Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2020, 08:15 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,638,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Yeah, OS downtown is OK but ranks pretty low compared to many others for me. I would put Milford, Branford, Guilford, Madison, Essex, Chester, Litchfield, Bethel, and many others ahead of it. I guess it’s just a bit generic. Nothing special. Have spent plenty of time there. The little theater is a bonus.
Hmm I guess it just is a matter of what you are looking for then. I always pictured Milford's downtown as very ordinary. Never seen the waterfalls though although I heard about them, so maybe that's a bonus, but still. When I think Downtown Milford, it's mostly just malls, shopping, and restaurants there.

Branford has a really nice downtown but it is a lot more urban like. I understand Guilford because that downtown is very green and has a lot of nature to it, although it is a lot smaller than Old Saybrook's with not nearly as much stuff. Madison also has a pretty downtown but it is very tiny with not much to do there. Does Litchfield even have a downtown? I mean there are very few things but it is mostly rural. I always thought Essex and Bethel's downtowns have been overhyped a bit, but that is probably just me. Chester does have some great nature in its downtown especially with beautiful lakes, but again not a lot to do.

Here is what I really love about Downtown OS: I feel there are really quite a few things to do and amenities, but not too much either. Its also spaced out more than most other towns with a lot of green and some nice scenery in between. Guilford probably does have a little more green in its downtown, but I just LOVE the size of the downtown in OS, and it doesn't have so much of an urban feel as a few others you mentioned. Some people like the urban feel, but if I am in a suburban town, I just love the space, and not so much of an urban feeling.

However, I guess it all depends on what you are looking for.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:20 PM

980 posts, read 598,855 times
Round 8:

Deadline: Friday May 29th at 8:00pm Connecticut Time.

New Haven vs Fairfield - ALL. THE. WAY!!! As we all know I might be a bit biased.. But I think Fairfield truly deserves to be back at the finals. I'll keep it short since I already said the sales pitch but I honestly think there's no town in Connecticut (and maybe even New England/ the Northeast?) with a greater diversity in landscapes. Yet there's still a strong community. Diversity is our strength.

Milford vs Old Saybrook - Might be surprising, but I think Milford is a very similar town to Fairfield and I truly admire the beaches (and state park!) plus convience.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:35 PM

21,732 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Hmm I guess it just is a matter of what you are looking for then. I always pictured Milford's downtown as very ordinary. Never seen the waterfalls though although I heard about them, so maybe that's a bonus, but still. When I think Downtown Milford, it's mostly just malls, shopping, and restaurants there.
Are we talking about the same place? There are no malls in downtown Milford.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Are we talking about the same place? There are no malls in downtown Milford.
Maybe not actually. What I was referring to as downtown Milford is the whole stretch on Route 1 where all the amenities and the CT Post Mall is.

I have seen a few of those areas that you showed in the pictures, and they are really nice with great scenery, but I didn't think that most of those places were really considered part of downtown. I always thought that Downtown Milford was mainly the stretch on Route 1 throughout almost the whole town.

Last edited by Danny K; 05-22-2020 at 08:55 PM..

Old 05-22-2020, 10:08 PM

417 posts, read 600,391 times
Round 8:

Deadline: Friday May 29th at 8:00pm Connecticut Time.

New Haven vs Fairfield

Milford vs Old Saybrook

Old 05-23-2020, 01:12 AM

21,732 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Maybe not actually. What I was referring to as downtown Milford is the whole stretch on Route 1 where all the amenities and the CT Post Mall is.

I have seen a few of those areas that you showed in the pictures, and they are really nice with great scenery, but I didn't think that most of those places were really considered part of downtown. I always thought that Downtown Milford was mainly the stretch on Route 1 throughout almost the whole town.
No, Downtown is not Route 1. The only “downtown”-ish area on Route 1 is Devon center, which has a few shops, restaurants, salons/yoga spots, and a brewery.

The only Route that passes through downtown is 162.

Old 05-23-2020, 06:09 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,628,700 times
New Haven
Old Saybrook

Old 05-23-2020, 06:16 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,946,494 times
Quote:
No, Downtown is not Route 1. The only “downtown”-ish area on Route 1 is Devon center, which has a few shops, restaurants, salons/yoga spots, and a brewery.

I agree. True downtown Milford is very charming, a world away from Route 1. If all you see of the town is Route 1, it won't leave a very positive overall impression.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:21 AM

4,451 posts, read 3,345,929 times
Round 8:

New Haven vs Fairfield

Milford vs Old Saybrook

Old 05-23-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I agree. True downtown Milford is very charming, a world away from Route 1. If all you see of the town is Route 1, it won't leave a very positive overall impression.
Ahh I see. I know what area you are talking about, and I've driven through there a couple times, but really haven't spent much time in downtown Milford then. The places I've really spent time and am very familiar with is the Route 1 stretch throughout the whole town and the Silver Sands Park/Walnut Beach Area. Otherwise I've driven through different parts but only briefly and didn't really spend time in the other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut