Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 10:05 AM

837 posts, read 506,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speegleagle View Post
The number of electric ( non hybrid) vehicles on the road in CT , and the amount of time they have been in existence is not enough to formulate a direct comparison to ICE vehicles for comparison regarding longevity.

On a scale of 100, the top brands for reliability according to Consumer Reports is in the mid 80s . Mazda, Toyota, 74 Lexus , etc.Toyota has 11 models, Mazda 7. Tesla has a few models, rated second to the bottom at 25. That might be enough evidence right there to say to a Legislator, why change the Law to promote an inferior product to be made more widely available to the consumer?

The science doesn’t change . The more you discharge and recharge a battery, the less capacity one will have. Then there is a conversation about what goes into making the battery, what happens to the battery after it is “ all used up” etc.

Bottom line, the Law isn’t changing. On it’s merits the Lawsuit should prevail.Rightfully so IMO.
When I meet somebody who owns one and regrets it, I'll let you know. So far, I haven't met one and I know quite a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 10:11 AM

786 posts, read 823,737 times
I own the Model 3 and have no regrets. Sure there's a small loss on battery % but its minimal.

The screen is impeccable, and 0-60 is still exhilarating 2yrs later.

Old 06-03-2021, 10:20 AM

929 posts, read 304,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Um computers have been in cars for decades. Of course CT can change the law. Big deal. Do you think a town goes to Best Buy to buy computers or does it go directly to Dell and HP?

Ask yourself some basic questions on cars.

How is it freedom if you have no choice to buy a new car to go to a dealership?

Why does every dealership sell only ONE brand of car? So if you want a Chevy and all you see is Honda you have to find the dealership. Imagine if a supermarket only had garlic?

Car dealerships are giving monopolistic practices as a franchise. Remember they really are NOT the manufacturers.

It is actually ILLEGAL in most of the country to sell new cars directly to people. The franchise owners make this so.

It is ILLEGAL to open up a new dealership in another dealerships territory. Why? Again monopoly. So if that Ford dealership gives you a bad price you have to drive to another that is out of territory for a new car.

Since it is nearly impossible legally to shut down the dealerships get passed down which is why the majority are "family businesses" well yeah obviously but that's not a selling point.

Car dealerships add at least $1,800 to the cost of a car. Also keep in mind the real money is in the add ons, extended warranties and the financing. when I bought my car I could have had one cheaper but I was in a hurry. Well they wanted this over years. They wanted $3,000 in interest. First payment 93%, second payment 6% and last 1%. It boosted my credit, you don't need to pay it over time to do that. I offered cash but they said you MUST finance. Yeah whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMWmYJOa-BM

Also keep in mind cars keep people poor. You borrow to buy them, have to pay to maintain them AND they drop in value. Can you imagine if houses were the same way? Who would buy a house if you were 100% assured it would drop. Who would be a real estate agent in that market?

Here's a variety of videos on this subject. Cars pretty much can keep people poor. Yeah I'm not talking about the guy making six figures with a Jag but look at where cars are sold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um1al0ncKCA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yig2etl02k0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtJXl6pk0Z4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EowIuipKrc4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbFDC2ZQhR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LVhRgFN46U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qOaT8dnnpA

the poorer the area the more you are going to see the emphasis towards cars. Auto dealerships, auto parts stores, car washes, repair shops etc. Look I get it some don't like Tesla because it cuts most of this out but I'm tired and many people are tired of doing maintenance on something that drops in price. Where are you most likely to see stores like this? Hartford and Bridgeport or West hartford and FFC?

Here's a question. Outside of Jay Leno how many rich or famous people do you see actually driving? Do you think Bill Gates drives or Oprah? No of course not. Heads of state are the same thing. Everyone knows what the whitehouse looks like but it's not like Biden drives a tbird.

Capitalism is about creative destruction. Did we cry when they got rid of toll workers? How about people that fixed payphones or made phone books, how about print houses that made encyclopedias? How about film development? If someone is in a trade they can learn another. If you can understand engines you can work on boat engines or boilers or learn HVAC.

Sure CT can change the Law. But there needs to be a reasonable basis to do so. Not here, not now.

How is it freedom? I can choose the dealership. There are multiple dealerships within a half. Hour of my home for the brand. I prefer. I have economic freedom to make the best deal I can. I can make a. Deal based on a relationship.

Dealer Direct? One price for all. Turns a customer into a Consumer.

The manufacturers have chosen a path for sales that best benefits their vision to deliver their product as they see fit. The current Law supports that. Not happy ? Go Elsewhere.

Videos? Please.

Cars don’t “ make people poor”. People’s behavior and specific actions place them in positions of potential financial harm.

My 1994 Corolla, bought new in 1994 finally died a few years ago. 195,000 on the original clutch, it was still getting over 30MPG. It. Was in use 7 days a week, all kinds of weather . Never broke down, never needed a tow. No major repairs. Unbelievable vehicle for the cost.

When Tesla and other non hybrid electric vehicles approach anything near that type of performance, I will gladly take a closer look.

Regardless of the finger pointing,, accusations of monopolies and. nonsensical analogies and the like , there isn’’t enough benefit to the citizen to change the existing status quo.

Old 06-03-2021, 10:23 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,810,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speegleagle View Post
The number of electric ( non hybrid) vehicles on the road in CT , and the amount of time they have been in existence is not enough to formulate a direct comparison to ICE vehicles for comparison regarding longevity.

On a scale of 100, the top brands for reliability according to Consumer Reports is in the mid 80s . Mazda, Toyota, 74 Lexus , etc.Toyota has 11 models, Mazda 7. Tesla has a few models, rated second to the bottom at 25. That might be enough evidence right there to say to a Legislator, why change the Law to promote an inferior product to be made more widely available to the consumer?

The science doesn’t change . The more you discharge and recharge a battery, the less capacity one will have. Then there is a conversation about what goes into making the battery, what happens to the battery after it is “ all used up” etc.

Bottom line, the Law isn’t changing. On it’s merits the Lawsuit should prevail.Rightfully so IMO.
Right but ALL cars have batteries If all you have to replace is the battery that's not that big of a deal to be frank. Tesla was 15, not 25 but thanks for playing

https://www.forbes.com/wheels/news/j...orts-rankings/

"Tesla Ranks 15th of 32. Fans Still Love Tesla
Tesla ranked in the middle at No. 15 (tied with Genesis and Mini). Reliability issues with the Model S, Model Y, and Model X hurt the electric vehicle maker. Tesla’s fourth vehicle, the Model 3, is its biggest seller. But Consumer Reports noted that the brand enjoys “remarkably high scores for owner satisfaction and in CR’s road tests.” Higher than Ford and Chevy. Best domestic is buick and most european makes outside of porshe are lower.

Is your argument against just tesla or against buying directly from a manufacturer? Keep in mind the CT law hurts car companies. Let's say Ford wants to sell more in New London. Well if the dealership there is crappy they can't just get rid of him and have someone else. Bad dealerships can cost companies significantly. Long ago I used to deal with John Deere. JD has a policy that ONLY they can uncart their products otherwise there's no warranty. It MUST be done by the local dealership. Well "first thing in the morning" turned into well past noon. We actually lost sales when we said the service would be though them. Eventually they closed.

Old 06-03-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
I own the Model 3 and have no regrets. Sure there's a small loss on battery % but its minimal.

The screen is impeccable, and 0-60 is still exhilarating 2yrs later.
Pleased to hear it.

Old 06-03-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Right but ALL cars have batteries If all you have to replace is the battery that's not that big of a deal to be frank. Tesla was 15, not 25 but thanks for playing

https://www.forbes.com/wheels/news/j...orts-rankings/

"Tesla Ranks 15th of 32. Fans Still Love Tesla
Tesla ranked in the middle at No. 15 (tied with Genesis and Mini). Reliability issues with the Model S, Model Y, and Model X hurt the electric vehicle maker. Tesla’s fourth vehicle, the Model 3, is its biggest seller. But Consumer Reports noted that the brand enjoys “remarkably high scores for owner satisfaction and in CR’s road tests.” Higher than Ford and Chevy. Best domestic is buick and most european makes outside of porshe are lower.

Is your argument against just tesla or against buying directly from a manufacturer? Keep in mind the CT law hurts car companies. Let's say Ford wants to sell more in New London. Well if the dealership there is crappy they can't just get rid of him and have someone else. Bad dealerships can cost companies significantly. Long ago I used to deal with John Deere. JD has a policy that ONLY they can uncart their products otherwise there's no warranty. It MUST be done by the local dealership. Well "first thing in the morning" turned into well past noon. We actually lost sales when we said the service would be though them. Eventually they closed.
Jan 2021 issue of Consumer Reports. Only Lincoln’s are worse.. That’’s the source I noted, not Forbes.

Battery replacement on a Tesla is not like the 12 volt in an ICE. And FOR. THAT Reason ,, among others the long term ownership. Cost can’’t be. Truly. Achieved.

I. Wouldn’t go near a Tesla with my $$$. If anyone wants. Them, be my guest. However the. Existing Law should not be changed for a company. That chose a business model contrary to existing Law and practices. That’’s pandering.

Your anecdotal information can be easily countered by positive experiences. Just as well.

My previous 2011 Toyota for quite some time had the starter motor gear “ hang up” occasionally . . The Dealership couldn't’’t recreate it when in for service.. This went on for about 6. Months, when the vehicle had 125,000. Miles on it.

Finally it got more pronounced. The Service manager agreed to only cover the cost of labor ,and I Only had to pay for a new starter. That’s what can happen to customers when you build a relationship with someone over the years .

Old 06-03-2021, 10:54 AM

537 posts, read 331,034 times
Laws demanding cars be sold through a dealership is the antithesis of a free market economy.

Old 06-03-2021, 11:18 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
When I meet somebody who owns one and regrets it, I'll let you know. So far, I haven't met one and I know quite a few.
Friend of mine owned a model S for three years and ditched it for a BMW. He absolutely loved the car at first, but found that the software update process was glitchy and got worse over time. Eventually had issues with the car shutting down while driving due to software crashes. I think there was a recall issued after he traded it in. He felt that the lack of local dealer to interact with to troubleshoot the issue was a negative.

Old 06-03-2021, 11:23 AM

837 posts, read 506,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Friend of mine owned a model S for three years and ditched it for a BMW. He absolutely loved the car at first, but found that the software update process was glitchy and got worse over time. Eventually had issues with the car shutting down while driving due to software crashes. I think there was a recall issued after he traded it in. He felt that the lack of local dealer to interact with to troubleshoot the issue was a negative.
They definitely had growing pains. I had my Ford into the dealership for 3 times before they finally agreed to replace my transmission. Even then, the replacement one is still sketchy. I've had 10 total recalls.

Old 06-03-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchem View Post
Laws demanding cars be sold through a dealership is the antithesis of a free market economy.
It is not,.
Legislation, the creating of Laws , is a direct consequence of freedom. With freedom , citizens have a rational and prescribed course of action to determine what is best for society.

Both buyers and sellers asked to adhere to existing laws are not under the demand of anyone except the process of the elected representatives that make those decisions. That being the Will of the People.
The participation in the marketplace is an acceptance of the conditions that exist. By both buyer and seller.

As long there is a mechanism to change, modify , eliminate or create new Laws, the Free Market economy is preserved.

Don’t like the Law? Present overwhelming evidence to support change. Pretty simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut