Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2022, 10:35 AM

34,970 posts, read 57,045,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnho771 View Post
Is Lamont even running for governor this election? It seems all I see are Stefanowski signs and ads. At the debate, Lamont couldn't even string a tie around his neck. Meanwhile there is Stefanowki with his perfectly coifed hair, looking like a Kennedy.

On my 30 minute drive home from work the other day I counted campaign signs for Bob vrs. Ned. 14 for Bob and only 1 for Ned. And this transpires beyond red vrs blue. Saw many yards with signs for Democratic candidates, but no Lamont signs. If this represents how this election goes, Bob not only has a chance, but Bob could win big. There isn't a diner in the state that Stefanowski can't fill.

The ad you speak of just further goes to show how dangerously relatable Bob is. Hometown Bob. Family Bob. CT Bob. Ned...well Ned is not even from a state.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out in November.
You are probably seeing the signs in a heavily Republican town so of course you won’t see a lot of Lamont signs. That means little. Go to a heavily Democratic town and you’d likely see few Stefanowski signs.

Also you likely read or watch more conservative media so of course you see a lot of pro Stefanowski coverage. Look carefully at the source of your news coverage and be cautious to believe their opinions. Everything you read or watch has a bias and an agenda to push. Be aware of it. I can assure you, Lamont does equally as well filling diners and bringing in people to his events.

Let’s face it, Ned Lamont has done a pretty decent job over the past four years. He’s done well handling and fixing the fiscal mess the state had six years ago. He’s resisted attempts to spend our budget surpluses recklessly and instead has invested in our future by paying down our states massive pension obligations. That will pay off in the future. Unfortunately though Lamont has not addressed certain matters like crime, affordable housing overriding local control and police accountability. It’s unlikely though that these are significant enough to affect his popularity.

Bob Stefanowski is trying to overcome his image as a far right conservative Trump supporter and ruthless businessman. His new ads are very clever in painting him as a fun loving beloved family man. His wife and daughters are pretty effective but I doubt it’s enough to get him elected. He has a lot to overcome. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 10:43 AM

9,893 posts, read 7,238,713 times
Quote:
Is Lamont even running for governor this election? It seems all I see are Stefanowski signs and ads. At the debate, Lamont couldn't even string a tie around his neck. Meanwhile there is Stefanowki with his perfectly coifed hair, looking like a Kennedy.

On my 30 minute drive home from work the other day I counted campaign signs for Bob vrs. Ned. 14 for Bob and only 1 for Ned. And this transpires beyond red vrs blue. Saw many yards with signs for Democratic candidates, but no Lamont signs. If this represents how this election goes, Bob not only has a chance, but Bob could win big. There isn't a diner in the state that Stefanowski can't fill.

The ad you speak of just further goes to show how dangerously relatable Bob is. Hometown Bob. Family Bob. CT Bob. Ned...well Ned is not even from a state.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out in November.
Haven't we learned that signs, hats, flags, and flotillas aren't indicative of votes?

Old 10-11-2022, 11:08 AM

752 posts, read 555,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
There’s no doubt about it; Ned will win. CT has gone too far to the left to ever come back to normalcy, IMO.

Has the state electorate changed that much? Westport has a Republican 1st Selectperson. So does Fairfield. Trumbull has a Democrat.

I don't think the electorate has moved left as much as the Republicans are running crappy candidates. Blumenthal isn't particularly popular, but running an unknown Trump acolyte against him instead of Klarides made the election uncompetitive.

In the 5th District, which was winnable, the Republicans ran yet another big Trump supporter.

For governor, they ran the guy who already lost.

I don't think this is a matter of shifting electoral preferences at all-- just a matter of the state Republican party not having its act together...

Old 10-11-2022, 11:10 AM

752 posts, read 555,879 times
Quote:
Meanwhile there is Stefanowki with his perfectly coifed hair, looking like a Kennedy.
Uggh. Really? I think you're seeing what you want to see here.

Old 10-11-2022, 12:33 PM

6,952 posts, read 3,780,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C28067302 View Post
Unfortunately though Lamont has not addressed certain matters like crime, affordable housing overriding local control and police accountability. It’s unlikely though that these are significant enough to affect his popularity.
No they'll have no affect, not even in the slightest, not when you're talking about a beloved state national treasure like Lamont. In fact it may even help, many in state are fully onboard with those policies. Even the limo progs in the affluent suburbs know the worst case scenario is a broken in car, they know it won't go much beyond that where they reside. They know affordable housing will never realistically come to fruition, they know the poors are stuck where they are. Lamont himself even knows these things. Limo progs will cry out for open borders, equality and diversity, affordablity, police accountability all the while knowing damn well none of it will impact CT's precious and prized affluent suburbs.

Old 10-11-2022, 12:48 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,728,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
There’s no doubt about it; Ned will win. CT has gone too far to the left to ever come back to normalcy, IMO.
You have to keep in mind that not everyone who will be voting for Lamont is a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat. There's a lot of people who are unenthusiastic about both candidates, the ones who don't have lawn signs, who are asking themselves the same thing many Americans ponder in years of presidential elections: Who do I think will do the least amount of harm and get the most done? Many of us would have had no qualms about voting Republican in this gubernatorial election if it was a different candidate. I don't know why anyone thought it was a wise idea to bring back Stefanowski. It's the same thing that happened in 2014 when Tom Foley ran (whom I voted for not because I liked him but because I truly hated Malloy, and still do.) When I saw that Bob got the nomination, all I could think was, "are you guys TRYING to blow this election? Cause this is how ya do it." The biggest misconception people have about how they vote is they presume that people like the person they vote for. I have a few friends who voted for Trump in 2016, and they've conveyed the same message: It's not that they liked him, but they had other considerations that they took into the voting booth. The same can be said about CT in this imminent race for governor.

Old 10-11-2022, 04:15 PM

34,970 posts, read 57,045,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
You have to keep in mind that not everyone who will be voting for Lamont is a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat. There's a lot of people who are unenthusiastic about both candidates, the ones who don't have lawn signs, who are asking themselves the same thing many Americans ponder in years of presidential elections: Who do I think will do the least amount of harm and get the most done? Many of us would have had no qualms about voting Republican in this gubernatorial election if it was a different candidate. I don't know why anyone thought it was a wise idea to bring back Stefanowski. It's the same thing that happened in 2014 when Tom Foley ran (whom I voted for not because I liked him but because I truly hated Malloy, and still do.) When I saw that Bob got the nomination, all I could think was, "are you guys TRYING to blow this election? Cause this is how ya do it." The biggest misconception people have about how they vote is they presume that people like the person they vote for. I have a few friends who voted for Trump in 2016, and they've conveyed the same message: It's not that they liked him, but they had other considerations that they took into the voting booth. The same can be said about CT in this imminent race for governor.
You make a very good point and it is the subject of our Connecticut Republican Party thread. The party keeps making bad choices for candidates over and over. They couldn’t even nominate a candidate that could beat Dan Malloy who was the most disliked Governor in the country. That says a lot. Jay

Old 10-11-2022, 05:53 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,728,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You make a very good point and it is the subject of our Connecticut Republican Party thread. The party keeps making bad choices for candidates over and over. They couldn’t even nominate a candidate that could beat Dan Malloy who was the most disliked Governor in the country. That says a lot. Jay
Agreed. And while I don't see Lamont winning this election in a landslide, I can see him winning this one handily, meaning he can win 51-54 percent, a comfortable victory but not a landslide (as Obama did in 2008, winning 53% of the vote and 365 electoral votes). He's gained confidence among not just Democrats, but others who approved of his handling of things during the height of the pandemic. Certainly, I don't agree with all of his actions, but overall, I feel he handled it well. Short of that, he's been emphatic about protecting women's reproductive rights, a hot-button issue that's going to be pivotal in determining the outcome of many elections this November, including some red states (as we saw in Kansas recently.)

Apart from that, however, everyone should be asking themselves who they want in charge for the next 4 years. A great deal can happen and a lot can change between now and then, much of it unforeseen. Which is not to say some don't already do that, but IMO it's the most important question everyone should ask themselves.

Old 10-11-2022, 06:24 PM

21,649 posts, read 31,262,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Agreed. And while I don't see Lamont winning this election in a landslide, I can see him winning this one handily, meaning he can win 51-54 percent, a comfortable victory but not a landslide (as Obama did in 2008, winning 53% of the vote and 365 electoral votes). He's gained confidence among not just Democrats, but others who approved of his handling of things during the height of the pandemic. Certainly, I don't agree with all of his actions, but overall, I feel he handled it well. Short of that, he's been emphatic about protecting women's reproductive rights, a hot-button issue that's going to be pivotal in determining the outcome of many elections this November, including some red states (as we saw in Kansas recently.)

Apart from that, however, everyone should be asking themselves who they want in charge for the next 4 years. A great deal can happen and a lot can change between now and then, much of it unforeseen. Which is not to say some don't already do that, but IMO it's the most important question everyone should ask themselves.
If only we can find a Democrat that’s not tax and spend, doesn’t support far left ideologies and supports law and order, or a Republican that drops the social politics and supports the legalization of weed. Unfortunately, both sides are too loyal to their own parties to stray. And it’s only getting worse.

Old 10-11-2022, 07:47 PM

6,952 posts, read 3,780,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It’s virtually impossible to make better choices when there are none.
I don’t care what anyone says the guy is likeable in a loveable goofball kind of way.
It’s in stark contrast to Lamont’s ultra cool persona loved by the denizens and he knows it too. Lamont’s getting more and more comfortable in front of a mirror these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut