Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2022, 05:07 AM

7,928 posts, read 7,828,278 times

Advertisements

You have to have some standards on crime. Obviously you don't make everything a life sentence but at the same point there has to be a quality of life. Generally prison is for violent offenders. However, some of it bubbles up. See Broken Window Theory. You have to eventually charge for things like illegal dumping, littering, smoking in public etc. Fines only go so far. Blight can be anywhere and it's creeped up alot. I know of business that have closed and when they closed they haven't done any maintenance post covid. Grass is tall and this is in the suburbs.

If we want to go after lamont it might be hypocracy in hiring. The state passed two laws under him that frankly put small businesses in an odd spot.

https://www.hrpolicy.org/insight-and...ries-as-feder/

So you cannot ask salary history on applicants.

But then we have this
https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtoo...ge-ranges.aspx

Now I'm all for transparency and have no issue at all with the second one. However when you combine that with the first this makes no sense.

Let's say you are a small business looking for a admin assistant. Imagine you are HR
You put out an ad about a job
You find someone good that expresses an interest but before she applies she asks about the pay salary so you disclose it's a range of 55-65K
She applies but she doesn't fill out the salary she was at because of the law.

Ok so what exactly is HR supposed to do? The concept is information asymmetry. This might explain why hiring in CT is taking long and HR departments are backed up. So if they don't want to miss out on a good candidate that means probably more interviews which delays it for everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2022, 07:07 AM

752 posts, read 555,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
No, crime is not going downward. Back in Malloy’s last years in office, his administration quietly reclassified crime, changing level of charges and effectively eliminated the ability to charge juveniles with certain crimes after establishing a literal catch and release program where the charge is never filed and never even makes it to the prosecutor’s desk. It doesn’t mean the crimes aren’t happening - it means they just aren’t reported to reflect in the UCR.

Anyone who thinks crime is lowering was duped by the manipulation of Malloy and his cronies. I can’t scream that loud enough on this forum. Pay attention!
Malloy? Wasn't he governor over a decade ago? If the change occurred, then how does that affect year-over-year comparisons between 2020, 2021, and 20222? Sorry, I'm going to go with the statistics over a politically convenient "Trust Me! Crime isn't going down! I know about the secret crime..."

Old 10-04-2022, 07:50 AM

6,931 posts, read 3,766,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
B

A Lamont victory does not change that from happening, and it's more of a matter of when, versus if. Crime is the 2022 suburban conversation. One formerly held just in our worst cities for safety. Courtesy of liberal failed policy.
Exactly. These are different times. These aren't your parents/grandparents liberals and conservatives anymore. These are an entirely new breed. You know this.
Tens and tens of thousands of CT urban, suburban, and even many in the prized affluent suburbs are fully behind Lamont and the progs - One Hundred Percent, no question.
It's time to let CT go, it's over.

Old 10-04-2022, 10:19 AM

21,634 posts, read 31,237,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMilford View Post
Malloy? Wasn't he governor over a decade ago? If the change occurred, then how does that affect year-over-year comparisons between 2020, 2021, and 20222? Sorry, I'm going to go with the statistics over a politically convenient "Trust Me! Crime isn't going down! I know about the secret crime..."
A lot more factors come into play for 2020-21, when Connecticut was completely locked down and people were largely not in the streets, stores and restaurants. That eliminates a significant amount of crime opportunity and as a result, an obvious lower crime rate. 2022 isn’t over, so YOY stats cannot be accurately gathered.

Then there was the passing of the Police Accountability Bill, which resulted in proactive policing (which yields a pretty significant percent of criminal arrests) plummeting across the board. That also matters.

It’s convenient to argue “politics” but politics aside, you have to look at ALL the facts, and not solely what we choose to accept.

Old 10-09-2022, 06:26 PM

I saw the new Stefanowski ad with his family, as has everyone else here, and I have to say it's great. The play on words with "extreme" is absolutely brilliant.
It won't be enough though to overcome the unstoppable juggernaut that is the Lamont Machine. Lamont holds a hypnotic spell over the state that has now reached legendary mythical hero status statewide from the lowest of income areas all the way up to the limo progs in the prized affluent suburbs.

Old 10-09-2022, 09:24 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,188,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Bingo, and even in solid Blue Ct, at some point, there will be a backlash politically. To the millennials who may naively say "No", I can state in crime ridden early 80s NYC, the notion of Mayor Giuliani, Mayor Bloomberg, PD Chief Bratton, the Broken Windows policy, Stop & Frisk done massively, plus a man shooting 4 defending himself on a subway with 2 juries NOT convicting him on the shots all seemed like the Twilight Zone.

It all happened.

Liberals today, coddling hoodlums, are leading straight to future tough on crime reform. Without knowing it, of course. Even in solid Blue liberal Ct. NYC, when it elected Rudy to clean it up, was even more leftwing than Ct now.
Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:08 PM

278 posts, read 146,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I saw the new Stefanowski ad with his family, as has everyone else here, and I have to say it's great. The play on words with "extreme" is absolutely brilliant.
It won't be enough though to overcome the unstoppable juggernaut that is the Lamont Machine. Lamont holds a hypnotic spell over the state that has now reached legendary mythical hero status statewide from the lowest of income areas all the way up to the limo progs in the prized affluent suburbs.
Is Lamont even running for governor this election? It seems all I see are Stefanowski signs and ads. At the debate, Lamont couldn't even string a tie around his neck. Meanwhile there is Stefanowki with his perfectly coifed hair, looking like a Kennedy.

On my 30 minute drive home from work the other day I counted campaign signs for Bob vrs. Ned. 14 for Bob and only 1 for Ned. And this transpires beyond red vrs blue. Saw many yards with signs for Democratic candidates, but no Lamont signs. If this represents how this election goes, Bob not only has a chance, but Bob could win big. There isn't a diner in the state that Stefanowski can't fill.

The ad you speak of just further goes to show how dangerously relatable Bob is. Hometown Bob. Family Bob. CT Bob. Ned...well Ned is not even from a state.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out in November.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:10 PM

21,634 posts, read 31,237,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnho771 View Post
Is Lamont even running for governor this election? It seems all I see are Stefanowski signs and ads. At the debate, Lamont couldn't even string a tie around his neck. Meanwhile there is Stefanowki with his perfectly coifed hair, looking like a Kennedy.

On my 30 minute drive home from work the other day I counted campaign signs for Bob vrs. Ned. 14 for Bob and only 1 for Ned. And this transpires beyond red vrs blue. Saw many yards with signs for Democratic candidates, but no Lamont signs. If this represents how this election goes, Bob not only has a chance, but Bob could win big. There isn't a diner in the state that Stefanowski can't fill.

The ad you speak of just further goes to show how dangerously relatable Bob is. Hometown Bob. Family Bob. CT Bob. Ned...well Ned is not even from a state.

There’s no doubt about it; Ned will win. CT has gone too far to the left to ever come back to normalcy, IMO.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:11 AM

7,928 posts, read 7,828,278 times
Oh I certainly see a fair amount of Lamont ads and signs but I have to tell you I'm probably going third party with this. Stephanowski waited way too long to create decent ads and I think he's going to gain some but I can't really see him winning overall. If Lamont wins but the winning is only by a few percentage points it's not going to look like a mandate and it's actually going to probably be look worse then if he has actually lost.

I don't think Lamont is far to the left. But there are some representatives in some City councils that can tend to go much further to the left. If you want to see drama just look at the Hartford City Council. Sometimes it really doesn't matter what happens on a state level if locally you've got people that don't know what they're doing and fighting each other

Old 10-11-2022, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C28067302 View Post
I thought that commercial was so cheesy and terrible I cringed the whole way through! It's honestly painful to watch but they just keep playing it lol
This response is precisely what I'm talking about. Lamont is the Crown Jewel of CT. Hero to many. An iconic figure. Any opposition will be quickly dismissed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnho771 View Post

No, you're right, Lamont isn't running for re-election. He's skating to it. The skates are still sharp from the last election. This one will be even easier as he since ascended to greatness never before seen in CT. Hundreds of Ks bow down in his mere presence.

Yes, even the bluest of states like CT will still always have red outposts. Staten Island, Eastern LI, Orange County, Inland Empire, interior OR and WA as a few examples. On the other side you have Austin and Tampa/Dunedin blue outposts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut