Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2020, 04:33 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
I believe the body absorbs much more Vitamin D from the sun than from a supplement. In fact I think we might absorb more from foods with Vitamin D than from a supplement. Problem is food options are limited. Salmon, tuna, sardines, mushrooms, eggs, fortified dairy......

Of course how much you absorb from the sun is related to your skin complexion. I think the paler you are, the more you absorb. I have nothing to worry about.
From what I've read, 4000 IU per day is the usual upper limit. If you are very deficient, more than that is okay for a little while. We don't get enough from the sun here in winter and people with dark skin and older people don't absorb it very well at all. Probably about 1/2 of people are deficient in vitamin D. Take it with food because it's fat soluble and is absorbed better in combination with a fatty food. Kids used to usually take cod liver oil to get their vitamin D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2020, 10:32 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Not sure I buy it, but this Israeli study thinks about 12% is all that is needed for "herd immunity" (says it happens with 1.16 million getting it in and though it doesn't say it about 9 million people live there so I did the math)

https://www.israel21c.org/data-scien...-may-end-soon/

Old 09-06-2020, 11:33 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Not sure I buy it, but this Israeli study thinks about 12% is all that is needed for "herd immunity" (says it happens with 1.16 million getting it in and though it doesn't say it about 9 million people live there so I did the math)

https://www.israel21c.org/data-scien...-may-end-soon/
It does seem to partially depend on population density. NY started declining sharply at around the time this site estimates around 12% infected as a peak, so who knows.

https://covid19-projections.com/us-ny

Old 09-07-2020, 05:06 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times
https://www.courant.com/sports/high-...o5i-story.html

Another example of not looking at the actual data and making decisions based on what "may" happen. I don't see why they couldn't have them start the season in October, subject to the numbers staying low, as opposed to cancelling the season all together at this point. Not to mention that this whole issue has been handled terribly by the CIAC and DPH, with them issuing contradictory guidance and constantly flip flopping and changing their minds.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:20 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,818,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
https://www.courant.com/sports/high-...o5i-story.html

Another example of not looking at the actual data and making decisions based on what "may" happen. I don't see why they couldn't have them start the season in October, subject to the numbers staying low, as opposed to cancelling the season all together at this point. Not to mention that this whole issue has been handled terribly by the CIAC and DPH, with them issuing contradictory guidance and constantly flip flopping and changing their minds.
Well yes given that CT is known for the insurance industry which is always based on what "may" happen it makes sense.The numbers being low are one thing but you have to consider what activity causes more of a spread. Anything that involves an activity that can having mouths open pretty much can spread. People talk at bars so the bars are closed, chorus groups are closed, dining is mostly outdoors etc. You obviously can't social distance a scrimmage line in football. then add in the yelling, tackling etc It's not like they are going to play it higher ed at this point and I'm starting to doubt the NFL will have much of a season.

I'm all for sports but frankly much of the gym can simply be tickets to a gym. I'd have no issue with giving out free free weights, pull up bars, yoga mats etc.

Old 09-09-2020, 12:29 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,207,659 times
Thoughts on back to school cases going on? I guess we will see how it all plays out but I am reading 51,000 college cases.......Just read a 12th grader in Naugatuck was at school and tested positive. When I started this thread in January, I knew we were going to have an outbreak here.....I didn't think it would get as out of control as it did......but I knew. I am also thinking that some areas are going to have some issues with school and spreading the virus again. I feel NYC will be a problem again.....too dense.....subways....buses.....
My Yale sister leaves for Arizona in 2 weeks for a new life so my Yale info will be dried up but she did tell me that Yale is gearing up and preparing for another surge possibly in November. I believe they are basing that on schools POSSIBLY causing outbreaks. I hope no one thinks we are done with the virus. Definitely not.
Thoughts?

Old 09-09-2020, 02:15 PM

I also am willing to bet a vaccine,if it even works,won't be available until 2021.......for the general public maybe spring of 2021. I feel the virus will be going right through late 2021.

Last edited by JayCT; 09-10-2020 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: Removed response to deleted post

Old 09-09-2020, 02:18 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
I also am willing to bet a vaccine,if it even works,won't be available until 2021.......for the general public maybe spring of 2021. I feel the virus will be going right through late 2021.
It's on a rapid decline right now. Cases are meaningless. They're testing a ton of young healthy people now that school's back, and there's a lot of hoopla now about oversensitive PCR tests. Hospitalizations are on track to hit a low not seen since the beginning of this.

Last edited by JayCT; 09-10-2020 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: Removed response to deleted post

Old 09-09-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
It's on a rapid decline right now. Cases are meaningless. They're testing a ton of young healthy people now that school's back, and there's a lot of hoopla now about oversensitive PCR tests. Hospitalizations are on track to hit a low not seen since the beginning of this.
For now. I am concerned about the Fall/Winter. Flu mixed with Covid cases could be interesting too. I think we should wait and see and revisit in a few months. It is possible the flu wont spread as much this year with mask wearing and all that. I am sill getting a flu shot in a few weeks, I do not want to go through last December/January again. I'd probably get a covid vaccine when available as long as it all checks out.

Old 09-09-2020, 04:44 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I think school is going to be a disaster and college is already becoming a disaster. I know kids need school but it just seems that for this one year, we could forget about school. What to do with the kids, I wish I knew, but school isn't going to work out.

Cases are popping up in high schools and lots of cases at colleges because the college kids won't follow rules. Seems that there are more cases at community colleges where the students commute. They are probably catching it out in the community.

Just got off the phone with some relatives. He's been running a 103 temperature and was exhausted and sort of out of his mind. Wife took him to UConn Health and they said he had COVID. Tests won't be back for three days though. The wife tested negative but she had felt exhausted too and slept and slept, coughed, her lungs hurt. Wondering how accurate the tests are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut