Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2020, 06:32 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Agree, those early to mid-century homes are wonderful when well kept.
The area I’m referring to is 18th century, 19th century, and turn of century homes.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:02 AM

6,909 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
The area I’m referring to is 18th century, 19th century, and turn of century homes.
Early century, turn of the century, semantics, kind of the same idea.
The timbers used for construction in those days were of the highest quality.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:11 AM

265 posts, read 488,119 times
New Haven vs Mansfield

Stonington vs Fairfield

Milford vs West Hartford

Old Saybrook vs Westport

Old 05-19-2020, 10:43 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Haha, of course.
That's too bad.... It would have been funny to hear stories about your (hypothetical) Milford court appearance...

Old 05-19-2020, 05:49 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,643,159 times
Hey Guys,

So referring to the Fairfield vs Stonington fixture, I was wondering which town would you say is more upscale overall? I haven't spent that much time in Stonington but enough time to realize that there are some very upscale areas within the town.

From growing up in Fairfield, I know that Southport is definitely the most upscale area there, followed by the Greenfield Hill area all the way up north towards the Hemlock Reservoir. There are some quite rich areas around the western part of the town along where the Merritt Pkwy crosses in from Westport. But then as you get further east towards the Fairfield University Area, and Tunix Hills, it is quite a bit more affordable and full of middle class residents. The Jennings Beach area is sort of upper middle-class with a few rich areas, but I believe the main reason that it is a little more upscale then some of the other areas is because it is right on the coast.

From what I know about Stonington, there are three areas that are very upscale: Mason's Island and the surrounding areas that lead to it, Lord's Point, and the Stonington Borough, but as far as I know the rest of Stonington is pretty affordable especially once you get a little more inland and away from the coastal areas.

Both towns I know have some very upscale areas and a few areas that are more affordable, but which town would you say is the overall more upscale? Many of you probably have more experience with that and real estate than I do.

Gosh though, they are both amazing towns, and I'm bummed that one of them has to go out this round.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:19 PM

982 posts, read 599,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Hey Guys,

So referring to the Fairfield vs Stonington fixture, I was wondering which town would you say is more upscale overall? I haven't spent that much time in Stonington but enough time to realize that there are some very upscale areas within the town.

From growing up in Fairfield, I know that Southport is definitely the most upscale area there, followed by the Greenfield Hill area all the way up north towards the Hemlock Reservoir. There are some quite rich areas around the western part of the town along where the Merritt Pkwy crosses in from Westport. But then as you get further east towards the Fairfield University Area, and Tunix Hills, it is quite a bit more affordable and full of middle class residents. The Jennings Beach area is sort of upper middle-class with a few rich areas, but I believe the main reason that it is a little more upscale then some of the other areas is because it is right on the coast.

From what I know about Stonington, there are three areas that are very upscale: Mason's Island and the surrounding areas that lead to it, Lord's Point, and the Stonington Borough, but as far as I know the rest of Stonington is pretty affordable especially once you get a little more inland and away from the coastal areas.

Both towns I know have some very upscale areas and a few areas that are more affordable, but which town would you say is the overall more upscale? Many of you probably have more experience with that and real estate than I do.

Gosh though, they are both amazing towns, and I'm bummed that one of them has to go out this round.
I won't comment on Stonington but I will add on to your post about Fairfield. The beach area is very interesting in that it's the one part of town whose eastern portion is wealthier. I think this has to do with the fact that the coast is closer to downtown by Jennings (such that the waterfront homes have better proximity to downtown).

But I seriously think the Pine Creek area is so slept on. There's nothing like it in Fairfield County and most likely not west of New Haven (I'd have to drive around Milford more to know).
Drive down Old Dam Road and get teleported back to Southern Maine / Essex County MA

Old 05-19-2020, 08:00 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
New Haven vs Mansfield

Stonington vs Fairfield

Milford vs West Hartford

Old Saybrook vs Westport

Old 05-20-2020, 05:37 AM

6,909 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
But I seriously think the Pine Creek area is so slept on. There's nothing like it in Fairfield County and most likely not west of New Haven (I'd have to drive around Milford more to know).
Drive down Old Dam Road and get teleported back to Southern Maine / Essex County MA
I looked at a couple of houses down there (not the cheap ugly one on huge stilts). Its very nice though I didn't get transported anywhere. Its just one road that loops around. It does have an off the beaten pathness to it. Tokeneke in Darien and an areas in Norwalk Split Creek, Bell Island, Wilson Point are along the same lines a bit. Greenwich's Bell Haven as well. There's Compo Cove in Westport. Saugatuck Shores.
I just can't get enough of the CT coast Proud, so much so that I'm in escrow on it as we speak. Love it, I've done my due diligence.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:09 AM

5 posts, read 2,759 times
New Haven vs Mansfield

Stonington vs Fairfield

Milford vs West Hartford

Old Saybrook vs Westport

Old 05-20-2020, 05:02 PM

982 posts, read 599,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I looked at a couple of houses down there (not the cheap ugly one on huge stilts). Its very nice though I didn't get transported anywhere. Its just one road that loops around. It does have an off the beaten pathness to it. Tokeneke in Darien and an areas in Norwalk Split Creek, Bell Island, Wilson Point are along the same lines a bit. Greenwich's Bell Haven as well. There's Compo Cove in Westport. Saugatuck Shores.
I just can't get enough of the CT coast Proud, so much so that I'm in escrow on it as we speak. Love it, I've done my due diligence.
Really? Some of them even have lobster pots outside and I'd consider that a vibe. I know you're more into architecture and I'm more into nature, so this may have slipped by you, but the road has multiple links to the largest salt marsh trail network in the whole state and an absolutely magical grey birch forest. But of course I completely agree with the "off the beaten path" vibe, which I think is the only spot in Fairfield south of 95 with that vibe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut