Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2022, 11:09 AM

7,930 posts, read 7,834,064 times

Advertisements

It's early and I think it will get ugly by the fall if more comes out on both sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2022, 08:13 PM

21,655 posts, read 31,269,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I think they see it but weigh it against other things like the states vastly improved fiscal situation or his handling of the pandemic.

Then there’s the extremity of the Republican candidate. If Stefanowski is renominated, people will likely question his true position on the issues. He seems to pander to extreme voters and that is a major turnoff. As I said thousands of times here, if the Republicans truly want to win the Governor’s office they have to nominate a better more moderate candidate than they have in the past. Jay
Sorry but I don’t see anything extreme about Stefanowski. By “extreme” when it comes to conservative, I view that to be socially right wing. That’s not the case. I’m not advocating that he’s wonderful, but extreme? No.

By comparison, Lamont has embraced the socially extreme viewpoints of the left. It’s hard to argue otherwise.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:15 PM

154 posts, read 79,469 times
Stefanowski will be very competitive in this race. I don't trust the polls and media. They have a liberal bias and try to put down every Republican candidate. People are getting sick of this woke time and the Democrats are in trouble in this state and all over the country. Lamont is a very weak leader and should not be praised for his handling of Covid. He tried to follow NY and Como and even RI. Covid money is being wasted and it was all being controlled by Lamont. It will be interesting to see how much fraud and waste happened with all this covid money. CT is flush with cash because of federal covid money and also our high taxes. Stefanowski has plenty of time to expose Lamont and really campaign in the right manner. He learned a lot from the last election. Lamont will be vulnerable just like many other Democrats all over the country. I can't wait to see my posts edited by our power hungry moderator. Gotta love the fake Republicans in this state trying to push and hype up liberal democrats and their woke leadership. 40 years of Democrat control has ruined this state. The legislature and the career politicians are the problem.

Old 04-27-2022, 11:22 PM

34,087 posts, read 17,140,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Sorry but I don’t see anything extreme about Stefanowski. By “extreme” when it comes to conservative, I view that to be socially right wing. That’s not the case. I’m not advocating that he’s wonderful, but extreme? No.

By comparison, Lamont has embraced the socially extreme viewpoints of the left. It’s hard to argue otherwise.
In most states, Stefanowski would be too far left to survive a party primary.

When it comes to being soft on criminal justice issues, Lamont has been the playdoh the left-wing legislature desires. Shape him as you want. He never pushes back.

Old 04-28-2022, 01:27 PM

34,975 posts, read 57,057,748 times
Quote:

I’d say that Stefanowski’s proposal to eliminate the income tax during his last run for Governor was extreme. He had no definitive plan to replace what is the state’s largest source of revenue. While a nice thought, it certainly was not realistic which is why I think he couldn’t persuade enough voters to flip from what was at that time a very unliked party. If he was more moderate in his approach he might have won.

This election, he has an even harder job. Lamont has done a decent job running the state. His handling of the pandemic has meant out state is one of least infected states in the country despite being hit so hard, so early in the pandemic. He’s been fiscally conservative which has meant the state is flush with money, is making advanced payments on its pension obligations and is cutting taxes by almost $600 million.

Lamont’s weaknesses are some minor corruption problems which have not got to him; the juvenile crime problem which appears to be being addressed with revisions to the laws; and the Democrats attack on self rule and zoning/affordable housing. While I am mad as hell about that, I’m not sure that is enough to warrant Stefanowski or any Republican to beat Lamont. Jay

Old 04-28-2022, 01:59 PM

34,975 posts, read 57,057,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
In most states, Stefanowski would be too far left to survive a party primary.

When it comes to being soft on criminal justice issues, Lamont has been the playdoh the left-wing legislature desires. Shape him as you want. He never pushes back.
Come on now, that’s not even close to accurate. Jay

Old 04-28-2022, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I’d say that Stefanowski’s proposal to eliminate the income tax during his last run for Governor was extreme. He had no definitive plan to replace what is the state’s largest source of revenue. While a nice thought, it certainly was not realistic which is why I think he couldn’t persuade enough voters to flip from what was at that time a very unliked party. If he was more moderate in his approach he might have won.
That is how you start the ball rolling on a long overdue reduction in rates.

Old 04-28-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Come on now, that’s not even close to accurate. Jay
I stand by the comment. Juvenile crime is going to cost Lamont tons of votes. He has been a puppet of the radical left on the issue.

Old 04-29-2022, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Lamont’s weaknesses are some minor corruption problems which have not got to him; the juvenile crime problem which appears to be being addressed with revisions to the laws; and the Democrats attack on self rule and zoning/affordable housing. While I am mad as hell about that, I’m not sure that is enough to warrant Stefanowski or any Republican to beat Lamont. Jay
The juvenile crime problem is being addressed? How so?

Old 04-29-2022, 02:18 PM

Quote:
The juvenile crime problem is being addressed? How so?
It may have been addressed (see Juvenile Crime thread), but it’s just a cluster of more of the same manipulative verbiage intended to appease the masses so they can publicly pat themselves on the back and say “see? We did something”.

I actually laughed out loud when reading that bill. I cannot believe people buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut