case; the placement of a mutation within the genome is still just as critical in a short genome as it is in a large one).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5075021/

For context, SARS-CoV (2003) has as a mutation rate of 9*10^(-7) s/n/c.

https://journals.plos.org/plospathog...l.ppat.1000896
Your studies and research up at Uconn are impressive (I don't believe you're copying and pasting) but most folks here don't know what the hell your talking about, me included. Maybe in the future dumb it down into plain english.

Great wotk otherwise, keep it up.

Old 04-06-2020, 11:50 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Scenario #4: Continue stay at home order until June 1st. Have a 2nd stimulus to support american people and businesses. Restart engines in Summer. Get back to "normal" next Spring but not with a fully employed U.S anymore.

We were running on all cylinders doing 90 mph and slammed on the brakes to hit a speed bump. Its gonna be hard to get back to 90mph right away. There will be more caution and continued fear in minds but the American engine will be started and the gas will be pressed. People will shop, economy will rebound but not this year IMO.

I'd go with Scenario #5: Limited restart. Everybody wears a mask indoors in public. If you're about to roll your window down at the drive-thru, you put on your mask. Huge fine if you don't. Keep limiting gathering sizes. The issue is infected people infecting others. If you limit that, R0 drops to the point where you don't have continued large outbreaks.

So if you're a restaurant or a bar, you're largely shut down since you can't eat or drink wearing a mask. Pro sports teams can issue team logo masks you have to wear. Most everyone can go back to work but with distancing work rules. If everyone has a mask, 3 feet shouldn't be an issue.

Old 04-06-2020, 11:59 AM

833 posts, read 500,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'd go with Scenario #5: Limited restart. Everybody wears a mask indoors in public. If you're about to roll your window down at the drive-thru, you put on your mask. Huge fine if you don't.
Good luck enforcing that

Old 04-06-2020, 12:09 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
There’s research around it being harder to transmit in warm, humid climates. It’s the same for almost every airborne virus so not sure why Covid-19 would be unique.

In the house we are only with the people we know, so that’s ok.

https://cmmid.github.io/topics/covid...f-climate.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut