Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2022, 07:01 PM

7,321 posts, read 3,993,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I’ve seen these ads too and think the exact same thing. The old woman who claims “Ned’s taxes” made her leave her home got me. Lamont didn’t raise their taxes. Their local politicians did that.

Then I hear the amounts these people say their taxes went up “a year”. I’d love to see the house that guy says his taxes went up $2,000 a year. Likely a mansion, not a regular house, and the guy is wealthy but complains about paying a nickel more than he has to. Not very believable. Jay
CT adores Lamont. He has nothing to worry about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2022, 07:33 PM

21,977 posts, read 28,452,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I actually want to talk about a Stefanowski ad. I saw an ad that showed people saying that thier property taxes have gone up. LOCAL property taxes going on is because of LOCAL politicians. How and why are these people blaming Lamont?

My taxes went up but that is becuase of the lunatics in my town not making the taxes revenue neutral after our revaluation. Those are my nutty LOCAL politicians that raised the taxes....that is not Lamont's fault.
Targeted at the same idiots that quibble on Facebook local groups

Old 09-27-2022, 07:54 PM

34,287 posts, read 17,372,575 times
My only major issue with Lamont (and he will win) is we are doomed to be dealing with ever escalating violent juvenile crime, due to the liberals making the concept of punishing the vile creatures a thing of the past. That also means, at some point, even in solid blue Ct, someone will remind us of the concept of self defense.

Lamont lacks the guts to go against the party line on this vital issue.

Old 09-27-2022, 08:22 PM

4,542 posts, read 3,442,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
CT adores Lamont. He has nothing to worry about
You are right about that. I went to the grocery store and the headline in the CT Post said Lamont is up by 15% in the polls.

Ned Lamont has 15-point lead over Bob Stefanowski in new poll
https://ctmirror.org/2022/09/27/ct-g...-election-2022

I will tell you why I really like Lamont. He has "big poppa" Mark Boughton (R) up there with him in Hartford. Lamont is smart enough to know that Boughton would beat him........so he gives him a job instead. I am also impressed that he had a Republican join him.

Here is the irony about the tax ad against Lamont. Mark Boughton (R) was Commissioner of the Department of Revenue Services. Lamont was taking a Republicans advice on taxes. Now Lamont put Boughton to oversee the infrastructure money. Pretty shrewd on Lamonts part.
https://portal.ct.gov/Office-of-the-...Senior-Advisor

I will tell you why Lamont is also very smart. He knows that Independents like me wanted Mark Boughton to be Governor. Now he does not have to worry about his toughest competition.....very shrewd.

Old 09-27-2022, 09:31 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,205,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
You are right about that. I went to the grocery store and the headline in the CT Post said Lamont is up by 15% in the polls.

Ned Lamont has 15-point lead over Bob Stefanowski in new poll
https://ctmirror.org/2022/09/27/ct-g...-election-2022

I will tell you why I really like Lamont. He has "big poppa" Mark Boughton (R) up there with him in Hartford. Lamont is smart enough to know that Boughton would beat him........so he gives him a job instead. I am also impressed that he had a Republican join him.

Here is the irony about the tax ad against Lamont. Mark Boughton (R) was Commissioner of the Department of Revenue Services. Lamont was taking a Republicans advice on taxes. Now Lamont put Boughton to oversee the infrastructure money. Pretty shrewd on Lamonts part.
https://portal.ct.gov/Office-of-the-...Senior-Advisor

I will tell you why Lamont is also very smart. He knows that Independents like me wanted Mark Boughton to be Governor. Now he does not have to worry about his toughest competition.....very shrewd.
Agree, very shrewd. Being shrewd about how to win elections, doesn’t equate to running the state in the best manner however.

Every politicians number one motivation is getting re-elected.
My property taxes went up $1100 this year. I just downsized 2 years ago. Hardly a mansion.

Old 09-28-2022, 05:29 AM

7,321 posts, read 3,993,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
My only major issue with Lamont (and he will win) is we are doomed to be dealing with ever escalating violent juvenile crime, due to the liberals making the concept of punishing the vile creatures a thing of the past. That also means, at some point, even in solid blue Ct, someone will remind us of the concept of self defense.

The hope is that juvenile crime remains the worst of it in CT. That's what they're banking on. Lamont has rapidly become a beloved CT treasure and an unstoppable force as he and the state trend proggier by the day. Some regulars here and hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of residents are fully entrenched and in Lamont's corner.

Old 09-28-2022, 06:31 AM

7,955 posts, read 7,899,474 times
Stefanowski just seems to be trying to pick fights where there aren't any. The reason I bring up historical preservation is to be frank if it isn't preserved many suburbs look the same. There has to be some encouragement to make historical districts and maybe create some revenue sharing program between the states and towns to assist in this.

The taxes really aren't that high but it's the bottlenecks I see that are the issue. There's too many protectionist policies that limit competition and drive prices up.

I am actually surprised that Stefanowski isn't lower. I'd figure Lamont would be at 65-70%

Old 09-28-2022, 06:58 AM

4,542 posts, read 3,442,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Agree, very shrewd. Being shrewd about how to win elections, doesn’t equate to running the state in the best manner however.
I think Lamont is doing a good job. If I were the Governor and there was any surplus, I would put that to pay down the debt and that is what Lamont is doing. To me he is more like an Independent like myself becuase.....

Democrats want more stuff with the surplus money &
Republicans want the money to go back to the people.

My dad was a businessman and he always taught me if you have debt you live as frugal as possible to get rid of it. That is what Lamont is doing.

Quote:

Every politicians number one motivation is getting re-elected.
I am a somewhat skeptical Independent, but I think both Lamont and Stefanowski both have good intentions in wanting to help our state. They just have a difference of opinion in how it should be done. I also think the majority of politicians from both sides IN CT that I have observed are not running for office for selfish purposes but becuase they genuinely want to help our area/state also.

Quote:

My property taxes went up $1100 this year. I just downsized 2 years ago. Hardly a mansion.
Do you live in Trumbull? If not what town is it?
My taxes went up about $80 a month but I have to pay for the escrow shortage on top of that for a year so my taxes in the next year will be up $125 a month. Maybe that happened to you too.

I was also thinking that some of the people in the Stefanowski ad might not realize that part of thier property tax increase includes the escrow shortage. And one again the escrow shortage is not Lamont's fault. That is how a bank functions.

Last edited by CTartist; 09-28-2022 at 07:06 AM..

Old 09-28-2022, 08:56 AM

21,977 posts, read 28,452,901 times
Property taxes went up due to inflation. Lamont didn't engineer that.

I do agree that being soft on crime is a truly puzzling stance of the Democratic party these days.

Old 09-28-2022, 09:22 AM

35,306 posts, read 57,495,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

You are correct. As we have talked about this here many times, the major issues with Lamont are this, police accountability and affordable housing mandates (8-30g). These should be hammered home by the Republicans. Instead they are just regurgitating the same failed lines from the past. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut