Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 04:58 PM

929 posts, read 304,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
CT doesn't have the political will to go after Tesla. They would be the laughing stock of the country
Like unbreakable windows in a pickup truck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 05:06 PM

21,737 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speegleagle View Post
Like unbreakable windows in a pickup truck?
That stunt, if anything, just helped Tesla.

Old 06-03-2021, 05:26 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
We have done fine under the present circumstances. Will Tesla be a part of the Community , donating to worthy causes, spending money on advertising, supporting youth sports teams and other endeavors?

Will they employ local residents ? What you are saying is that we should cut out the “ middle man “”because one company decides to buck the status quo? Carbon credits? The energy energy credits nonsense is one big scam based on a theory, enriching certain actors. Ever hear about. “ wind power ”” ? Another scam.

Without the American taxpayer and Progressive shenanigans Tesla would still be a pipe dream. They aren’t really a car company, they are a battery company that sells computers with wheels. Overpriced,, not practical for the average American , American taxpayers have subsidized a play toy for the wealthy

The bottom line is what will they do for the greater good? Electric cars non Hybrids have sales in CT in the single digits percentage wise. There will not be a rush to buy them.
Quote:
Is that all you have? Progressives have scammed billions from Taxpayers for their green energy scams. Should we. Go off topic and post the list of failures ??

I don’’t care about 44 other states. What other Laws. And practices should we change while we are at it? Texas has open carry for firearms , should we follow that?
Your Grandmother got ripped of? Ripping people off is common and ordinary in American everyday life in almost every business.

Yeah sure, put the car. Dealers out of Business because one Company that sells a handful of cars in CT doesn’t comply. Get rid of All those sales people,, service. Technicians ,, support, etc. Pull the plug on. The property taxes the dealership pays.

Tesla honest?? They modify their information, production numbers, etc. when it comes time for that earnings call. I don’’t recall any Hoffman Executives being called out and restricted by the SEC, do you?
Quote:
Spin all you wish. Today’’s. electric cars have barely improved the distance between charges in 100 years despite all the fancy. Fashionable. Accessories and hype.. The bottom line is that the cars can’t push. Up in the market because they just can’’t compete.

So throwing money at them hasn’t worked, so I guess it is time to Change Laws, get rid of Jobs,, reduce tax revenues . Sounds like a plan to be fashionable..

Do you care to back a single one of these statements? Granted, some of these are political editorializing, but then there are parts that are just plain wrong. The idea that electric cars have barely improved the distance between charges in 100 years is silly. The cars are much different and the batteries are far more energy dense and can last through a lot more duty cycles. Much of the basic chemistries and the process for making batteries have changed.

Do you work for or own a stake in a car dealership? It's rare that anyone who is neither would really defend the dealership model as a particularly great one and going through them is a common complaint given how slimy so many of them end up being. Dealerships don't necessarily disappear with the direct sales model--supposedly dealers can figure out a way to be less unpleasant, but it'd be great for them to have a kick in the pants to provide a bit of incentive.

Old 06-03-2021, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Do you care to back a single one of these statements? Granted, some of these are political editorializing, but then there are parts that are just plain wrong. The idea that electric cars have barely improved the distance between charges in 100 years is silly. The cars are much different and the batteries are far more energy dense and can last through a lot more duty cycles. Much of the basic chemistries and the process for making batteries have changed.

Do you work for or own a stake in a car dealership? It's rare that anyone who is neither would really defend the dealership model as a particularly great one and going through them is a common complaint given how slimy so many of them end up being. Dealerships don't necessarily disappear with the direct sales model--supposedly dealers can figure out a way to be less unpleasant, but it'd be great for them to have a kick in the pants to provide a bit of incentive.
Nothing is silly. 80, 90 miles on unpaved roads, with the tires and mechanicals at the time , was what was achieved . 40 K for a Tesla to go 200 or so miles on smooth roads. Those special hubcaps to help out, bet they looked great back in the day.

You can argue the use of the word” barely” , however the hundreds of millions of taxpayer money in Tesla’s pockets makes the expectation level at a higher standard.
Of course battery technology has changed, but at what cost? How many taxpayer dollars supported those efforts? It still falls far short of an ICE.

I can back anything and everything up if I care to spend the time.

I do not work for a dealership, I never have, and have no affiliation to any dealership. I am involved in this discussion because I live in CT, and am I a former consultant. I like to pass the time between workouts.

You are like the others, speculating. “ dealers don’t necessarily disappear” . The fact is no one knows what will occur until it actually happens.

Old 06-03-2021, 06:38 PM

464 posts, read 312,148 times
Quote:
You are so incorrect. There are hundreds if not thousands of businesses that are prevented from selling direct to the end user, as it is referred to in many industries.

It’s called “ the trade” .

Thanks for your participation.
Care to share at least a few examples of these “1000’s of companies” that CANNOT sell D2C? I’m looking around my house, including the house itself and everything in it, and honestly struggling to find consumer products that I cannot buy from the company directly. Plenty of business don’t want to go D2C because they don’t want to damage supply chain relationships, have to deal with shipping costs, logistics, returns, etc etc etc but actually legally prevented from doing so? Please share some examples.

You wrote in a previous comment “I wouldn’t want to buy a $60K car direct and would want a dealership”. I don’t understand this. By definition you are paying MORE from the dealer in total costs, otherwise they wouldn’t have a business. Because the price point is higher, you want a process that means you’ll pay more? A used car at least requires some concern around maintenance, visual appearance, inspection but a brand new car is a standardized commodity. As long as it is model X and has features A, B and C, with the internet and ability to research and analyze, I have no idea why you need a commissioned sales person selling you that car.

Old 06-03-2021, 06:45 PM

6,892 posts, read 3,736,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That stunt, if anything, just helped Tesla.
That was the good old days. Long ago.
Mob victims with concrete shoes sink to the bottom of oceans slower than Tesla right now.
The next GE and Cisco. Remember them

Old 06-03-2021, 06:51 PM

464 posts, read 312,148 times
Quote:

You are like the others, speculating. “ dealers don’t necessarily disappear” . The fact is no one knows what will occur until it actually happens.
Why is this so difficult to understand? People typically like to get a product for the lowest price but are willing to pay more if it’s easier, quicker, has more features, get better customer service, personal relationship, good will past experiences or price difference is negligible and not worth hassle.

If a dealership adds value through one of those channels and in turn wants to charge more, sell high profit margin add ons or lucrative (for them) financing terms/fees, than great. The customer will be willing to pay the higher fees because they see value in what the dealership provides. Dealerships that are scared of a direct model fear it because they know their value add isn’t that great, PERIOD.

I would MUCH RATHER buy tickets to a concert or game direct for face value and little/no fees. The car dealership is essentially a ticket reseller that adds fees. If you get warm and fuzzy buying from the dealer, and there are enough consumers like you, dealerships have nothing to worry about

Old 06-03-2021, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1017 View Post
Care to share at least a few examples of these “1000’s of companies” that CANNOT sell D2C? I’m looking around my house, including the house itself and everything in it, and honestly struggling to find consumer products that I cannot buy from the company directly. Plenty of business don’t want to go D2C because they don’t want to damage supply chain relationships, have to deal with shipping costs, logistics, returns, etc etc etc but actually legally prevented from doing so? Please share some examples.

You wrote in a previous comment “I wouldn’t want to buy a $60K car direct and would want a dealership”. I don’t understand this. By definition you are paying MORE from the dealer in total costs, otherwise they wouldn’t have a business. Because the price point is higher, you want a process that means you’ll pay more? A used car at least requires some concern around maintenance, visual appearance, inspection but a brand new car is a standardized commodity. As long as it is model X and has features A, B and C, with the internet and ability to research and analyze, I have no idea why you need a commissioned sales person selling you that car.
The Tesla facility I believe is to be on CT Boulevard in East Hartford. Head east , when you get to Main Street, make a right. Go down the road a bit and you will see a Coca Cola facility there. Call them ahead of time and tell them to have 22 pallets of Coca Cola ready for the semi you are sending for pickup.

Or, try Pepsi on International Drive in Windsor , near Bradley Airport.

Companies may be prevented from selling direct to end users because of contractual agreements with distributors, wholesalers, etc. These are supported by case Law. Additionally, the sale of certain goods may have regulations imposed by the Government for quality and safety , among other reasons.

If you use Propane in a residence , you are mandated by Law regarding who you can purchase it from and under what circumstances.

The question if the cost from a dealership is more or less than a directly purchased model is unknown. Unless you know specifically what the dealer cost is , including all the incentives granted by manufacturers, and what the comparable direct price would be, there can not be an analogy.

Who says I need a commission sales person? Their internal processes for compensation are irrelevant.

Value is not just determined by price.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:15 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,092,847 times
Quote:

It hasn’t been demonstrated to a satisfactorily level that the current system is not in the best in test of the market.
Exactly what taxi cab drivers would have said before Uber & Lyft rocked their world. Exactly what rental car companies would have said before ZipCar and Turo. You get the picture.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Exactly what taxi cab drivers would have said before Uber & Lyft rocked their world. Exactly what rental car companies would have said before ZipCar and Turo. You get the picture.
What picture?

Uber and Lyft presented a better option, as did ZipCar and Turo. Where there Laws against what they were attempting?

Direct to consumer vehicle sales have not been proven to be superior to the present system in place.

We hear speculation and conjecture , emotional anecdotal outbursts, but just about zero substance to support the change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut