Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2022, 03:12 AM

21,659 posts, read 31,293,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I started the Connecticut Republican thread years ago because I saw the completely awful candidates they kept nominating. They were unelectable. I do not see that with the Democrats. You may not agree with the candidates position on the issues but the majority of voters did. They’ve been electing Democrats more than Republicans for decades now and that sort of proves there is a problem. Jay
That only proves Connecticut is a very liberal state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2022, 05:02 AM

7,934 posts, read 7,840,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That only proves Connecticut is a very liberal state.
Not exactly. There's also a difference between liberal and progressive. Some on the right try to project national politics to things on a state or local level and that doesn't work.

I'd make an argument that's there's way too much politics in the state, especially on a local level. There's no reason why a town clerk should be a republican or democrat. There's no reason why some elections should happen for say a state comptroller if it can be appointed. I'm all for democracy but without qualifications you can end up with people on a school committee that hasn't been in a classroom for decades and doesn't have a degree, a finance committee with people with bad credit and governing boards and city councils that pressure trained staff to go against laws and ethics. This is why some government positions are staying open for so long, it has nothing to do with baby boomers retiring as that's happened for more than a decade.

One part that neither party is touching is the retirement of ICE based engines in 2035. First it was California. Now it's Mass and NY and Vermont. It doesn't matter how affluent a place is. Infact affluent people drive much less than those with less money. If you are really important people go to you. I'm not saying mechanics will be out of business since there's always hvac and more industrial work. But the impact to new car dealerships and parts places will be significant. You layer this on top of the Tesla dealership requirements and it gets odd. If CT doesn't go along with these other states wil will create incentives for people to buy ICE cars in CT and drive back. This will create additional traffic that I'm sure communities wont like (especially in FFC)

Old 10-18-2022, 07:03 AM

2,497 posts, read 4,732,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Oh come on now, that’s just ridiculous. The state handles its money properly. You may not agree with the way it’s spent but the majority of people want the things in the budget and they cost money. If it was as easy as you think, it would have been done long ago.

None of the things you suggest will raise anywhere near the revenue needed. Try again.
Neither will tolls. They'll burn through whatever toll revenue they get immediately, and then jack up the toll rates, and add new ones elsewhere. Just like they've done with taxes. This state spends more than they take in. That's called a spending problem, which this state absolutely has. When no amount of money is ever enough, that's a problem.

Old 10-18-2022, 07:28 AM

7,934 posts, read 7,840,419 times
Well that's why I say have limits on taxes and spending. Put in limits on property taxes and put in standards for spending. There are people and businesses that rip off the state. Priorities should be more on needs. Defense contractors are nice but how about more supermarkets and choices on energy?

Old 10-18-2022, 08:13 AM

35,019 posts, read 57,105,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Neither will tolls. They'll burn through whatever toll revenue they get immediately, and then jack up the toll rates, and add new ones elsewhere. Just like they've done with taxes. This state spends more than they take in. That's called a spending problem, which this state absolutely has. When no amount of money is ever enough, that's a problem.
No, tolls will actually bring in more than enough revenue and it will be revenue that doesn’t all come from Connecticut residents. It will finally mean that the hundreds of thousands of out of state drivers who use our roads for free will finally pay their fair share to build and maintain our roads. In fact if the plan Lamont had put forth was implemented as much as 40% of the toll revenue would come from out of state drivers.

That’s a significant amount of money and money that Connecticut taxpayers do not need to cough up. Remember Connecticut is the only state on the east coast that does not have tolls. It’s not fair that Connecticut drivers must pay tolls in other states but out of state drivers pay nothing here.

But of course politics reared it’s ugly heading and the naysayers got involved and stopped them. Now we are in a sort of purgatory where we have this known revenue issue coming and are taking a bandaid approach to transportation and it’s funding. And sadly, it shows. Jay

Old 10-18-2022, 08:41 AM

35,019 posts, read 57,105,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Well that's why I say have limits on taxes and spending. Put in limits on property taxes and put in standards for spending. There are people and businesses that rip off the state. Priorities should be more on needs. Defense contractors are nice but how about more supermarkets and choices on energy?
More supermarkets? I have a choice of seven supermarkets within 15 minutes of my house. Most people have multiple choices as well. Of course small towns like yours have more limited choices. That’s to be expected. You want more choices, move. Sorry but that is on you to live in a small isolated town.

As for limits on taxes, I have to say I haven’t really seen it work. Proposition 2 1/2 in Massachusetts has had literally thousands of exemptions voted in by taxpayers, rendering the law virtually useless. I have found that comparable homes in comparable communities in Massachusetts have as high or even higher taxes than Connecticut.

Proposition 13 in California has had mixed results as best. It has stabilized the taxes property owners pay every year but has meant budgeting issues for towns and a dramatic tax increases for home buyers. Not sure how that is better. Jay

Old 10-19-2022, 10:30 AM

154 posts, read 79,568 times
Connecticut is going to see some change in a few weeks. 5th district will go to Logan and the Republicans. Stefanowski is closing in on Lamont and might finish the job this time. Biden and the Democrat brand is going to hurt all local Democrats. People are voting about real issues. Not trans rights or climate change. Inflation and high costs of goods will influence voters. This is a bad thing for Demorats. The manipulated fake crime numbers are also trying to mislead voters and normal intelligent people can understand this fact. The cities in our state are the main problem. Poor leadership and failed policies require the State to constantly bail them out. We are a sanctuary state filled with sanctuary cities. Who is going to keep paying for these illegals to come into our communities and take the freebies ? NYC wants them gone, next stop is Connecticut. Lamont will not even mention this during his campaign. Bob Stefanowski might not be a perfect candidate but he is the only option this fall. Republican leadership at the top might shake things up in Hartford. 40 + years of Democrat control is crazy. Time for Change.

Old 10-19-2022, 11:58 AM

21,809 posts, read 28,190,303 times
I always thought we had too many supermarkets in this area.

In Milford there’s 5 major ones. That’s if you don’t include Target or Walmart. Or G Mart, which is all Asian. Then a Aldi in Milford, Trader Joe’s and ShopRite in Orange, 2 major supermarkets in Stratford, a Big Y right over border of Orange in Derby. An Amazon Freah is coming to Orange. That’s a lot.

Policy doesn’t dictate supermarket presence though. So not sure why it’s even a debate.

Old 10-19-2022, 12:00 PM

21,809 posts, read 28,190,303 times
I spoke to some staunch Republican relatives in CT.

One is voting Lamont, but all R down the rest of the line.

The other is not voting for gov at all, because they don’t like Stefanowski but are being stubborn about pro life.

Old 10-19-2022, 12:21 PM

6,984 posts, read 3,802,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazbme99 View Post
Connecticut is going to see some change in a few weeks. 5th district will go to Logan and the Republicans. Stefanowski is closing in on Lamont and might finish the job this time. Biden and the Democrat brand is going to hurt all local Democrats. People are voting about real issues. Not trans rights or climate change. Inflation and high costs of goods will influence voters. This is a bad thing for Demorats. The manipulated fake crime numbers are also trying to mislead voters and normal intelligent people can understand this fact. The cities in our state are the main problem. Poor leadership and failed policies require the State to constantly bail them out. We are a sanctuary state filled with sanctuary cities. Who is going to keep paying for these illegals to come into our communities and take the freebies ? NYC wants them gone, next stop is Connecticut. Lamont will not even mention this during his campaign. Bob Stefanowski might not be a perfect candidate but he is the only option this fall. Republican leadership at the top might shake things up in Hartford. 40 + years of Democrat control is crazy. Time for Change.
This sounds outdated and delusional. The only thing closing in CT are the walls on Stefanoswski. You should consider re-locating. It's the only alternative. There is no other way. Nothing is changing in CT in fact it will only get bluer. The gays and tree huggers aren't going anywhere.
Only thing to keep in mind is that popular red states like FL, the Carolinas and TX have become the greatest sanctuary havens for illegals of all time. Someone has to build your new construction home down there, and there's a ton of them, as far as the eye can see. Other than that everything else would suit your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut