Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2022, 06:42 AM

553 posts, read 341,477 times

Advertisements

People going into unlocked cars and others stealing catalytic converters apparently are the crimes making everyone feel "unsafe".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2022, 07:28 AM

7,321 posts, read 3,993,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Nobody is moving the goalposts. I am correctly pointing out that people in general do not feel safe regardless of the alleged reduction in crime. Yes, we SHOULD be concerned about how brazen criminals have gotten because they are largely juveniles who get away with just about everything in this state, and people are tired of it. I don't expect you to understand. As I suggested earlier, talk to some of the people who have been pistol-whipped, shot at, or dragged under a car by one of these thugs. Yes, these HAVE all happened, as the news has confirmed.

I'm not going to argue this anymore, so save your breath with any further responses.

Ciao,
This is the way it will be in proggresive blue states like CT going forward, permanently. The final decisions have been made. It's all official now.
Have you thought about re-locating to a safer and more conservative state? many do everyday in record numbers.

Old 10-03-2022, 05:11 PM

35,301 posts, read 57,495,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchem View Post
People going into unlocked cars and others stealing catalytic converters apparently are the crimes making everyone feel "unsafe".
No, I think it was the homeowner in Glastonbury who shot at when they yelled out their door in the middle of the night at criminals attempting to steal their car in their driveway. Or the guy in Naugatuck man who was critically injured when hit by his own vehicle when confronting a car thief. Or the 15 year old who crashed the car he just stole into a police cruiser. Or the woman that was carjacked in Hartford a couple months ago. Or the West Hartford carjacking victims back in February. Need I go on? Jay

Old 10-03-2022, 05:27 PM

772 posts, read 569,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
No, I think it was the homeowner in Glastonbury who shot at when they yelled out their door in the middle of the night at criminals attempting to steal their car in their driveway. Or the guy in Naugatuck man who was critically injured when hit by his own vehicle when confronting a car thief. Or the 15 year old who crashed the car he just stole into a police cruiser. Or the woman that was carjacked in Hartford a couple months ago. Or the West Hartford carjacking victims back in February. Need I go on? Jay
Hardly unique to Connecticut.

Again, crime is heading downward. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be vigilant, but, perhaps, we shouldn't be using statistical anomalies to scare people.

Old 10-03-2022, 05:49 PM

35,301 posts, read 57,495,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMilford View Post

Again, crime is heading downward. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be vigilant, but, perhaps, we shouldn't be using statistical anomalies to scare people.
I didn’t say it was but when people repeatedly hear these things on the news night after night, of course they are going to feel unsafe. Jay

Old 10-03-2022, 09:33 PM

34,287 posts, read 17,372,575 times
Quote:
Or the Milford man who confronted catalytic converter thieves and ended up with HUNDREDS of stiches via a box cutter.

Old 10-03-2022, 09:56 PM

6,981 posts, read 11,005,458 times
Quote:
Exactly. Nice to see some common sense instead of the usual gaslighting we often see when people express their fears. Statistics don't tell the whole story. Criminals are becoming more brazen because they don't fear the consequences of getting caught. This will translate into much higher crime statistics if it isn't addressed. The nature of crime is changing. In cities, crime has lost all rationality. Being mugged for your money is at least rational, and there are ways to decrease the odds of this. Today, we have people being randomly attacked for no reason, pushed onto subway tracks, etc. The Connecticut Post is pushing the line that "people don't feel safe but they should." If they are pushing it, then you know it is wrong. Sometimes, the average person can discern things that out-of-touch elites who must defend bad policies cannot.

Old 10-03-2022, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Exactly. Nice to see some common sense instead of the usual gaslighting we often see when people express their fears. Statistics don't tell the whole story. Criminals are becoming more brazen because they don't fear the consequences of getting caught. This will translate into much higher crime statistics if it isn't addressed. The nature of crime is changing. In cities, crime has lost all rationality. Being mugged for your money is at least rational, and there are ways to decrease the odds of this. Today, we have people being randomly attacked for no reason, pushed onto subway tracks, etc. The Connecticut Post is pushing the line that "people don't feel safe but they should." If they are pushing it, then you know it is wrong. Sometimes, the average person can discern things that out-of-touch elites who must defend bad policies cannot.

Old 10-04-2022, 04:08 AM

21,781 posts, read 31,477,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMilford View Post

No, crime is not going downward. Back in Malloy’s last years in office, his administration quietly reclassified crime, changing level of charges and effectively eliminated the ability to charge juveniles with certain crimes after establishing a literal catch and release program where the charge is never filed and never even makes it to the prosecutor’s desk. It doesn’t mean the crimes aren’t happening - it means they just aren’t reported to reflect in the UCR.

Anyone who thinks crime is lowering was duped by the manipulation of Malloy and his cronies. I can’t scream that loud enough on this forum. Pay attention!

Old 10-04-2022, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
No, crime is not going downward. Back in Malloy’s last years in office, his administration quietly reclassified crime, changing level of charges and effectively eliminated the ability to charge juveniles with certain crimes after establishing a literal catch and release program where the charge is never filed and never even makes it to the prosecutor’s desk. It doesn’t mean the crimes aren’t happening - it means they just aren’t reported to reflect in the UCR.

Anyone who thinks crime is lowering was duped by the manipulation of Malloy and his cronies. I can’t scream that loud enough on this forum. Pay attention!
Bingo, and even in solid Blue Ct, at some point, there will be a backlash politically. To the millennials who may naively say "No", I can state in crime ridden early 80s NYC, the notion of Mayor Giuliani, Mayor Bloomberg, PD Chief Bratton, the Broken Windows policy, Stop & Frisk done massively, plus a man shooting 4 defending himself on a subway with 2 juries NOT convicting him on the shots all seemed like the Twilight Zone.

It all happened.

Liberals today, coddling hoodlums, are leading straight to future tough on crime reform. Without knowing it, of course. Even in solid Blue liberal Ct. NYC, when it elected Rudy to clean it up, was even more leftwing than Ct now.

A Lamont victory does not change that from happening, and it's more of a matter of when, versus if. Crime is the 2022 suburban conversation. One formerly held just in our worst cities for safety. Courtesy of liberal failed policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut