Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2021, 12:53 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
A Broadway show could also just require vaccination proof. I’d rather show my card than sit with a mask for hours.

I'm all for that. But too many people fighting it. Like I said (and probably in agreement with you) the way out of all these bandaids like masks and distancing is vaccine mandates. Exceptions can be made for the few who truly truly can't get the shot.

When our country gets its head out of its a** (to be fair there's a lot of this going on in the UK, Japan and France too) and stops with medieval attitudes toward science we can be out of this quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2021, 01:30 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I'm all for that. But too many people fighting it. Like I said (and probably in agreement with you) the way out of all these bandaids like masks and distancing is vaccine mandates. Exceptions can be made for the few who truly truly can't get the shot.

When our country gets its head out of its a** (to be fair there's a lot of this going on in the UK, Japan and France too) and stops with medieval attitudes toward science we can be out of this quick.
I’d push back on saying “our country”. The US is actually coming out way ahead of most western nations when it comes to vaccination rates. Wealthy western nations like Australia, New Zealand and South Africa have staggeringly low vaccination rates (only 28% of Australians and 10% of South Africans).

In the US, the media loves to jump on Florida for political purposes, but truth be told, it’s only a few notches under CT in terms of “at least one dose” percentages, with FL being at 71% and CT being at 80%. In terms of persons over 65, Florida and CT have 99.9% vaccinated with New York being at only 93% (we all know how Cuomo felt about the state’s elderly, though, so that should come as zero surprise).

Old 09-03-2021, 08:31 PM

6,918 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I actually (and hope I made that clear in my response to kidyankee above) agree with this more than you think. The reason this is not over is too many people are taking a medieval attitude towards the vaccines. If we simply can get this down to the numbers and severity of the flu or better we can deal with it and move on. Yeah, maybe over the next year this does just go away out of mere fatigue, considering we are back to the numbers of January (albeit with a heavy title towards the unvaccinated which may be why) we really are nowhere near the shutting of society we were a year ago and more (and that's good).
80%+ fully vaccinated isn't happening in the US, ever. Some aren't getting vaccinated period, even with a firstborn held at gunpoint, it's never happening. That's how it's going to be and there isn't anything anyone can do about it. It's time to get over it and move on. The earth could use a purge anyway. Less humans help the climate.

Old 09-03-2021, 09:02 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
The earth could use a purge anyway. Less humans help the climate.
This is an appalling statement.

Old 09-03-2021, 09:24 PM

6,918 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This is an appalling statement.
You missed the irony
Your mortal enemies on the left call for Covid restrictions, open borders (Covid cases are pouring in by the day at the southern border unchecked) and higher urban populations contradicting the call for climate change initiatives, you know, the Green Deal.

Old 09-04-2021, 07:10 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
I’d push back on saying “our country”. The US is actually coming out way ahead of most western nations when it comes to vaccination rates. Wealthy western nations like Australia, New Zealand and South Africa have staggeringly low vaccination rates (only 28% of Australians and 10% of South Africans).
Australia and New Zealand have the lowest mortality rates from Covid-19 in the world. This is because they have some of the earliest and strictest mask, social distancing and lockdown laws in the world. These were implemented early on so unlike here in the US where we were mislead or lied to for weeks about the severity of the virus, you did not have the virus silently running rampant through the country unchecked.

I have a friend/colleague in Australia and he says they do not fool around with these rules AT ALL. Unlike here if you are caught breaking these rules, you will be prosecuted. The virus has not been politicized there like it has been here and not listening to the experts and following the rules is not tolerated.

Also note that while it’s true both Australia and New Zealand have low vaccination rates, that’s due to issues with getting a vaccine approved, manufactured and distributed efficiently rather than resistance to being vaccinated like is happening here. Once these issues are resolved these country’s vaccination rates should grow rapidly and will almost certainly exceed the US quickly.

The link below has a good article on Covid-19 in Australia but also has information on New Zealand. This is off topic but I really have to tell you, it really makes me wonder if our country had reacted similarly, would our country be in a much better position than it currently is. Again that’s off topic. Jay

https://www.city-journal.org/austral...covid-response

Old 09-04-2021, 08:04 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Australia and New Zealand have the lowest mortality rates from Covid-19 in the world. This is because they have some of the earliest and strictest mask, social distancing and lockdown laws in the world. These were implemented early on so unlike here in the US where we were mislead or lied to for weeks about the severity of the virus, you did not have the virus silently running rampant through the country unchecked.

I have a friend/colleague in Australia and he says they do not fool around with these rules AT ALL. Unlike here if you are caught breaking these rules, you will be prosecuted. The virus has not been politicized there like it has been here and not listening to the experts and following the rules is not tolerated.

Also note that while it’s true both Australia and New Zealand have low vaccination rates, that’s due to issues with getting a vaccine approved, manufactured and distributed efficiently rather than resistance to being vaccinated like is happening here. Once these issues are resolved these country’s vaccination rates should grow rapidly and will almost certainly exceed the US quickly.

The link below has a good article on Covid-19 in Australia but also has information on New Zealand. This is off topic but I really have to tell you, it really makes me wonder if our country had reacted similarly, would our country be in a much better position than it currently is. Again that’s off topic. Jay

https://www.city-journal.org/austral...covid-response

Thank you, great response that I didn't have to come up with.

And while I think New Zealand locking down for one new case would never happen here (besides our different cultural attitudes on that we are not an island nation the size of a large western US state with just over half the population of NYC) it did work. Now could that be done forever.....yeah that's a different story.

Quote:

In the US, the media loves to jump on Florida for political purposes, but truth be told, it’s only a few notches under CT in terms of “at least one dose” percentages, with FL being at 71% and CT being at 80%. In terms of persons over 65, Florida and CT have 99.9% vaccinated with New York being at only 93% (we all know how Cuomo felt about the state’s elderly, though, so that should come as zero surprise).

But Florida is also not allowing districts to mandate masks and more kids and educators are getting COVID there than other places. I get that maybe its not needed in a small rural district (but it only takes a couple to start an outbreak) but at the very least it should be left up to each district, it's becoming more and more clear that until the under 12 can be vaccinated it's needed in urban and maybe even most large suburban districts. Also remember that most of Florida's elderly are northeast retirees and a little more liberal than the rest of the state (but just a little, yes I know all about the Villages), people forget that DeSantis barely won the governatorial election, he hardly had a mandate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
80%+ fully vaccinated isn't happening in the US, ever. Some aren't getting vaccinated period, even with a firstborn held at gunpoint, it's never happening. That's how it's going to be and there isn't anything anyone can do about it. It's time to get over it and move on. The earth could use a purge anyway. Less humans help the climate.
But that affects the right of others to good health so it can't just be "moved on". This is why you are more and more going to see vaccine mandates and most will hold up in court.

Old 09-04-2021, 08:21 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,185,943 times
Those down under that I know are not enjoying living in a military state. Also impossible to accomplish that here as we are not an island nation. We can't agree on immigration....legal or otherwise.

Old 09-04-2021, 08:24 AM

Quote:
I am seeing different rates than you. I’m not sure why but I find that as of September 2, 2021 Connecticut has 73% with one dose of the vaccine and 66% with two doses. Florida has 64% with one dose and 53% with two. I can’t say I’m impressed with either state or the country overall but I wouldn’t call differences of 9% for one dose and 12% for two doses “a few notches”. Jay

https://usafacts.org/visualizations/...te/connecticut

https://usafacts.org/visualizations/.../state/florida

Old 09-04-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Those down under that I know are not enjoying living in a military state. Also impossible to accomplish that here as we are not an island nation. We can't agree on immigration....legal or otherwise.
There is no reason our country could not have shut down just as tightly. Remember that the travel ban from China was ineffective because it was not comprehensive or complete. Travelers from China merely had to travel through another country to enter here. That’s how the virus entered New York and spread quickly to our state and giving us an early and high mortality rate. I know it’s easy to sit back today and say “should’ve, would’ve, could’ve” but it does make you wonder. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut