Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2020, 12:42 AM

982 posts, read 599,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Is this a joke? New Haven has always been one of the 169 towns of Connecticut. I mean it is a city, but when we say town on here that includes cities and towns.
If you want to get extremely technical it is actually also a town. All cities in CT are also towns, and in all cases but two (Groton and Winchester) the cities and towns are coextensive with the town (in both aforementioned examples the city only occupies part of the town's area)

Old 05-17-2020, 09:14 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Thank you for the beautiful photos of the Connecticut shoreline and the sun setting over the earth.
You have to understand something PF, to me it's about neighborhoods, style, and elegance. I'm real big on architecture, I'm all about it. I love the stately old world styles you see down at Southport harbor. They are absolute pleasures to the eye. Not to mention other neighborhoods in and around Stub, CT and out towards RI. Yale in New Haven? speechless. I can't get enough of the new modern farmhouse type construction either thats popular these days.
Those gables, dormers and roof pitches down on Rowland and Penfield with their Tuscany kitchens just aren't my thing man.

You too Stylo, somebody put a up a bunch of raised ranches in Milford and Jesus people bought em'.

All the very best
I too have a love for architecture and love the beauty of Southport, as well as the shoreline towns of our state. That said, not every part of a town can be like Southport. It would cost a fortune to replicate its architecture and would not serve the needs of everyone.

I’m not sure I understand your comment on Milford but would point to Milford’s stunning town green area as one of our states more charming areas.

As for those raised ranches, I’m pretty sure they exist in just about every town in our state. They were considered to be very stylish back in the 60’s and 70’s and were popular because they gave people on a budget the most square footage bag for their buck since the basement could be finished inexpensively for extra bedrooms, baths, laundry, family room, or garage space. They fell out of favor in the 80’s but may someday come back in favor. Surprisingly every now and then I see a new one advertised for sale. Jay

Last edited by JayCT; 05-17-2020 at 08:34 PM..

Old 05-17-2020, 01:16 PM

417 posts, read 600,620 times
Round 7:

Deadline: Friday May 22nd at 8:00pm Connecticut Time.

New Haven vs Mansfield

Stonington vs Fairfield

Milford vs West Hartford

Old Saybrook vs Westport

Old 05-17-2020, 02:02 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I’m not sure I understand your comment on Milford but would point to Milford’s stunning town green area as one of our states more charming areas.
Was just driving through the "South of the Green" area - Pond St. is particularly pretty. Also Trumbull Ave. North St by the duck ponds is beautiful too. Governor Ave. is another favorite. There are not a ton of areas like that. There's lots of very charming neighborhoods in Milford that are off the beaten path.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:34 PM

6,902 posts, read 3,742,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I too have a little ve for architecture and love the beauty of Southport, as well as the shoreline towns of our state. That said, not every part of a town can be like Southport. It would cost a fortune to replicate its architecture and would not serve the needs of everyone.

As for those raised ranches, I’m pretty sure they exist in just about every town in our state. They were considered to be very stylish back in the 60’s and 70’s and were popular because they gave people on a budget the most square footage bag for their buck since the basement could be finished inexpensively for extra bedrooms, baths, laundry, family room, or garage space. They fell out of favor in the 80’s but may someday come back in favor. Surprisingly every now and then I see a new one advertised for sale. Jay
No, of course it's not going to be replicated in more modest areas or towns. I was strictly talking about the beach area where folks are spendy.

Southport's architecture could of been replicated in the beach area tastefully, even with narrow and smaller lots. Instead the developers and architects in the 2000's went bonkers with protractors.

Forget the raised ranches, I had LOL face emoji. Just having some fun with song lyrics someone else had posted recently.

You know how it goes
All the Best

Old 05-17-2020, 06:37 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Was just driving through the "South of the Green" area - Pond St. is particularly pretty. Also Trumbull Ave. North St by the duck ponds is beautiful too. Governor Ave. is another favorite. There are not a ton of areas like that. There's lots of very charming neighborhoods in Milford that are off the beaten path.
That is a charming area, so different from what most people see. I hope you obeyed the speed limit..

Old 05-17-2020, 06:40 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
That is a charming area, so different from what most people see. I hope you obeyed the speed limit..
Haha, of course.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:46 PM

6,902 posts, read 3,742,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Agree, those early to mid-century homes are wonderful when well kept.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:38 AM

138 posts, read 114,884 times
New Haven vs Mansfield

Stonington vs Fairfield

Milford vs West Hartford

Old Saybrook vs Westport

Old 05-19-2020, 05:08 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Deadline: Friday May 22nd at 8:00pm Connecticut Time.

New Haven vs Mansfield

Stonington vs Fairfield

Milford vs West Hartford

Old Saybrook vs Westport
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut