Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 09:06 AM

6,611 posts, read 5,014,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Luckily I didn't get any texts, though I did get a bunch of emails.

I voted by absentee ballot because I was on vacation and I wasn't sure I would be home in time for election day.

I wonder if I didn't get texts because they knew I already voted? I don't know if that information is available. I tend to doubt it but who knows? Connecticut's election system seems very outdated and manual so I doubt that level of sophistication is available.
I voted in person, never even looked into absentee voting this year, so that can't be it. And it seems like the do not call list is so full of loopholes that it doesn't work anymore so that's not why. But knock on wood I am NOT complaining!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2022, 10:02 AM

7,030 posts, read 3,817,704 times
Quote:
The crime issue just hasn't reached the magnitude here that it did in NYC, so I don't think crime was ever a serious threat to Lamont.

NY politics is very different due to the dominance of the state by NYC. When the suburbs were solidly Republican, New York was a swing state. The key to the political balance in NY is the suburbs. It lines up differently there than in CT, which lacks a single city that dominates the state the way NYC does in NY.

Even with poor opponents, Lamont and Blumenthal didn't rack up what I would call overwhelming victories. I think Lamont was unbeatable this time because his record is decent and he's not offensive. He was also not a COVID fanatic and he took a path different than NY did, and opened the state up sooner. Blumenthal was potentially vulnerable because, like many Washington politicians, he's approaching 100 years old and people are growing tired of the gerontocracy that is ruling the country as if it were the last days of the Soviet Union.

So I think better candidates could have narrowed the gap in the governor's race, and could beat a Democrat under the right conditions. I think a better candidate could have given Blumenthal a run for his money and even beaten him since he is getting a bit long in the tooth. But of course the Republicans, under the guidance of the wise leader Trump, nominated the worst possible candidate for Senate, and continued its practice of renominating retreads who have already lost for governor.
No crime was not an issue, you're right. I mean lets face it, you live in CT you live on Cloud Nine, how bad can things be. 830G? whatever
Lamont even won his hometown vote and Stefanowski's. That speaks volumes to the spellbinding aura and grip he holds over much of CT's population. He knew fully well Covid was an overreaction and did eventually let the towns dictate their own mandates but only after falling in line with his fellow massive ego high and almighty peers in CA, NY, and NJ. He had to put in the optics, set an example and be a good democrat.

Old 11-10-2022, 12:37 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,963,325 times
Quote:
The crime issue just hasn't reached the magnitude here that it did in NYC, so I don't think crime was ever a serious threat to Lamont.

NY politics is very different due to the dominance of the state by NYC. When the suburbs were solidly Republican, New York was a swing state. The key to the political balance in NY is the suburbs. It lines up differently there than in CT, which lacks a single city that dominates the state the way NYC does in NY.

Even with poor opponents, Lamont and Blumenthal didn't rack up what I would call overwhelming victories. I think Lamont was unbeatable this time because his record is decent and he's not offensive. He was also not a COVID fanatic and he took a path different than NY did, and opened the state up sooner. Blumenthal was potentially vulnerable because, like many Washington politicians, he's approaching 100 years old and people are growing tired of the gerontocracy that is ruling the country as if it were the last days of the Soviet Union.

So I think better candidates could have narrowed the gap in the governor's race, and could beat a Democrat under the right conditions. I think a better candidate could have given Blumenthal a run for his money and even beaten him since he is getting a bit long in the tooth. But of course the Republicans, under the guidance of the wise leader Trump, nominated the worst possible candidate for Senate, and continued its practice of renominating retreads who have already lost for governor.
Very good points. I was astounded to see that NYC's population is 40-43% of NYS. NYC is the greatest bulwark for a Democrat politician.

I really do see Republican openings in Connecticut. Once the Trump factor is removed, perhaps we can see a rehabilitation of the party in the state. I like Lamont in many areas, he has been a good manager of the state. I think Blumenthal needs to go, even if he is replaced with another Democrat, there needs to be a senator who is active/represents the state interests.

On an unrelated note, Fairfield rejected its charter revision, do you know why? I wasn't following Fairfield news that closely.

Old 11-12-2022, 09:20 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,972,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Very good points. I was astounded to see that NYC's population is 40-43% of NYS. NYC is the greatest bulwark for a Democrat politician.

I really do see Republican openings in Connecticut. Once the Trump factor is removed, perhaps we can see a rehabilitation of the party in the state. I like Lamont in many areas, he has been a good manager of the state. I think Blumenthal needs to go, even if he is replaced with another Democrat, there needs to be a senator who is active/represents the state interests.

On an unrelated note, Fairfield rejected its charter revision, do you know why? I wasn't following Fairfield news that closely.
I think the Fairfield Charter Provision was very poorly presented. I actually studied it in advance, and found it murky and difficult to understand. I can't imagine going to vote, reading it, and deciding on the spot to vote for or against it. It was just too confusing, and when that is the case, the fallback is to vote no.

Like most things these days, it also fell victim to partisan politics. Democrats seemed fiercely against it but I don't really know why, other than to give Kupchick a black eye, or maybe because they lost out on the decision of how to present it.

I doubt one person in ten actually understood it. I wouldn't count myself as one of them. I think issues like this are poorly suited for presentation to a public that doesn't understand the issue.

Old 11-12-2022, 09:21 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,972,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
No crime was not an issue, you're right. I mean lets face it, you live in CT you live on Cloud Nine, how bad can things be. 830G? whatever
Lamont even won his hometown vote and Stefanowski's. That speaks volumes to the spellbinding aura and grip he holds over much of CT's population. He knew fully well Covid was an overreaction and did eventually let the towns dictate their own mandates but only after falling in line with his fellow massive ego high and almighty peers in CA, NY, and NJ. He had to put in the optics, set an example and be a good democrat.
Not sure if you're serious or being facetious about Lamont's "spellbinding aura." I think he won a respectable victory against a weak opponent. His % of the vote would be somewhat higher if he had that spellbinding aura you speak of.

Old 11-15-2022, 10:25 AM

35,045 posts, read 57,143,115 times
Holy cow!!! In Southington, Democrat Christopher Poulos has ONE vote lead over Republican Tony Morrison. One vote!?! Amazing. Jay

Old 11-15-2022, 01:08 PM

9,924 posts, read 7,268,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Holy cow!!! In Southington, Democrat Christopher Poulos has ONE vote lead over Republican Tony Morrison. One vote!?! Amazing. Jay
Similar thing happened with a House race in NH - after a recount, the winner had a one vote advantage.

Old 11-15-2022, 01:18 PM

2,497 posts, read 4,734,411 times
Quote:
For anyone who says their vote doesn't count or that voting doesn't matter, here is proof that it does.

Old 11-15-2022, 01:20 PM

7,030 posts, read 3,817,704 times
Quote:
Not sure if you're serious or being facetious about Lamont's "spellbinding aura." I think he won a respectable victory against a weak opponent. His % of the vote would be somewhat higher if he had that spellbinding aura you speak of.
I don't think Stefanowski was all that bad a of a candidate and he still lost by double digits. He has an affable nature, sort of like a lovable goofball.
CT's highly elite lib prog base is growing by the day and these factions now view Lamonctimonius as they're exalted hero. Any repub candidate would have had they're work cut out for them.
His Highness even won repub strongholds in the state, Greenwich was blue on the map as was most of County and CT. Did you see proggy elite lib Westport on there? it was so dark blue that you could have mistaken it for black, you had a look closer.

Old 11-15-2022, 01:32 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,012,782 times
Quote:

Wow.

While Poulos had a six vote lead over his Republican opponent Tony Morrison on election night, a recanvas of more than 10,000 ballots over the course of the day Monday dropped that lead to a single vote. The final total was 5,297 votes for Poulos to 5,296 votes for Morrison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut