Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2022, 08:07 PM

35,275 posts, read 57,463,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That’s like saying a blue wave will happen in Oklahoma.
Exactly. Love the analogy. It’s wishful thinking. Stefanowski is not a strong enough candidate to overcome Lamont. Hayes may lose but that has nothing to do with a Red Wave or VP Harris. It has to do with her district being strongly Republican. It was a wonder she won last time. Otherwise the Democrats will continue to be strong here. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2022, 08:38 PM

34,277 posts, read 17,358,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazbme99 View Post
Connecticut is not a sure thing for the Democrats anymore. Red wave is coming. The economy and horrible job Biden is doing will cost them bigtime. New York governors race is in play and might go for Zeldin.
NY as a state is redder than Ct, long-term. Upstate is solid GOP, as are many suburbs. The state overcomes NYC at times, in November.

George Pataki would be too conservative to have ever won Ct's governor's race.

Old 10-14-2022, 11:28 PM

154 posts, read 80,029 times
The media is still trying to con people into thinking that the Republicans will not crush them Democrats next month. People are wise to the damage that Biden and the Dems have done to the country the past 2 years. The crazy and worthless spending Biden pushed through has crippled our economy. Now they are trying to change the definition of what a recession is and what inflation is.
People know how bad it is everyday they fill the car up with gas or buy groceries. We are getting screwed over by horrible policies and leadership. These facts will have a large impact on local elections state wide. Any Republican is better than what Lamont represents. He is with the Biden platform completely. Only a matter of time till Connecticut gets hit with massive tax increases. Do you really trust Lamont won't try tolls again ? His big surplus will evaporate quickly. Free covid money will be gone and CT will be screwed. The state will have to continue to bail out and prop up the failing cities in our state. Who runs those cities ? Will Lamont allow illegals to keep entering our state for our freebies ? New York is in panic mode looking to move them along. I wonder if they can sort at a warehouse or drive a delivery van ? We need to see a change in a few weeks. Hope and Change 2022

Old 10-15-2022, 07:45 AM

1,930 posts, read 2,060,707 times
Stefanowski doesn’t stand much of a chance because Lamont isn’t hated. Zeldin could win in NY because of Hochul’s unpopularity, but things here are different.

That said, I am unimpressed by both candidates in CT’s 5th district. Hayes is essentially invisible outside of the cities and Logan doesn’t bother much either. That stands in stark contrast to the races in NY, PA, etc where the candidates on both side of the aisle are actively seeking every single vote.

Old 10-15-2022, 09:29 AM

7,953 posts, read 7,895,151 times
But you don't have to hate somebody to have them lose. If I look at say Coakley versus Scott Brown years ago Scott Brown actively campaigned and Coakley didn't. Hack in Connecticut Linda McMahon spent what $100 million dollars over two Senate campaigns and lost both of them.

I think Stefanowski has put up much better ads but it might be too little too late. At least to find more specifically what you're trying to do rather than to have some general message that's not pointing anywhere.

I think that there's still a bit of a disconnect with employers and I don't know how to fix it. If I walk into a gas station or some type of convenience store or Dollar General I asked myself why aren't these people working for the manufacturer two or three miles down the street that probably pays three to four dollars more an hour than what they're making. Is it a skills gap?

At this point I'd say that we probably have more job openings than we have people looking for jobs so how we going to attract people to the state if we're not also expanding the amount of housing? Otherwise we're more dependent on other places to bring more people in the labor market is tight there as well.

Old 10-15-2022, 12:15 PM

7,307 posts, read 3,979,666 times
Quote:
The media is still trying to con people into thinking that the Republicans will not crush them Democrats next month. People are wise to the damage that Biden and the Dems have done to the country the past 2 years. The crazy and worthless spending Biden pushed through has crippled our economy. Now they are trying to change the definition of what a recession is and what inflation is.
People know how bad it is everyday they fill the car up with gas or buy groceries. We are getting screwed over by horrible policies and leadership. These facts will have a large impact on local elections state wide. Any Republican is better than what Lamont represents. He is with the Biden platform completely. Only a matter of time till Connecticut gets hit with massive tax increases. Do you really trust Lamont won't try tolls again ? His big surplus will evaporate quickly. Free covid money will be gone and CT will be screwed. The state will have to continue to bail out and prop up the failing cities in our state. Who runs those cities ? Will Lamont allow illegals to keep entering our state for our freebies ? New York is in panic mode looking to move them along. I wonder if they can sort at a warehouse or drive a delivery van ? We need to see a change in a few weeks. Hope and Change 2022
Shutting down our own North American energy supply and opening the floodgates at the southern borders for hundreds of thousands unvaxxed and untested on Jan 21 while they were still calling for vax and mask mandates at the time, in many places with iron fist rule, made no sense. None at all. Chaotic and unconcsionable decisions have been made that shook the nations foundation to the core.
With all that said, in CT it won't have any impact, not one iota. Hundreds of thousands in CT support those decisions, from the ghettoes to the affluent suburbs, and won't just walk but run to the voting machines and go straight D on autopilot without even giving it a second thought.

Old 10-15-2022, 01:15 PM

35,275 posts, read 57,463,274 times
Quote:
Connecticut had budget surpluses long before we got any Covid aid. Covid aid may have helped but it certainly isn’t the only reason we have a surplus. If you look how that money is being spent, it has nothing to do with state operations or debt payments and therefore nothing to do with the surpluses.

Fortunately Lamont has resisted spending our surpluses and instaed is investing it in advanced payments on our pension obligations. That will save us $440 million a year. That’s good fiscal policy whether you like it or not.

You also seem to forget that the Republicans fiscal history includes enacting the income tax (Weicker), borrowing $1 billion to balance the budget (Rell) and proposing to borrow hundreds of millions for transportation spending with no way to pay for it (Republican Transportation Plan 2019). How is any of that better than advance paying our obligations?

As for tolls, I ask you how exactly do you propose to pay for the billions in transportation improvements our state needs over the next 30 years? The gas tax hasn’t been raised in over 20 years and between inflation and alternative fuel vehicles, it’s days are numbered for giving our state the revenue it needs to maintain our transportation network let alone improve it. States across the country are turning to tolls to pay for them, as well as raising the gas tax. There’s no miracle solution again whether you like it or not.

As I said before, it is your wishful thinking that the Republicans will take over the state. We have a whole thread devoted to the failures of the Connecticut Republican Party. I suggest you go read it. It’s very insightful. I think much of what is said in that thread will apply to the national level as well. Jay

Old 10-15-2022, 03:26 PM

6,308 posts, read 3,014,867 times
A poll, reported by the Connecticut Examiner, was released today. It shows Governor Lamont leading Mr. Stefanowski by six percentage points. Interestingly, it also shows Senator Blumenthal leading his Republican challenger by just five percentage points. (I really hope Senator Blumenthal can be defeated. He is an absolute piece of trash, for reasons I will not get into here, as this thread is about the Governor's race!)

Results: https://ctexaminer.com/2022/10/15/it...or-and-senate/

Governor:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Connecticut Examiner
In a three-way contest, Gov. Ned Lamont leads Bob Stefanowski 46% to 40%, with 5% opting for Independent Party candidate Rob Hotaling, and 10% undecided according to the nonpartisan poll released on Saturday.
Senate:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Connecticut Examiner
The latest polls also suggest that few likely voters are splitting their ballots, at least on the state and national levels, with Sen. Richard Blumenthal leading challenger Leora Levy by a margin of just 5 points, 49% to 44% with 7% undecided.
Polling also shows that inflation/jobs/economy comes in at the top two issues on the minds of Connecticut voters, with abortion coming is as the third issue.

Old 10-15-2022, 03:43 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,880,304 times
Quote:

The most likely outcome at the national level is Republicans will control the house and Democrats will control the Senate. Thus, ensuring no meaningful legislation will be passed in the next two years at the national level.

As for the local stuff you are crying about local and state Govts don't have any control over energy prices, grocery prices, or inflation.

If you want to see real change the national Govt would institute price controls today (which Nixon (R) did in the 1970's. No congress person (D) or (R) is ever going to do that let alone even suggest it. It's the Free market today, tomorrow, and forever in a country full of neo liberal leaders.

Old 10-17-2022, 07:55 AM

2,507 posts, read 4,757,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You also seem to forget that the Republicans fiscal history includes enacting the income tax (Weicker), borrowing $1 billion to balance the budget (Rell) and proposing to borrow hundreds of millions for transportation spending with no way to pay for it (Republican Transportation Plan 2019). How is any of that better than advance paying our obligations?
Weicker was an Independent, not a Republican, when he ran and enacted the state income tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT
As for tolls, I ask you how exactly do you propose to pay for the billions in transportation improvements our state needs over the next 30 years? The gas tax hasn’t been raised in over 20 years and between inflation and alternative fuel vehicles, it’s days are numbered for giving our state the revenue it needs to maintain our transportation network let alone improve it. States across the country are turning to tolls to pay for them, as well as raising the gas tax. There’s no miracle solution again whether you like it or not.
Easily. Once dispensaries open, if that ever happens, we allocate tax revenue from these towards transportation. If there's a law or regulation that prohibits this, then we need to gut it. Bottom line, the residents of this state are already the most beleaguered taxpayers in the country. Some of our current lawmakers seem to have this idea that people are greedy if they want to hold on to a little more of their money as opposed to paying more taxes. It's not, and at a time when inflation is over 8% (as it was for September), it's very presumptuous for lawmakers to insist that people fork over more of their pay. To the usual wokesters who downplay financial hardships that families may be experiencing right now, I encourage them to volunteer to have more $ taken from their paychecks. There is a way to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT
As I said before, it is your wishful thinking that the Republicans will take over the state. We have a whole thread devoted to the failures of the Connecticut Republican Party.
The pendulum always swings back. In the '70s and '80s, CT voted more Republican in national elections than many of today's deep-red states. Times may have changed, but it's wrong to assume that it can't happen again just because our current political climate is different. Alaska recently had a special election where they voted for a Democratic congresswoman. While she must run again next month, this was the first time since 1973 that AK had a member of Congress that wasn't Republican. This is why I have said, and will continue to say, it's a tossup with what will happen in the midterms this year, including in this state. Expect a number of close elections. Very few of them will be landslides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut